BEING LATE TO WORK

Does it really make any difference if you're 10 minutes late? If so, then that's a bugger and you'll just have to get there or get another job.

Can you make up the time at the end of the day to no ill effect? If so, then propose a window of flexibility (maybe 15-30 minutes) of start and finish times as a staff retention measure. As long as necessary posts are covered, this may not be an issue. Consider the operational aspect of running the business, be it phones, service desk, whatever in making this request.

Job ads always talk about "flexible working environments" which usually means "you'll bend", but not always. See if they're not full of crap and are willing to be flexible too.

Also canvass your colleagues regarding the issue of the server time in a civil fashion and see if they concur. If they don't then you're on your own. If they do, then with their organised polite support at your next meeting, politely suggest that the company synchronise it with something like www.worldtimeserver.org or similar as it's apparently unreliable and inherently unfair, causing unnecessary stress. Spell out that you're not after something for nothing, you just want a fair go. Then live up to it.

If your boss got where they are by being a sycophant, then find another job. My experience of such turds led me to do just that and my only regret was waiting too long to leave and not telling their manager the whole truth in an exit interview. Again... politely. Revenge is best served cold.

Hmmm... Very good read Jason...

If say I'm 1min late, they'll make you work through your first break (15 mins), but if you miss your break for a work reason, they won't allow you to take one to "make up for the missed break"

I missed a whole lunch once (30 mins due to work reasons) and I asked to leave early (30 mins early) and he said "no it doesn't work like that, you can't leave 30 mins early just because you had to work through your break"...

I don't see how going on break at the middle of the day or the end of the day changes the hours you work? either way they are still getting the same amount of hours off you, yet they'll still dock your pay for the "lunch break you took"

I'm not late all the time lol... And nah, car...

I dunno even who runs the train system these days in Melbourne...

This is a silly subject, because none of us out here can possibly have even the majority of the facts.
There are good, bad and in between managers, owners and employees. There are also square pegs in round holes in those managers, owners and employees. I have been a builders labourer, a State Manager in three separate industries, a feral pig shooter, a motor mechanic, a Tech school teacher, in the Army and Air Force, a timber cutter, owned 4 small businesses, a Railway Worker, plus, seeing this started me thinking about it, I counted them up and I've had another 14 different different jobs ( and I'm still only 135 years old !!)

My experience tells me that whether it's your fault or not, you and that job are not made for each other. It's not just the being late that's your problem - it sounds like everything about it doesn't suit you. Maybe you just hate the thought, every day, of having to go there - being late at least postpones it for a while. LEAVE.... If you have these problems again, at another place, then have a good look at yourself. If you don't - then you can feel a great satisfaction in the knowledge that the manager indeed was a piece of s#@*, and he will probably be miserable for most, if not the rest, of his life. Hows that? Fixed?

Woops, I'm wrong, I've just thought of 2 more - no, 3 more jobs, so make that 17.

This is a silly subject, because none of us out here can possibly have even the majority of the facts.
There are good, bad and in between managers, owners and employees. There are also square pegs in round holes in those managers, owners and employees. I have been a builders labourer, a State Manager in three separate industries, a feral pig shooter, a motor mechanic, a Tech school teacher, in the Army and Air Force, a timber cutter, owned 4 small businesses, a Railway Worker, plus, seeing this started me thinking about it, I counted them up and I've had another 14 different different jobs ( and I'm still only 135 years old !!)

My experience tells me that whether it's your fault or not, you and that job are not made for each other. It's not just the being late that's your problem - it sounds like everything about it doesn't suit you. Maybe you just hate the thought, every day, of having to go there - being late at least postpones it for a while. LEAVE.... If you have these problems again, at another place, then have a good look at yourself. If you don't - then you can feel a great satisfaction in the knowledge that the manager indeed was a piece of s#@*, and he will probably be miserable for most, if not the rest, of his life. Hows that? Fixed?

Woops, I'm wrong, I've just thought of 2 more - no, 3 more jobs, so make that 17.

Very very very good post... And yes, you're exactly right...

While I'm not late on purpose (yes I'm paid to be here) I and many of the other employee's here think exactly what you said ["Maybe you just hate the thought, every day, of having to go there - being late at least postpones it for a while"]

Trying to get out my good Sir... Just looking for the right job

Back
Top Bottom