7 New Speed Camera Locations for SE QLD

Street Racer

Thought some of yous who live in SQ might like to read this=] Some of you may or may not know about them.

There will be 7 new speed camera locations being tested in the south-east corner over the coming weeks and if
successful will be operational by mid 2010 and then will be rolled out through the rest of the state. These will
be:

TWO COMBINED RED LIGHT/SPEED CAMERAS -

Cnr Waterworks Road and Jubilee Terrace, Ashgrove
Cnr Beaudesert Road and Compton Road, Calamvale

THREE SPOT FIXED SPEED CAMERAS

Pacific Motorway, Loganholme
Gateway Arterial Road, Nudgee
Clem7 Tunnel, Woolloongabba to Bowen Hills

ONE MOBILE SPEED CAMERA - used at varying locations

ONE POINT-TO- POINT SPEED CAMERA SYSTEM -

Bruce Highway, Caloundra Road to Wild Horse Mountain, Beerburrum

A point-to-point (or average) speed camera system uses a number of cameras over a length of road to measure a
vehicle's average speed. The system uses the time it takes for a vehicle to travel between the two points to
calculate the average speed of the vehicle: Speed = Distance/Time.

Point-to-point speed camera systems use a number of cameras mounted at staged intervals along a particular
route.

Point-to-point camera systems, like fixed speed cameras, are monitoring traffic 24 hours a day, 7 days a week.
However, unlike current fixed speed cameras, point-to-point systems are not activated when a vehicle violates
the speed limit at a given point in time measured by a speed detection device. Rather, point-to-point camera
systems apply a mathematical calculation based on the time it takes for a vehicle to travel from one camera to
the next and the distance between the cameras.

The first length of road the system will cover is approximately 13km.
Please exercise some common sense when driving particularly through these locations and avoid any
infringements. The new locations will be digital processors so if an infringement is detected the images are
uploaded instantly to the infringements processing centre and you receive notification with 2-3 days.
Currently with the wet-film system these can take up to 4 weeks.

Please pass this around to everyone regardless of if they have a company car or not and please be safe on the
roads

Should be more of it.

Speeding fines are like a voluntary tax you pay. If you want to pay the fine you speed. If not you don't.

I'm fine with that except for in the case of overtaking. In the past you were allowed, or given tolerance, to exceed the speed limit when overtaking. Now, you are not allowed to exceed the speed limit regardless of the reason.

So here is an example. You are on the highway single lane each way, no overtaking lanes. The car in front of you has an unsafe and unsecured load, providing a dangerous situation. They are travelling at 95km per hour (under the 100km/hr limit). It is unsafe for you to remain behind this vehicle for risk of the load coming loose and hitting your vehicle and you are on a time schedule and cannot stop to let them get far enough ahead (you'd probably still end up catching them again further up the road anyway). To overtake safely (i.e. not have a head on collision with oncoming traffic), you need to accelerate to 110 km per hour to pass the unsafe vehicle. A police car with a speed gun catches you at 110km per hour and pursues you and pulls you over for speeding. The unsafe/unsecured load vehicle continues it's journey (unsafely) and you get the fine and demerit points for speeding.

How is that reasonable? It is not a hypothetical, but an actual example from NSW.

The other scenario is - stay behind the unsafe/unsecured load vehicle for 20 km until the next overtaking lane and 4km along that stretch the load falls off the car into the path of your vehicle. Which one is the safer option here - overtake (and exceed the limit) to avoid the situation or stay behind it and get wiped out or cause an accident with another vehicle trying to avoid the load which has come loose?

Commonsense has gone out the window because a small minority of idiots in society speed on a daily basis when they have no reason or cause to.

I'm fine with that except for in the case of overtaking. In the past you were allowed, or given tolerance, to exceed the speed limit when overtaking. Now, you are not allowed to exceed the speed limit regardless of the reason.

So here is an example. You are on the highway single lane each way, no overtaking lanes. The car in front of you has an unsafe and unsecured load, providing a dangerous situation. They are travelling at 95km per hour (under the 100km/hr limit). It is unsafe for you to remain behind this vehicle for risk of the load coming loose and hitting your vehicle and you are on a time schedule and cannot stop to let them get far enough ahead (you'd probably still end up catching them again further up the road anyway). To overtake safely (i.e. not have a head on collision with oncoming traffic), you need to accelerate to 110 km per hour to pass the unsafe vehicle. A police car with a speed gun catches you at 110km per hour and pursues you and pulls you over for speeding. The unsafe/unsecured load vehicle continues it's journey (unsafely) and you get the fine and demerit points for speeding.

How is that reasonable? It is not a hypothetical, but an actual example from NSW.

The other scenario is - stay behind the unsafe/unsecured load vehicle for 20 km until the next overtaking lane and 4km along that stretch the load falls off the car into the path of your vehicle. Which one is the safer option here - overtake (and exceed the limit) to avoid the situation or stay behind it and get wiped out or cause an accident with another vehicle trying to avoid the load which has come loose?

