Drifting

granat

Total Bowlerer
Can anyone help me? I tend to drift to the left on my approach is there anyway of correcting this from happening? My consistency in my game has now gone to putty. It feels like its only just started to happen. :(

Granat!

Drifting left - How many Boards? Is the real problem drifting different amount of boards each delivery? Does it affect your swing and release?
Does your drift change when you are sighting through different target areas? Do you have two or three steps that are uniform each delivery (called power or tempo steps). Measure the length of your steps each time by having a training buddy put coins down on the side of the approach as you bowl - then your training buddy or coach can see if your steps alter each time! Does your drift change when you are starting further forward (using a shorter approach) ? Your drift to the left - does it affect playing some areas of the lane more than others? :D
Am I asking too many questions? :shock:

Just a little of list of things you should try - experiment and report back.

To test how many boards you drift you should stand with your sliding foot on board 20 (centre dot onthe approach) complete your normal approach and deliver the ball in the direction of the 10 board (it does not matter if you hit it or not.) stay at the foul line and count the number of boards you drift right or left from the centre dot at the foul line - This is a Dick Ritger method of measuring drift and well used at all coaching camps. Count your drift for 10 or 15 shots.

Drifting left is not a bad thing as long as the drift is not too excessive does not alter your swing each delivery and you are able to reproduce the same size and step pattern each delivery and also that it does not prevent you from shooting all areas of the lane.

The most important thing in tenpin is your swing - anything that alters your swing and prevents you from delivering the ball easily should be eradicated.

Your steps and your approach should synchronise with your swing for perfect timing. You should feel great at the foul line each time you deliver the ball - I hope you have some success with monitoring your drift - Aren't there any coaches down there to help you? I know sometimes people just like to try new things and experiment and get another persons solutions to the problems - I hope I have given you some suggestions that will put you back on the track - feeling good at the foul line. :lol:

Wishing you success
Gail

Hi Gail

Thanks for your advice. I tend to drift 5 boards to the left and I think my paces are a bit uneven. I have been told when I drift I try and over compensate and release the ball different everytime. Last night at league I tried to concentrate to walk straight to my mark it worked for awhile then I lost the plot again I know it is going to take time but any advice is goood.
We don't have any coaches in Ballarat. Before my problem I was Averaging 154-158 in Ballarat and Werribee 171, my Ballarat average has droped to 151-156 over last 2 weeks thru inconsistency. :?
Nat

Granat you will find that ALOT of people drift board, and 5 isnt that many, you just have to trust yourself and throw the ball as you would normally, adjust until you are throwing it as you would like.

I know many people who drift and are still very consistent, just work hard at having it as an addition yo your game and you will overcome it.

Hi

I bowled league again last night and found that I wasn't drifting as much or throwing my arm out as to over compensate. I had somebody watching me and when I did those things he told me and I corrected on my next bowl and I definately found that taking a long breath helps to, and slowing my approach down too. :D :D

:D :D Thanks for all the advice that was given to me and I have felt better with my bowling since taking some advice. Again thanks :lol: :lol:

Back
Top Bottom