Bridge Measurement

No such thing as "standard" when it comes to ball fit. Manufacturers suggest 1/4 for warranty purposes, which is where "standard" is often based off.

My pet hate however, is huge bridges. Almost no one has the need for a 1/2 inch bridge, yet I see it day in day out. If you add the grips to the 1/2 inch bridge measurement, you are placing the bowlers hand under huge pressure, and generally the insides of the finger joins will tear. I kindly reffer to this as the Doctor Spock drilling (not hard to work out why) and is usually the sign of an inaccurate ball driller.

Most top level guys I drill for have only 1/8th wide bridge or less, because they don't care about ball warranty, they care about comfort. Most "average joe" bowlers use 1/4.

Hope this helps.

Hi Tonx,

This information is in perfect timing as I have another ball to drill this week. I looked at the first ball I had drilled when I started bowling again. Looked at the bridge, then looked for the water passing under it.

Next ball was drilled the same. Again it had me looking for water.

Third ball, I don't want to go there. I simple thought that is how it is done these days. I have an old ball in the shed from many, many years a go and it is running about 1/8 bridge. So something in the middle would make more sense.

Definitely, you fingers hurt when the harbour bridge is in the middle of them.

John Velo

SO true John. It's one of the reason's I gave up on using grips. (The other being that I need less lift and rotation with the move down to 15lb balls.) I now mill my finger holes with 3/64" oval at 10°. Never been so comfortable, despite a pretty sharp bevel.

With no grip wall thickness to consider, I can have a 5/16" bridge. Comfy and no cracked bridges as the wide bridge gives strength, especially when the smaller holes are taken into account in terms of total structural strength. (A cracked bridge isn't much to worry about with grips, unless it starts really crumbling and changes your feel.)

Cheers,
Jason

A too wide bridge is definately a finger destroyer.
Many years ago I used a ball with one hole.That is , both fingers together, and then a tapered ( right to left ) oval hole, into which the two fingers fitted neatly.
It was very successful and good to use. Of course this was before lifters were used. Couldn't be done with lifters.

Oh, forgot to mention - this was with a 'conventional' grip, which were in common use then by the great majority of bowlers. I might try it on an old ball with fingertip and see.

Hi Guys,

You have to wonder just how many things have been tried over the years. I use grips now as I like the feel and have office hands after not bowling for so many years. But, in my defence I don't use a thumb grip.

In the four months I have been back bowling I have tried no less than ten different sets of grip. Settle on VISE in black, they feel a little harder than any other I have tried so far.

Dad used a ball with a hole for his ring finger, then a dimple for the other to reduce the lift and generate a semi roller.

As a kid I remember Bruce Kennedy use to have all five fingers in the ball in a conventional grip. Bruce was one of the most technical bowler I can remember, he also use to record every centre, every lane pair in a note pad during the game.

I could see a possible single oval finger hole ball with an insert with two finger holes could work. The finger inserts would be a D shape and a little harder than regular grips.

Really the options could be endless.

It's all fun and clearly many more new things would come.

John Velo

Yes John,
indeed, how many things over the years? Full rollers, for instance. The ball I was talking about ( both fingers together) produced a full roller track. Most people reading this prob will have no idea what that means.
Accuracy and stability of the ball was paramount, consequently, track flare was a complete no no! For someone who could score, they sought to produce one only oil track as absolutely narrow as possible. The last thing you wanted was a wobbly ball. My, how things change!
The late Jim Ferguson, when he was still bowling well in the mid 90s, used balls with holes for either all, or 3 of his 4 fingers. Up until the reactives, I think Jim Ferguson had bowled the most 300 games by one person -- 5 or 6, I think.
That single hole ball I had, during the over 30 years when I didn't bowl, I gave away. Wish I hadn't. Would love to see what I could do with it on to-days conditions, ( if anything).

Hi Jim,

Track flare gets me these days when you look at the ball returns through my league and check out were others are rolling the ball. Some have a huge bow tie.

As a junior, if my track was more than 3/4 of an inch wide I was told to try harder. Now 3/4 of an inch wide and you are asked what's wrong with your ball.

It's all fun learning the new from the old memories. The last three decades have appeared to level the playing ground quite a bit. But consistency is still key. No matter what you throw or how, you need to do it more than once.

Sorry to hi-jack the bridge question!

John Velo

Back
Top Bottom