Commonsense has gone out the window because a small minority of idiots in society speed on a daily basis when they have no reason or cause to.

It is either illegal or it isn't. If it is illegal then you should know or you shouldn't be driving.

1. Why are you even that close if it is an unsecure load? Isn't it part of your responsibility as a driver to maintain a safe distance between you and the car in front of you?
2. At 95kph the 20km to the next passing place would take an extra 38 seconds to get to as opposed to 100kph.

You can try and make whatever excuses you want but in the end the car is in your control and "common sense" as you put it dictates you do not break the law which is what you are trying to condone.

If you speed and get caught then you deserve it, end of story. Pay the fine.

Everyone knows the cameras are out there but they all complain about being caught. Where is the "common sense" in that?

Now, you are not allowed to exceed the speed limit regardless of the reason. So don't speed

So here is an example. You are on the highway single lane each way, no overtaking lanes. The car in front of you has an unsafe and unsecured load, providing a dangerous situation. They are travelling at 95km per hour (under the 100km/hr limit). It is unsafe for you to remain behind this vehicle for risk of the load coming loose and hitting your vehicle Move further back and you are on a time schedule and cannot stop to let them get far enough ahead (you'd probably still end up catching them again further up the road anyway). To overtake safely (i.e. not have a head on collision with oncoming traffic allow more room to overtake), you need to accelerate to 110 km per hour illegal to pass the unsafe vehicle. A police car with a speed gun catches you at 110km per hour which you deserve and pursues you and pulls you over for speeding. The unsafe/unsecured load vehicle continues it's journey (unsafely) "Mum, he did it so why can't I do it?" and you get the fine and demerit points for speeding. again, which you deserve

How is that reasonable? It is not a hypothetical, but an actual example from NSW. And if the guy/girl got caught then they deserve it

The other scenario is - stay behind the unsafe/unsecured load vehicle for 20 km until the next overtaking lane a total of an extra 38 seconds compared to 100kph and 4km along that stretch the load falls off the car into the path of your vehicle. of course, you were far enough back that it didn't hit your car because you don't drive like an idiot Which one is the safer option here - overtake (and exceed the limit) to avoid the situation or stay behind it and get wiped out or cause an accident with another vehicle trying to avoid the load which has come loose? Option 3. Drive like you should and be safer than both.

Commonsense has gone out the window much like the driver above because a small minority of idiots ALL those who speed in society speed on a daily basis when they have no reason or cause to. much like passing when there is no need just to save 38 seconds on your trip

I think that should explain it well enough.

Your opinion is wrong. You are trying to condone something that is illegal.

I hate speed cameras too but if you get caught then so be it.

Co The Cell, I wonder if I may persuade you to have a bit of a deeper think about this?
I would suggest that the easiest path to less justice, is to have more laws.
It follows that the easiest path to less freedom is also more laws.

Given the natural tendencies of politicians and bureaucrats is to have more control, the natural path toward that control, is to enact more laws.

Which was the last law you remember which gave more freedom of action or thought, than that which existed before it was enacted?

The only way, if there is one, to slow down the 'progress' toward complete control of citizens by the State, is for those citizens to question the need for, the scope of, the common sense of, etc., etc., etc., of laws all made, of course " For Our Own Good' or to " Protect Us From Harm', and so on.

You don't want your children, and their children to live in a genuine democracy? That's easy. Obey and Conform.

I am not arguing the justice or otherwise of the laws regarding speeding.

At present, be it right or wrong, there are laws regarding speeding. Be it right or wrong, there are methods being used to detect people breaking these laws.

Sure we can question everything and we should. That is no excuse for breaking a law that currently exists.

I am the first to question things and stand up for myself. I also ask my mrs if she wants to act like a sheep and do the same as other people - nothing - when something like the $2 fee just for paying your phone account was being introduced. I took up the fight (like I do from time to time) and was only one of many but the fee never got introduced.

I will never agree with a post that condones stupidity, driving like an idiot and breaking the law.

If you want to read anything else into it then go ahead.

Yeah...........um...............I bashed a guy the other day because he had a knife. I was in the butcher's shop, but I felt threatened.

Yeah...........um...............I bashed a guy the other day because he had a knife. I was in the butcher's shop, but I felt threatened.
Interesting. Please inform us exactly how this stupid and irrelevant post in any way relates to the discussion on speed cameras and the legitimacy of speeding.

Yes, I found it a bit puzzling too, but then, I suppose if it's against the law to carry a knife, you can hardly complain about what happens to you if you do, even if you weren't actually doing anything dangerous at the time ? Could that be it?

I am simply agreeing with GotheCell regarding people complaining about being fined when breaking the law. A little bit out there I know, and I probably should have thought it through a bit more I suppose. Sorry to all those people. It just annoys me when people cry about being caught doing the wrong thing.

I hope I have cleared up any confusion, and once again, my apologies for that incomprehensible post.

Bigsy...

Back
Top Bottom