GARDEN CITY LANES TO CLOSE FOR ALL THE RIGHT REASONS

G

gardencitylanes

HI ALL,

Well it is true, the end of an era is near and as of the 23rd of December, Garden City Lanes shall cease to operate and a new era in bowling shall commence in Toowoomba.

It is certainly sad for some as this is the original centre and one which many have been loyal to since the centres commencement in 1977. But it is not closing because it is going broke or running at a loss. This is purely a decision made to benefit all involved and as I have always aimed to do, benfit the bowlers more than anything.

I was the one who personally came up with this solution to this long lasting problem of neither centre doing wonderfully well. I approached my owners Darryl and Cindy Donnelly, who may I say have been wonderful supporters of this entire venture from start to finish, and told them of my idea. With their permission I approached Sunset Superbowl to allow me to present them something that was an offer that would benefit all involved. The rest is history. They purchased portions of the business and all our leagues shall remain in there current formats and simply recommence at their new venue in 2005.

Allow me to explain the reasoning behind my desicions. Since Sunset opened 8 years ago, bowling in Toowoomba has struggled to maintain a solid business base for either centre. Sunset was always the supreme centre until we came along and redeveloped GCL which gave Toowoomba two centres of excellent standard but this simply gave Toowoomba people a greater choice of where to bowl both competitively and socially. It infact made it harded for both centres to maintain profitability. As a business person I could see no sense in continuing in a venture that was not producing a decent return for its investors. This was the case in both centres so to me the answer was obvious. Ammalgimate. And here we are with a strong and exciting future and all the towns skills and technology under one roof. Sunset have aquired the Kegel Oiling Machine so when I continue to run high quality tournaments, conditions will be of the highest quality.

It is now time to put the past behind us and the bitterness and hatred that raged between the two centres before we took over GCL, be gone and bowling shall prosper. This has always been my number one goal. That bowling be the winner. It is a wonderful sport and one that has brought me great pleasure over time and shall continue in years to come. I firmly believe that if this merger did not occur now or ever than bowling would suffer and consequently the wonderful people that have invested their money and time into the business side of the game would also find there unwanted demise.

I would like to take this opportunity to express a sincere thankyou on behalf of myself and the Donnellys for all the support that the bowlers in Toowoomba and Australia wide have given us in our two year stint at the healm of this centre. Our league bowlers have become like family. They stuck by us thankfully. Thankfully they gave us a chance and we proved our selves ten fold. Even now with the merge I shall not abandon them as I move to Sunset with them as league coordiantor to settle them in to their new home. ( Sunset did not attempt to use that list ).

Also, thankyou to all my staff that have been a part of a very hard working team. Lastly thankyou to the Donnellys who have given all they can to make this bowling centre one of Australias best rural centres. I wish them all the best in the future and hope they continue to prosper in there chosen ventures.

I look forward to seeing many of you in 2005 in a bowling centre some where and hopefully here in Toowoomba at a tournament at what will be the new and only home of Bowling in Toowoomba, Sunset Superbowl.

Many Thanks

Zane Que
Manager, GCL

Congratulations Zane on a smart move. I am sure that in the end it will be the bowlers who will benefit from the amalgamation and continue to enjoy the Sport we all love. May bowling in your area prosper and go from strength to strength. Good luck to all!

Roy Menachemson
CEO BowlAustralia Group.

i just wish Zane would be able to do something like this with some of the many centres down here in brisbane.. there's too many for bowling to succeed well.

congrats to Zane and everyone involved

I for one am very happy that Zane is finally getting some recognition for what he has done & HOPEFULLY when this is all over for him he won't be so cranky & will be able to lead a more normal life instead of working 200 hours a week to keep everybody happy except the people that are very close to him. Anyway mate you know my thoughts & you know I will stick with you or back you up in anything you do.
CONGRATULATIONS!

Zane

Hope to see you still at Sunset around East Coast time next year. Bowled in the event at Sunset in 1999 and think it will be bigger and brigther again in 2005 with your input into the Centre.

Sad to see the demise of Garden City however glad to see common sense has prevailed and bowling comes out the winner. Good luck to you for your future ventures in and out of bowling.

Zane, thanks for the superb efforts you have put into improving bowling and bowling opportunities, especially for the junior and youth ranks. These efforts (in conjunction with Cindy) have not gone unnoticed. Well done champ.

Can I suggest the "life ban" on one of your bowlers be extended to Sunset.

Cheers Zane, hope all goes well at Sunset and will see you around the traps.

Feral

An Official Apology

Hi All,

I would like to sincerely apologise to the parties I spoke ill of in an earlier post saying they took bowler lists to Sunset Superbowl. I was mislead and regret making this statement as it did not occur.

As I have said before I purely want bowling to be sorted out in Toowoomba and at the time I felt as I needed to air that grevence.

I have edited the post to remove those remarks so no future forum viewers see what I so wrongfully wrote.

Once again I apologise. I hope everything can move forward from here for everyones sake.

Many Thanks

Zane Que
Manager.

Back
Top Bottom