ball rolling over thumb

ive been experiencing this a little bit myself lately, and from my experience its because when your coming to release point your breaking your wrist forward without the cupping back action causing you to make your thumb come out premmaturely. next time you bowl try throwing the ball, and as you come to release point and follow through, to cup your wrist so your fingers are aiming at your face.(think lleyton hewitt to understand what i mean bout where your hand should come to)

I get this with my everclear 'pin' ball.

The only time I get it is when I try to go for forward roll for right hand spares. If I use my normal release the ball rolls fine.

I find it helps if you need to "flatten out" to get the ball the roll straight, say at corner pins, that instead of having your fingers at 12 (i.e. straight down the lane), angle your hand slightly (not a lot, mind you, but just enough so the ball isn't rolling through your grip)

a plastic ball shouldn't move whilst doing this, and you'll track just to the outside of your grip as per the attached diagram. This should eliminate your problem, and give you a nicer roll, seeing and the ball won't be skipping as it rolls over the thumb hole (and it'll stop making that thump, thump noise...)

hey thanks 4 that, about the plastic ball umm i do some crazy stuff some times with plastic ball and sometimes i got ALOT of hook, so yeh

if you are hooking a plastic ball, it happens for one (or all) of three reasons.

1) You are putting far too many revs on the ball, this is easily rectified by not cupping your wrist on delivery and not lifting the ball, so it doesn't rev

2) the Lanes you bowl on are bone dry, unfortunately not much can be done about that, increasing ball speed could probably help.

3) your ball is heavily side-weighted, now this is unlikely, as plastic balls tend now to have much of a weight block, however, they often can carry up to 3 oz of top weight, which if drilled incorrectly, could all end up on one side of the ball, causing it to hook.

I'd suggest getting a competant driller to check the weight and balance of the ball, just to make sure it's not drilled incorrectly.

i dont care about how much hook i have got on a plastic ball, cause when i want it to go straight i just bowl faster, so yeh

Back
Top Bottom