Big backswings.

Finchy

Has anyone got any coaching tips (physical or mental) for reducing the size of a backswing??

Also - if you lower the backswing will other things be affected like size of steps on the approach, timing etc...

Any ideas or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.. :D

Sadly, i don't have much of an idea about this either. Actually, i'd like to add to that a query about 'increasing' the size of the backswing, as opposed to decreasing! I've always been told i have a relatively short backswing. So, like Jane, I would be interested in finding out how much effect changing the backswing will have on things like timing etc. Would a slightly greater backswing be more advantageous, ie. in terms of ball speed etc?

You could try holding your ball lower, but that could affect the amount of hook you get on your shot. Try holding the ball lower if you haven't already. :p

I've found that by attempting to keep your back straight through your steps, your backswing is lower. Try it. With a straight back, you simply can't swing that high. Holding the ball lower can decrease your backswing but with it comes speed and as such increases the amount of hook you get. However, for some this is uncomfortable. The back straight is similair to making your palm face away from the pins to help keep your left arm parallel to the ground. This helps to keep your shoulders straight and avoid your shoulder dropping. Try it. Turn your palm in front and lift, then face it away from the direction your looking and try and lift it. For me I can only go slighty above my shoulder level, but when my palm faces forward I can go way over my head. Strange really.
Thats all my basic knowledge can tell you.

Later Da Cowman!

Agreeing with Cow, generally the higher you hold the ball the higher your backswing will be as it gains momentum dropping from that height...

another thing for a smaller back swing is not "muscling" the ball. i dunno how you bowl though so i can only say things that used to affect my back swing, i used to pull it up to try and increase speed. i was just told to "wait for the ball" and just allow it to drop which will make it naturally fit in with your timing... dunno if that helps...

Hi Finchy
I am a bit confused, most bowlers these days strive for a big back swing. Honestly if you have good timing and you feel comfortable, stick with it and learn how to hit the ball more.
I find lowering the ball height as like Marshal Holman PBA player use to do increases ball speed. This was tought by Fred Borden Team USA Coach. It makes you take smaller steps and creates what is called power steps.

your question raises more questions than answers.

where do you hold the ball, waist high, higher or lower
do you have a 4 step, or a 5 step approach.
are your steps fast or slow. do you break (bend) the wrist, or bend the elbow.
do you muscle or control the swing. what is your hand position at the release point. behind the ball, at the side of the ball, or do you go around the ball.
do you let the ball go to early or to late.
are you consistently hitting your target and the pocket.
what is your league average.
what do you hope to gain by changing the backswing.
if everything is working ok for you, and you have no soreness anywhere, is it neccessary to change anything.
If you want to find an accredited coach who can help you with your game have a look at the coaches list on the TBA website for a coach in your area, or ask your State Coaching co- ordinator for assistance. If i can help you in any way my email is [email protected].

regards
Allen j

Yes - more questions indeed!!! :?: :?: :?:

Thanks for all the comments, they have given me a bit to think about. Allen, I have written down all your questions and I am going to send you an email so you can see where I am coming from.

The main reason I am trying out lowering my back swing is to make sure I have time to get the ball properly out onto the lane and to hit my target.

I find at the moment with my high backswing I am kind of hurrying to get the ball to the release point, and as a result, I am constantly getting it too far left and crossing over to the brooklyn side. This doesn't seem to be corrected by a change of position on the lanes either. Generally I do not have a consistant shot...

Anyway - thanks all for the comments, hopefully with my email to Allen we will be able to work some more things out. :D

Yeah. The main thing's to find out which step your pushing the ball froward for your shot, and how many steps you're taking, whether 4, 5, 6, or whateva. That way you can time your shot better. Say if you take 5 steps, you would probably push the ball out on the second step. I take 5 steps, so I'm not real sure about 4 or 6 steps. I don't know many people who take 6 steps. I think, if you take 4, you should push the ball outon the first step coz you need plenty of time to swing your ball through. :p

if you use a four step approach,as i do, youll want to push it out on the frist step and then on the SECOND step start your backswing,unless you want a big swing which then you would push it out earlier :oops:

Backswing

Get a video of yourself taken - now just look at the total swing - the shape of the swing - the speed of the swing and the pattern and size of the steps that fit into the speed of the swing.

The number of steps you take does not necessarily lead you to know when the correct time to start the swing - a reputable coach will determine what type of timing you have and then adjust the start of the power steps to meet your natural swing pattern.

The greatest concern is how much pushing and pulling you have in your swing - as this is what directly causes you to miss your targets and this alone impares your ability to rev the ball and release correctly.

It is correct that walking more upright will assist in reducing your backswing - but this does not assist persons with flexible shoulders.

A good backswing is a desired thing - bad timing and accuracies are caused because of difficulties with the total swing -

My advice to you is make sure you are in perfect shape at the foul line to move the ball in any direction you wish - as fast or as slow as you choose and with the ability to hit the crack of the board should you wish to do so - You know then that your swing and your body position, speed and discipline at the foul line are fine.

Work on your total feeling of striking and try not to focus on one small thing - you are correct one thing changes and you will need to pay attention to other things. Look at yourself as a complete package - work on the FREE swing first and I think you will love your backswing.

Gail Torrens

Back
Top Bottom