Canberra Open - CANCELLED

Jack Daniels

Jack Daniels
Due to a lack of entry's for this year's Canberra Open the tournament has been cancelled. The good news coming out of this is that AMF has kindly donated the sponsorship money from the Canberra Open into this years Western Open at Blacktown in 2 weeks time.

For more information call me on 0412138930

Glenn Rowland
AMF Bowling Products Inc

While Warrnambool next week probably kept most travelling Victorians away was there any real reason for this tournaments demise this year. What happened to all the NSW Grand Prix circuit bowlers? Was it the fact there are two tournaments within 3 weeks?

On another note this tournament along with the Western Open are listed on the National Rankings Events calendar for next year on the TBA website. This doesn't look good if it couldn't get off the ground this year now does it.

Is the Western Open going to happen in two weeks and then again in February as the calendar suggests?

Is the Canberra Open going to be run in March?

Glenn if you can shed some light on these questions it would be appreciated as I am planning what events I will bowl in in the next six months.

In the 80's the Canberra Cup used to be held during the Easter long weekend, it used to fill and no spots were left. I think more tournaments need to be set up around these holidays, I don't know why there is nothing at Christmas.
willey.

This is very unfortunate, but more importantly, VERY POOR timing. The people associated to the running of this tournament should have a good look at themselves. Numbers for this tournament have been low for several weeks and the following was posted by Jack Daniels in the NSW forum only 2 days ago

Jack Daniels

Posted: Wed 10 Nov, 2004 Post subject: Revised Format For Canberra Open

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

This weekends Canberra Open will still be going ahead as planned with a couple of minor changes.

Based on 25 entries
10 game qualifying
Top 12 will make the cut
Matchplay will be 11 games
Finalists still receive their shirts
Prizefund will still pay 16 spots, plus the first 300 game.
1st:$940 2nd:$760 3rd:$640 4th:$540 5th:$440 6th:$340
7th:$290 8th:$265 9th:$240 10th:230 11th:$220 12th:$210
13th:$200 14th:$190 15th:$185 16th:$180

If you are going to cancel a tournament due to low numbers than fair enough...But to do it on the eve of the tournament, and by simply placing a post on the forum is just not acceptable.

Have the people associated to this tournament contacted all the people who have placed their name down to bowl...I know I havent been contacted, either by phone, email, a pm through totalbowling or courier pigeon.

People book accommodation, travel arrangement and make arrangements to get time off to compete in these events.

I spoke to Glen on Tuesday and he told me that this tournament will go ahead no matter what. What a difference 3 days can make....

Its no wonder the NSW Grand Prix series has suffered low competitor numbers of late and for that matter the Canberra Open experiencing very low interest....Bowlers dont want to run the risk of making plans and committing $$$'s only to find out that at the 11th hour, its all off.....

Bert

Whilst it's easy to point fingers on who's to blame there's no use crying over spilt milk. How many locals Bert had there name down to bowl?

With only 2 opportunities at decent money in your own backyard I suspect your locals just couldn't be bothered. I'd expect to see 20-30 from Canberra alone for such an event, I'm guessing there was less than 10.

Yes better timing of the events has already been planned for 2005, lets hope tournament numbers pick up a little then.

I see George has taken to wearing those flip-flops again.

ps..Is this man running for office somewhere?

I agree that tournament director Glenn Rowland has done the tournament bowling community a grave disservice by announcing the cancellation of the Canberra Open Tournament at the 11th hour.

There is NO EXCUSE for not calling or trying to contact each and every entrant. Who knows, maybe not everyone has gotten the message yet and some misfortunate bowler may show up tomorrow with two double ball bags in hand, only to find that the only people in the centre are open play bowlers...If it were me, I'd be LIVID!

George

I agree with the your comments about local participation being low...Apart from Matt and myself, the only other local entrant was Chris Thomas...I know Drew had other commitments, but as for other locals, I’m not aware of their exact reasons, but I do know that many locals have already committed to the Brunswick Cup which is only three weeks away or have children bowling in shield rolloffs at Shellharbour. Maybe the move to March next year may see an increase in entrants...time will only tell.

My post was Primarily based about the timing of this cancellation rather than the cause....

This isn’t the first tournament to be scrapped due to low entry numbers, however, it is the first to my knowledge, that at this level of the game, has been called off the day before the competition.

The NSW grand prix circuit, along with the Qld Sports series and other similar State Tours, represents the 2nd highest level of competition play a bowler can compete in within Australia (The Majors such as Brunswick Cup, Perth Cup, Melbourne Cup and the Super Six Tour being the elite level).

The treatment of this tournament as if it was 10 mates getting together for a couple of social games, only to decide the night before to go to the pub instead, is a my opinion, a disgrace.

But lets now look at the cause....

We all agree that numbers are low, infact, very low. The last list of entrants for this tournament posted on the forum listed approx 20 to 25 entrants.

Glen knew that numbers were low and to his credit, continued to push the tournament, as any tournament director would do.... On Wednesday, after obviously realising that numbers may not increase much higher, he made the appropriate amendments to both the tournament structure and prize payouts to now base the tournament on 25 entrants and posted those amendments stating the tournament would still go ahead....

Now, in the last week, your name was the only name that I saw on the web as a withdrawal, so unless your withdrawal caused a tidal wave of followers to also withdraw, the entrants still listed meet his new structure. In my opinion, your withdrawal should have seen a sharp increase in numbers... :wink:

Glens post in this string doesn’t highlight any facts that weren’t already known......perhaps he could enlighten us with more facts that aren’t already known...

But non-the-less, this 11th hour cancellation is still poor form, and a simple post on the forum, just shows no respect to those who did place their name down to bowl.

Bert

Bert, don't get the wrong idea, I just really hate it when events are cancelled. I withdrew because there is an event on here in Brisbane at the same time and I didn't realise they clashed.

Queensland Bowling was going downhill fast a few years ago and through some hard work and some clever revised formats, most QLD tournaments generate 50+ a tournament these days.

Let's hope with some better planning in 2005 this won't happen again. See you at the Brunswick Australian Cup

Canberra Open Cancelled.....

Indeed the last minute cancellation was not good.
I have since contacted Belconnen Bowl who like the bowlers is rather disappointed it did not go ahead.
They have over the last 24 hours been working towards March 2005's event trying to recover there sponsors and dignity.
They have secured a major sponsor being Donut King and a smaller sponsor which is still being negotiated.
So all bowlers can look forward to a healthy prize fund and free donuts to boot. :D
Management would like well over the expected 50 bowlers with quite a large number of local bowlers attending. Here's hoping hey..... :)
I think the earlier timing will help make Canberra Open 2005 a major success.

Bert,

Between thursday & friday morning we lost just over 10 entries, and you can't run a grandprix with 14 bowlers, im sorry if you didn't get the message that it was cancelled. I can tell you it was not from lack of trying or leaving messages with other people.Trust me the last thing I enjoy doing is informing people that a tournament has been cancelled due to lack of numbers.

That is why a whole new series and format has been introduced for next year, with less tournaments and more money. There will be 5 events next year and 3 of those will have TBA ranking points applied.

The good news to come out of all this, is that AMF are donating the sponsorship money from the Canberra Open to the prizefund of the Western Open. This tournament will definately go ahead cause local support is always great, and Western Open is also one of the most popular tournaments around.

Back
Top Bottom