Belmo selected to compete in the 2007 World Tenpin Masters

Jase

Admin
Staff member
Australia’s Jason Belmonte (Pictured) has been included in a World Class line-up for the 2007 World Tenpin Masters!

Matchroom Sport, organizer of the World Tenpin Masters, has announce the line-up for 10th edition to be held at Barnsley Metrodome, England, from April 20 to 22, 2007.

The event will feature 16 of the top male and female bowlers from around the world, including three previous champions.

Reigning champion Chris Barnes (pictured with the 2006 trophy), one of the superstars on the Professional Bowlers Association (PBA) Tour and a 7-time PBA champion, will be back to defend his title. Tore Torgersen (pictured, Norway), who has won the competition record three times, and 2005 champion Jens Nickel (Germany) are also among the 16 competitors.

Elsewhere, Remy Ong (Pictured, Singapore) is rated at number one in the men's Asian rankings and Englishman Paul Moor (Pictured.) is top of the European rankings.

The 2006 QubicaAMF World Cup champions, Finland's Osku Palermaa (Picturted) and Diandra Asbaty, United States, have also been picked. These new players join England's Darren Cundy, who secured the only qualifying place by winning the Premier Tenpin Bowling Club Masters earlier this year.

The draw for the first round of single-elimination match play (two games, total pinfall) will take place shortly.

All players appear subject to contract

1. Diandra Asbaty (USA)
  2. Chris Barnes (USA)
  3. Dominic Barrett (England)
  4. Jason Belmonte (Australia)
  5. Guy Caminsky (South Africa)
  6. Darren Cundy (England)
  7. Badr Al Sheik (Saudi Arabia)
  8. Zara Glover (England)
  9. Alex Liew (Malaysia)
  10. Paul Moor (England)
  11. Jens Nickel (Germany)
  12. Remy Ong (Singapore)
  13. Osku Palermaa (Finland)
  14. Biboy Rivera (Philippines)
  15. Michael Schmidt (Canada)
  16. Tore Torgersen (Norway)

Attachments

• jason_belmonte.jpg
    jason_belmonte.jpg
    8.7 KB · Views: 34
  • 2006WTMChrisBarnes_1.jpg
    2006WTMChrisBarnes_1.jpg
    30.3 KB · Views: 14
  • 2006EBT14ToreTorgersen_small.jpg
    2006EBT14ToreTorgersen_small.jpg
    13.6 KB · Views: 791
  • 2006MWCRemyOng_small_2.jpg
    2006MWCRemyOng_small_2.jpg
    20.1 KB · Views: 790
  • Paul_Moor_4064.jpg
    Paul_Moor_4064.jpg
    3.1 KB · Views: 788
  • 2006BWCOskuPalermaa.jpg
    2006BWCOskuPalermaa.jpg
    35.3 KB · Views: 16
Congratulations on your selection Belmo. To be part of such an elite line-up speaks volumes for your ability and respect both on and off the lanes. Bowl well champ and enjoy yourself. Hope you give it a real shake up, you deserve it.

Cheers

Reigning World Tenpin Masters Champion Chris Barnes will begin the defence of his title against England's Zara Glover at the Barnsley Metrodome on April 20.

Barnes, 36, won the 2006 competition but will face a tough match against 25-year-old Glover, a three-time gold medalist at the 2003 World Championship and winner of the 2005 European Ladies' Masters.

Elsewhere, last year's runner-up, Paul Moor of England, will meet Men's World Championship masters gold medalist and Filipino Biboy Rivera, while three-time winner Tore Torgersen faces a difficult task against Singapore's Remy Ong, who is ranked number one in the men's Asian Rakings.

Osku Palermaa of Finland, the 2006 Male World Bowling Writers Bowler of the Year and reigning World Cup champion, plays Guy Caminsky of South Africa and Diandra Asbaty of USA, who won the women's award, is up against Dominic Barratt of England.

The rest of the first round matches in the three-day tournament include Jason Belmonte of Australia vs Jens Nickel of Germany, Darren Cundy of England vs Badr Al Sheikh of Saudi Arabia and Michael Schmidt of Canada v Alex Liew of Malaysia.

