Chicks getting skinnier and skinnier...

*chook :>*

A child of bowling
**Quote, JK Rowling:

For Girls Only, Probably...
Being thin. Probably not a subject that you ever expected to read about on this website, but my recent trip to London got me thinking...

It started in the car on the way to Leavesden film studios. I whiled away part of the journey reading a magazine that featured several glossy photographs of a very young woman who is either seriously ill or suffering from an eating disorder (which is, of course, the same thing); anyway, there is no other explanation for the shape of her body. She can talk about eating absolutely loads, being terribly busy and having the world's fastest metabolism until her tongue drops off (hooray! Another couple of ounces gone!), but her concave stomach, protruding ribs and stick-like arms tell a different story. This girl needs help, but, the world being what it is, they're sticking her on magazine covers instead. All this passed through my mind as I read the interview, then I threw the horrible thing aside.

But blow me down if the subject of girls and thinness didn't crop up shortly after I got out of the car. I was talking to one of the actors and, somehow or other, we got onto the subject of a girl he knows (not any of the Potter actresses – somebody from his life beyond the films) who had been dubbed 'fat' by certain charming classmates. (Could they possibly be jealous that she knows the boy in question? Surely not!)

'But,' said the actor, in honest perplexity, 'she is really not fat.'

'"Fat" is usually the first insult a girl throws at another girl when she wants to hurt her,' I said; I could remember it happening when I was at school, and witnessing it among the teenagers I used to teach. Nevertheless, I could see that to him, a well-adjusted male, it was utterly bizarre behaviour, like yelling 'thicko!' at Stephen Hawking.

His bemusement at this everyday feature of female existence reminded me how strange and sick the 'fat' insult is. I mean, is 'fat' really the worst thing a human being can be? Is 'fat' worse than 'vindictive', 'jealous', 'shallow', 'vain', 'boring' or 'cruel'? Not to me; but then, you might retort, what do I know about the pressure to be skinny? I'm not in the business of being judged on my looks, what with being a writer and earning my living by using my brain...

I went to the British Book Awards that evening. After the award ceremony I bumped into a woman I hadn't seen for nearly three years. The first thing she said to me? 'You've lost a lot of weight since the last time I saw you!'

'Well,' I said, slightly nonplussed, 'the last time you saw me I'd just had a baby.'

What I felt like saying was, 'I've produced my third child and my sixth novel since I last saw you. Aren't either of those things more important, more interesting, than my size?' But no – my waist looked smaller! Forget the kid and the book: finally, something to celebrate!

So the issue of size and women was (ha, ha) weighing on my mind as I flew home to Edinburgh the next day. Once up in the air, I opened a newspaper and my eyes fell, immediately, on an article about the pop star Pink.

Her latest single, 'Stupid Girls', is the antidote-anthem for everything I had been thinking about women and thinness. 'Stupid Girls' satirises the talking toothpicks held up to girls as role models: those celebrities whose greatest achievement is un-chipped nail polish, whose only aspiration seems to be getting photographed in a different outfit nine times a day, whose only function in the world appears to be supporting the trade in overpriced handbags and rat-sized dogs.

Maybe all this seems funny, or trivial, but it's really not. It's about what girls want to be, what they're told they should be, and how they feel about who they are. I've got two daughters who will have to make their way in this skinny-obsessed world, and it worries me, because I don't want them to be empty-headed, self-obsessed, emaciated clones; I'd rather they were independent, interesting, idealistic, kind, opinionated, original, funny – a thousand things, before 'thin'. And frankly, I'd rather they didn't give a gust of stinking chihuahua flatulence whether the woman standing next to them has fleshier knees than they do. Let my girls be Hermiones, rather than Pansy Parkinsons. Let them never be Stupid Girls. Rant over.

I'm not sure how I came across this but when I read it I thought 'WOW! This is exactly how I feel'. I hate reading magazines now for this exact reason..

What are your opinions on this??

Alicia

PS I dont think that I could have an eating dissorder like that.. I love my food too much!!

Definately, I'm sick of seeing mags plastered with Nicole Richie, Lindsay Lohan, Mary-Kate Olsen, Kate Bosworth, Portia De Rossi...

What's up with the skin and bones look, it's not even attractive. I can't imagine what would make you want to do that to yourself, not to mention the effects it must be having on their bodies.

What will these celebrities have to show for their "Rabbit eating" in years to come? They may have all the glitz and glam of Hollywood, but they must be truley miserable.

I was always a size 8-10 whilst at high school & prior to falling pregnant, I'm now 28 & have 2 children. I'm a size 12 and honestly couldn't imagine not tucking into 3 pieces of pizza and a HUGE glass of coke every now & then or some Macca's or KFC.

These girls should be promoting a healthy image for our children & stop acting so ARTIFICIAL!!!!

Nice post Sleasha!
I too feel that way...I only like reading the mags that have articles on stars putting weight on, not shedding it (unless its someone like Oprah or Kirstie Alley who look great now).
As The Reggae said, the skin and bones look is not attractive. I get sick of lookin at pics of the mentioned celebs who were once a decent size but have now decided it is better to look like a freakin toothpick. Surely they are not healthy people...they always look frail and weak. Not cool...
And do you notice, as these girls get skinnier and skinnier, the clothes shown in magazines are doing the same thing? Drives me nuts...and no not just because I dont fit a 10 and probably never will, but because clothing sizes and images of celebs getting smaller and smaller seem to be forcing society to do the same.

