finger cracking

Steven

hi people id like some opinions and suggestions as to what i should do heres my problem
when i bowl i dont flare over the thumb but i flare right over my middle finger hole which leads to a big curve crack round my middle finger on the track everytime i roll my spare ball you hear bump bump bump same as my reactive balls as well regardless of where i start my hand on the ball whether it be at 11 0 clock or straight under the ball i flare next to the thumb but right over the middle finger and not on the ring finger in any way any ideas anyone every ball i own cracks in about 3 months from this has anyone got any suggestions i dunno what i should do thanks heaps

steve armstrong

Sounds as though you are releasing the ball with a funky release!

A coach is my first suggestion. Go to www.tenpin.org.au to find a list of accredited coaches in your area, or ask the local alley for suggestions on good coaches!

There are advanced drilling layouts that could assist you with a bandaid fix, (ie: something with a XH to raise bowties etc etc)but if you continue to roll like this, it may limit your future game!

All the best!

Steve has a very strong roll on the ball, it borders on an inverted roll, similar to my own. What he does do, he does well. He does have a coach (not me..) but I do feel there could be a slight modification to the release.

I haven't drilled up his equipment previously, but I'm punching up 2 balls for him tonight so I'll have a look. I pretty much guarantee that at least one of them won't flare over the finger.

In terms of the cracking, you're a bit of an unlucky man Steve. However from what I've seen, they shouldn't develop much more than what they are now.

Cheers,
Tim.

wow i have the same problem...

since i switched to 2handed style the ball is rolling over the fingers when im trying a 45 degree rotation, i know its not good but i cant help it :S

had a similar problem with axis tilt, resulted in a high track like some of you have. Had a look through the drilling sheets and noticed a few notes, changed the drilling to bring the pin and cg around 5 - 5 1/2" from the PAP, bias falls between centerline and track. Had the desired result and shifted the track away from the fingers. Bit of an alternative to changing your release, id start with weighing it to check sideweight before going anywhere though.

Interdicted said:
wow i have the same problem...
since i switched to 2handed style the ball is rolling over the fingers when im trying a 45 degree rotation, i know its not good but i cant help it :S

Still bowling with the thumb hole drilled? Its effectively a balance hole which is taking a large portion of weight out of the positive/thumb quadrant (basically to the bottom right of the ball from the centerline), which will change the track quite a bit.

i am an unlucky guy when it comes to bowling balls they always crack ive noticed in about 2 months i have 3 balls that havent cracked my super sport pearl and the saw blade and a trifecta the rest are ****ed i think i will have to start working on my release until i stop flaring over the fingers which should take time thanks everyone for your advice

steve armstrong

Steven
Make sure your driller bevels the edges of the finger holes before he glues in the lifters. (If he isn't doing this already) That will reduce the likelyhood of the fingers cracking - sharp edges are weak points.

Robbie.

A track that high indicates a lack of hand rotation during the release. (Not to be confused with revolutions.) Even with a two handed style, imagine turning your thumb down a pinch as you roll the ball off the hand. Close your release a bit just like Belmo does. It tilts the roll off the fingers. You can always go back to an open hand when the lanes are really dry.

Cheers,
Jason

Back
Top Bottom