A total of $70,000 (the highest in the event's history) will be available and the winner will take home $30,000, runner-up $10,000, losing semi-finalists $5,000, losing quarter-finalists $2,000 and first round losers $1,500 each.

Seen on foxtel today that the 2006 world tenpin masters was on. Belmo was there and had made it through to the final 8. Didn't get to see him bowl though.

yep, the 2006 masters on fox at the moment. wednesday morning at 9am on ESPN i think. not sure how often its on .... but the next show or two should show belmos qtr final from last year

belmo and osku.. or belmo and biboy rematch of that masters they played in if my memory is correct

Defending World Tenpin Masters champion Chris Barnes, United States, looked the man to beat as opened the tournament with a devastating display to dispose of England's Zara Glover by a 108 pin winning margin.

Barnes, the 37 year-old from Texas, who plies a lucrative trade on the American Professional Bowlers Association (PBA) Tour, delivered a succession of strikes to open up a 50 pin lead in the opening game.

The 25 year-old Glover,a three-time World Champion, was under pressure from the outset and Barnes turned the screw in the second game with a huge 279 total to take the match 524 – 416 in the two-game aggregate format.

"Chris is the best bowler here so it was a tough draw from the beginning," said Glover. "If he can keep bowling like that then I don't think anyone will touch him. I felt I bowled better here than in the last few years and I've struggled in the past two years.

Despite the convincing victory, Barnes refused to get carried away and insisted he would have to perform better if he is to retain his title.

"I was slow in the first six frames but then 17 out of 18 so I can't be disappointed with that and I learnt a lot about the line. They carry down quite fast in the first five frames but I was able to keep making the moves.

"In my bracket I've got two of the guys that throw the most strikes in the world in Osku Palermaa and Jason Belmonte so I don't think strikes will scare them. These guys aren't afraid of big scores."

Barnes will face 2006 World Cup Champion Osku Palermaa who came through his first round clash with South Africa's Guy Caminsky.

Palermaa bowled a great first game of 256 and coupled with his opponents disappointing 180, it effectively ended the match. Credit to Caminsky as he came back well to bowl an excellent 258 second game but Masters first-timer Palermaa, Finland, ran out a 464-438 winner.

"I played ok but I was not very comfortable as I have not done much bowling recently," said Palermaa. "It is nice to come here and it has been one of my dreams." Palermaa admitted he realized the game was effectively over after three frames of the second game as he had gained a 90-pin advantage, which eventually was reduced to 26 pins.

Despite the defeat Caminsky was happy with his performance. "I played great," said Caminsky. "I hit the pocket enough but I just didn't strike enough and two bad shots hurt me.

In the final match of the evening, a show-boating Jason Belmonte secured a quarter final berth, beating 2005 Masters champion Jens Nickel by 58 pins.

Nickel looked in discomfort throughout after he slipped on the approach in the early stages. That, coupled with some excellent bowling from the charismatic Australian, saw a 54 pin gap open up after the first game.

Both players were highly popular with the enthusiastic Barnsley crowd and they both matched each other through the second game. Belmonte will face the winner of tomorrow afternoon's match between Badr Al Sheikh and Darren Cundy.

Round One Results

Match 1:
Chris Barnes, United States (245, 279) def.
Zara Glover, England (195, 221), 524-416

Match 2:
Osku Palermaa, Finland (256 208) def.
Guy Caminsky, South Africa (180 258), 464-438

Match 3:
Jason Belmonte, Australia (246, 248) def.
Jens Nickel, Germany (192, 244), 494-436

Results thanks to Herbert at bowlingdigital

Any news on when these matches will be ready to download?? Gutter rat, you did a fantastic job last year, any chance of a repeat??

There's a few of us unfortunate not to have Foxtel!!

Thanks in advance

Any news on when these matches will be ready to download?? Gutter rat, you did a fantastic job last year, any chance of a repeat??

There's a few of us unfortunate not to have Foxtel!!

Thanks in advance

It still wouldn't matter cause owuldn't be shown on Foxtel till june or july sometime.

Chris

Back
Top Bottom