Jen
P.S. I too love my food to much to have this kind of eating disorder hehehe!!

That emaciated, skin and bone look is absolutely bloody atrocious :mad:

I like my women with an attractive face, gorgeous eyes and smile with curves, and .... yeah ;)

That waif look, just looks totally sh*t.

i hate magazines like that because i believe its the reason why there is teen suicide and depression not to mention things like bulemia and its wrong.who says that these skinny chicks are beautiful? i presonally dont like hell skinny women, i like some one with a bit of curve to their body. i like other things that most people dont, but these sorta magazines are wrong.they teach young girls the wrong values about appearances

Ya gotta have some cushion for the pushin

Thinking thinking .................................oh:oops: :oops: Got it now #-o

Gary.......................................................:cool:

The Reggae said:
I was always a size 8-10 whilst at high school & prior to falling pregnant, I'm now 28 & have 2 children. I'm a size 12 and honestly couldn't imagine not tucking into 3 pieces of pizza and a HUGE glass of coke every now & then or some Macca's or KFC.
These girls should be promoting a healthy image for our children & stop acting so ARTIFICIAL!!!!

I agreed with you completely until you put "healthy image" and "Coke, Pizza, McDonalds & Kentucky Fried Chicken" together. They really are the artificial things. ;-)

That said, good points made by all. Women are lovely when they are squishy, but let's not fall for reverse snobbery and lay crap on all the slender girls. They are undoubtedly lovely or bitchy in the same proportion as every other size in both genders.

You want to know the really weird thing? Many of the photos have been "pinched" in Photoshop to make them even skinnier. I know it's unthinkable, but the media tells lies sometimes.

jason_doust said:
I agreed with you completely until you put "healthy image" and "Coke, Pizza, McDonalds & Kentucky Fried Chicken" together. They really are the artificial things. ;-)

Hey Jason,

I actually said I couldn't imagine not tucking into these foods EVERY NOW & THEN!!!! (as I do realise they are not healthy) & that these girls should be promoting a healty image for our children.

Just don't want people to think I'm a fast food junkie!!!

Speaking of which it's off to lunch for me for a nice big salad sandwich NOT ;)

Well, Pink seems to have got a good handle on the issue so good luck to her. As far as Pink herself goes, she's obviously no stranger to hamburgers and I think she looks better because of that.

All said and done though, has anyone listened to the lyrics of "You're pretty when I'm drunk" by the Bloodhound Gang?

In my opinion ... beauty is skin deep .... so it doesn't really matter whether u can fit in2 the smallest size of Bettina Liano's ... although Bettinas r very very very nice ... :D

But I think it's time 2 get real here. Women in 2day's society r struggling 2 become the "ideal woman" ... especially the physical aspect of it ... Some women may perceive that achieving a perfect physique will b the answer 2 all life's problems ... but yet ... I thought that hard work, dedication, persistence & a good heart gets you places ... ?!? Hmmm .. maybe not ...

What scares me the most is that kids r now looking up 2 celebrities who r young adults & have bodies of girls who haven't even gone through puberty yet! C'mon ... it's not realistic! I remember back when I was little frumpy teen ... who looked like a tomboy .. haha .. anyway! ... but girls my age had more meat on them ... then in high school (went 2 a Catholic girls school) ... it was Body Image galore ... !! There was pressure 2 b the prettiest ... skinniest girl in class ... but coming from a family that loves 2 eat ... I knew that becoming a size 6 was impossible!!

But now ... I think there is even more pressure on women all ages 2 b thin! When we go out 2 the clubs, we want 2 b the hottest chick there ... ! But with celebrities such as Lindsay Lohan, Nicole Ritchie, Mischa Barton, Hilary Duff Paris Hilton ... etc etc ... losing weight in an instant is the new craze ... ! If u saw them in person, they look really waify & actually quite frail.God bless their souls ... but shows like the OC portray a fantasy teen life ... where every1 is beautiful ... & a perfect size ... but yet .. in reality .. they're underweight ... :(

When I was working with the models @ L'oreal Melb. Fashion Festival this yr ... they were really very thin!!! So skinny that u can see their vertabrae when they're just standing getting changed! I mean, I know it's part of their industry 2 b a certain height & weight ... but u know that the majority of women in 2day's society don't look like models! & yet ... we shouldn't b a shame of our body size ...

I know I've babbled on a little bit here ... but it is a big issue. God created us the way we are ... & we should embrace the fact that we're healthy ... & living life! 2 me, curves r bloody hot!! When u see a lady that has hips, a great bust size ... & can totally work it ... then I congratulate her! She's flaunting one of the most amzing things in this world - the female body. Females (... & males) should realise that someone who is a gr8 person inside has beauty that shines within ... & doesn't need 2 b the skinniest girl on the block 4 others 2 notice that ...

Roxy :cool:

I agree with alot that has been said and I do think the most important thing is that you are happy with the way you are, whether you are a size 6 or 16. I personally was not happy and didn't feel good about myself after 4 kids and gaining 15kg....so I did something about it and lost it.

In all honesty I think if you look around you at teenagers these days most of them don't seem too concerned about being thin and seem quiet comfortable with the way they are...hanging it all out for lack of a better description. Still, isn't it a bit of a health concern for these girls later in life? What will their weight be after a few kids??? If they are this "healthy" now how healthy will they be at 30?

Just the opinion of a healthy but 'skinny chick'!!!:D

Back
Top Bottom