pitch problem

Steven

hi i would like your opinions on something to do with my pitch i have 4 bowling balls drilled the same way as each other the way they are drilled is one of the finger holes is drilled straight down and the other on an angle and there drilled deep at the bottom of the finger holes they have met which has caused a hole in every ball just above the weight block which ive been told may get bigger and might crack the bridge and weaken it but may not and that its a risk drilling it that way as in you risk drilling the pitch that way to get the desired fit what are your thoughts have u heard of this before

champ said:
hi i would like your opinions on something to do with my pitch i have 4 bowling balls drilled the same way as each other the way they are drilled is one of the finger holes is drilled straight down and the other on an angle and there drilled deep at the bottom of the finger holes they have met which has caused a hole in every ball just above the weight block which ive been told may get bigger and might crack the bridge and weaken it but may not and that its a risk drilling it that way as in you risk drilling the pitch that way to get the desired fit what are your thoughts have u heard of this before
Hi Steven,
WOW! Some punctuation would go a long way to being able to read this! :) Please use full stops and capitals.
Now to answer your question. I am assuming that you bowl with a fingertip grip. The holes can meet if the finger holes are deep enough (usually for balance reasons). I have seen balls crack across the bridge from this, but it is uncommon. If you use finger inserts, then even if it does crack, it's no big deal unless a chunk falls out and affects your grip. Plugging will fix that, so it's really no big deal either.
Just in case you're wondering, your ball warranty generally gets voided by using grips or a finger bridge of less than 1/4" or drilling too close to the pin. That pretty much means nobody gets a warranty.
In short,
  • don't get too stressed about it
  • if it does crack, see above
  • if it breaks, fix it
  • relax, you will live
Hope this helps,
Jason

Just to add to Jasons' excellent reply, your warranty is not voided for manufacturers faults or defects if you have grips, etc. - only void for problems _caused_ by the drilling or grips. As Jason says, if the fingers crack, plug & fix - no problem. At least some manufacturers still warranty balls with grips as long as the bridge is at least 1/4" and the holes are bevelled.

Cheers, Robbie.

IMHO finger holes should NEVER join up. The finger holes should be drilled parallel to each other. I suggest that you take your equipment to the best driller in Brisbane for their opinion. I feel confident that it won't be your current driller cos anyone who drills fingerholes that join up doesn't know what they are doing!!!!
Sumo
I plan to live forever................or die trying!!

Sumo,
I have no idea what your ball drilling credentials or experience are, but here is a simple test that might cause you to reassess your no doubt expert comment.

Place your hand palm up, with a thick pencil or similar between the knuckles farthest from the palm. Now bend the fingertips up and toward the base of the thumb, in the position they would be in in a ball. Are the tips parallel, or do they point towards or away from each other? For most people, they will point towards each other, and the pitches of the fingers should be drilled to accomodate this. Just like every other measurement, lateral finger pitches will vary with hand construction, hole sizes and bridge width, and will rarely result in parallel holes.

In most cases, if the finger holes are deep enough, they WILL break into each other at the bottom, if the ball is drilled to fit. The alternative - for most people - is pain at the bridge side of the middle fingernail, and joint pain and sometimes damage at the first knuckle of that finger.

Or perhaps, after 20+ years of practice, I still don't know what I'm doing. :rolleyes:

Cheers, Robbie.

Sumo,
Finger holes often meet for the reasons Robbie pointed out as well as the fact that you are drilling into a sphere. If optimal leverage of that sphere is around 90 degrees to the centre of it, then holes often meet somewhere down the ball if they are anything near that optimal point. It's nicer if they don't, but coupled with the regular scenario of removing fingerweight or topweight (or even reducing DiffRG) by drilling finger holes deeper, like Tom Jones says, "it's not unusual..."

Yes Sumo, as Robbie B has pointed out, the fingers do point in towards each other the wider they are spread apart, so it's not natural to have a bridge, just a requirement to avoid breaking.

Also to your statement the ball driller does'nt know what he is doing, if he was to drill everyone the same, than run, don't walk, to the nearest exit. No two hands are the same.

willey

Back
Top Bottom