Do You Know What a "Ditch" is?

Do you know what these terms mean?

• Yes, I understand them perfectly.

Votes: 55 39.0%
  • I think I do, but tell me just so I'm sure.

Votes: 56 39.7%
  • No, I don't. Please explain what they mean (without getting too technical!)

Votes: 12 8.5%
  • No, I don't. But I'm a nerd like Jason! Please give me lots of details!

Votes: 18 12.8%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

jason_doust

The Bowling Geek
G'day Bowling Fans,

There's a lot of talk on Totalbowling about lane conditions and the terms "House Shot", "Ditch" and "Blocked Lane" get bandied about a lot. It occurred to me that a lot of folks (especially those who have learned to bowl in the last 10 years) may not understand what these terms mean.

I'd be happy to knock up a quick presentation explaining these terms. It takes time and effort to do so though and before I put all that effort in, I'd like to see if anyone wants to know.

So please take a second or two to vote in this poll and then I'll know whether I should do so.

Cheers,
Jason

I'm left handed, don't l always have a ditch? HA HA!!
Sorry Jason, but seriously l think an explaination for juniors and how these conditions affect their overall game is relevent.

i agree, even if we have a chat next time i bring one of the kids over to get some ball work done to organise a presentation by you to our training group would be great.

we'll no doubt talk about this one soon.

cheers
Shoey

that's easy to answer a HOUSE SHOT is what your local pub offers as a specialty, a DITCH is a hole in the ground that you probably fall in after to many house shots & a BLOCKED LANE is what happens while you wait for the ambos & police to come around to pick you up:D:p

that's easy to answer a HOUSE SHOT is what your local pub offers as a specialty, a DITCH is a hole in the ground that you probably fall in after to many house shots & a BLOCKED LANE is what happens while you wait for the ambos & police to come around to pick you up:D:p

Did you compose this while having the shots or while waiting in the blocked lane?

Seriously though it would be a good idea for the newbies to bowling to put up a solid explanation for them to peruse.

Pure gold Zambo. One of your best!!:D:D

I'd watch it.

Jason's had experience in the bowling world longer then I've been alive. I'd be interested.

Cow

Well I've bowled for a few years now, and I've had Shelto next to me for a few of them, so anything weird, wonderful and lunatic, I have heard but as previously mentioned, some of the 'newer' bowlers could learn a bit and us older ones need refreshers every now and then!!

And yes, great work rambo1.

Well I've bowled for a few years now, and I've had Shelto next to me for a few of them, so anything weird, wonderful and lunatic, I have heard but as previously mentioned, some of the 'newer' bowlers could learn a bit and us older ones need refreshers every now and then!!

And yes, great work rambo1.

Once i got my dirty paws on the century you all found out what one was!!!:D

Great work pete!

another one of your typical hilarious replies!

Once i got my dirty paws on the century you all found out what one was!!!:D

Marvellous what you could do with one of those things and some shirt box plastic! I've seen them shimmed with a couple of school rulers once. Couldn't miss on it with a sanded Sumo...

Marvellous what you could do with one of those things and some shirt box plastic! I've seen them shimmed with a couple of school rulers once. Couldn't miss on it with a sanded Sumo...

The plastic rulers were just the right thickness too, perfect 7-7 top hat!!!!

Thought this thread needed a theme song. :)

To the tune of 'Cheap Wine', with due apologies to Cold Chisel...

Once I had to do it all myself
I only had one ball
Baby that was years ago
We left it all behind
Integrity, I heard it died
Smashed on a wall a hundred units high
Baby that was years ago
We left it all behind
For our

Boom Balls and a ten-board ditch
More hold,
More hold,
More hold

Improvement comes in a nine-inch box
Three hundred bucks a time
I don't really need a coach
I got an oil line
I throw seven strikes a game
But I can't spare my nines
I don't really need a coach
I don't need no coach

I got my
More hold,
More hold,
More hold

Sitting on my line throwin' where I know Oh Yeah!
Don't you change my shot, won't know where to go Oh Yeah!
I'm averaging 230 bowling once a week
My hero is the tech, with his lane machine
I can hit three or eleven, or any board in between,
I'm like a machine, yeah
Anytime you want to find me
I'm not on the practise lanes
I'm drilling up another ball
So I can throw it just the same

Got my
More hold,
More hold,
More hold

Robbie Robbie Robbie

I'm sure you got too much time on your hands shouldn't you be at the bowl making that ditch there bigger than that 10 board area you have there now;);)

BTW I thought a ditch was something you dug with a shovel:p:p:p

Robbie, THAT IS GOLD!! :D :D :D

I once had Wenban in tears at a Grand Prix at Southgate (circa 1989) with one I made up on the spot called "The Southgate Shimmy". Went to the tune of "Love Shack" by the B-52's. Must see if I can find it...

Back
Top Bottom