Emerson Shield 2010

As A spectators point of view I agree it did lack a bit of atmosphere. Their didn't seem to be any of the same joviality as I seen and felt in the years of 2005 &2006 when I bowled in it for Ballarat. I agree with Deano if it hadn't been for Tothie and him going head to head it would have been rather boring. Even the women were very subdued and quiet which is usually unlike them. LOL

Both........................ maybe if the final was in a centre with better seating arrangments it would be better.............
Maybe its time to put the final back in a country centre............ and it was painful craig i was crap.........no fire in the belly

Hamma

Both........................ maybe if the final was in a centre with better seating arrangments it would be better.............
Maybe its time to put the final back in a country centre............ and it was painful craig i was crap.........no fire in the belly

Hamma

Very interesting comment Hamma and one I tend to agree with.

The last three years there have been complaints about the lack of atmosphere. Look at the three venues - Epping, Altona, Narre Warren.... They are all structured in a manner which could be argued as being "anti-social" - in that one table is far closer to the approach then the other.

I personally think there is more atmosphere at centres like Geelong, Werribee, Mentone.

The country idea also has merit, and I do agree with holding zone finals in the country.

Food for thought - people should be encouraged to suggest ideas (provided some people in this thread don't shoot them down in flames!). Anything to help make this event as great as it has the potential to be.

Definetly lacking Atmosphere,but I dont think 14 rounds caused it,personally I like 14 rounds,I think the seating arrangement was definetly a negative ,to get to your opponent to talk about the weather ;) was easy enough but to act as team was difficult because you could'nt fit all standing in there, I suppose where you chuck and what your used to does make a difference

The Good thing with top 4 from both zones means 8 teams and does open more country centres to having a final

Before this year the "finals" centre needed at least 22 lanes to cater for the 18 team draw (incl a breakdown pair an warm up lanes).
With 16 teams a centre will still need 20 lanes..

Before this year the "finals" centre needed at least 22 lanes to cater for the 18 team draw (incl a breakdown pair an warm up lanes).
With 16 teams a centre will still need 20 lanes..

Unless the players coming in off the bench can throw a few shots after their team has finished to warm up. I have seen that done before.

Unless the players coming in off the bench can throw a few shots after their team has finished to warm up. I have seen that done before.

I have seen that too Peter.. My mistake. However I think it would raise many more complaints if (god forbid) a lane/pair was out of action for an extended period with no spares to transfer to.

I'm all for a country final, if it can be done economically..

Also, can anyone clarify this.. Are zone finals usually held in the smaller goldpin centres to spread the tournament around to all Vic goldpin centres every so often? (eg. 12/14 lanes)

Also, can anyone clarify this.. Are zone finals usually held in the smaller goldpin centres to spread the tournament around to all Vic goldpin centres every so often? (eg. 12/14 lanes)

Correct, the country centres hold the zones and the city centres share the final.

Rob

i agree with the comments there definitely wasn't the atmosphere i've seen in past finals around the centre. Had there been a row of seating put behind the ball racks do people think that this would have helped or was it more the configuration of tables in the approach area that was the contributing factor?

The players areas weren't supportive of a team atmosphere at all. Made it hard to start off with. And most centres aren't built with the spectator's perspective in mind, so having seating for people to spectate probably wouldn't of made a lot of difference.

I'm not really sure what has changed over the years that has affected the atmosphere but it's definitely not as I remember it.

Maybe there is no answer for this one.... Or just a combination of factors that have changed the atmosphere??

I think a lot of the atmosphere comes from people getting to know each other and being more comfortable to drop the odd shoulder in or sit on the oppositions lap in Hamma's case. Start getting more familiarity between the country and city bowlers and you may see a lift.

Just in the process of updating the Emerson scores and the pdf file with both Men's and Women's averages is missing the 7th bowler for Werribee in both the men and women. I can work out the number of games and pins by difference from the team pinfall but i am not sure who the bowlers are.

If the team is the same for the final as for the zone then it is Karen Weston and Paul White who are the missing names - can someone please tell me if that is correct.

Thanks

Back
Top Bottom