50th Nationals Interesting Figures.

What is AMF trying to do, build a Tournament schedule from the Top down, that will never work. Where are the New Tournament bowlers going to come from, just appear out of the Woods. It has to start from the Bottom. They had the Grand Prix Circuit in NSW and what did they do to it, it just seemed too hard for them, they got Lazy. It went the same way as the SPC, now that was a Tragedy, the Big Boys from the USA said they wanted the SPC to pay for itself and Roy who was CEO at the time turned the Godfather of Tournaments in Australia into a Grand Prix event, again what a Tragedy.

willey

Why is it when someone makes a comment about your posts that you have to get personal?

AMF contributed $50000 to the prize fund for the Masters. How is that not promoting bowling?

AMF put ads in newspapers promoting the Masters which was a bowling event.

AMF allowed the bowling show to film the finals which will be shown on TV. Again promoting bowling.

AMF is a business that needs to make money because otherwise it will go broke and then where will bowling be?

thought it was $100,000

What is AMF trying to do, build a Tournament schedule from the Top down, that will never work. Where are the New Tournament bowlers going to come from, just appear out of the Woods. It has to start from the Bottom. They had the Grand Prix Circuit in NSW and what did they do to it, it just seemed too hard for them, they got Lazy. It went the same way as the SPC, now that was a Tragedy, the Big Boys from the USA said they wanted the SPC to pay for itself and Roy who was CEO at the time turned the Godfather of Tournaments in Australia into a Grand Prix event, again what a Tragedy.

willey

Mate youre looking at it all wrong. What AMF is doing is right in many ways. It is impossible to get publicity and interest in a series of 6 tournaments worth $2k-$3k for first, it better to throw it all into one and milk it for all its worth. It's a clever marketing ploy not only done by AMF but by many other sports (PBA included). It's all about boosting the profile of the sport, you need a drawcard and this is it for our sport. Without it we'll slowly diminish into oblivian, like squash and many other sports.

In order to create demand and interest you need a product which people want and are attracted to. AMF is investing considerable money into the product and promoting the sport aspect of it. Do you think bowling will make mainstream TV if the 1st place chedque is $3000? It has a much better chance when its $25k, thats something people will watch.

Look at the 2 benefits

1. Getting bowling out to the masses, showcase the sport side and get people thinking about bowling
2. When people walk through the door the centre then needs to get them into a league and get them committed

Both steps are hard but nothing is easy when it comes to business.

I take my hat off to Jordan and AMF for investing into the sport aspect of the sport. It's something Roy never did when he was CEO, his focus was recreational, Jordan understands that if you promote both sport and recreational you maximise your chances of attracting new customers.

I think the alliance with the BPAA and AMF working together this Nationals on the World v Australia event was a great forward step and hopefully a partnership which will see our sport around in the next 10yrs. TBA is doing good things too so maybe just we'll get there in the long run....

With the $A currently higher than the $US and expected to remain so for some time here is something to consider. With the Australian Masters thanks to TBA and AMF and the WTBA attracting overseas bowlers again of the calibre in attendance at Rooty Hill is the following proposition viable:

The collective bowling industry in Australia get together and come up with the money (hopefully a majority of it through sponsors, try the mining industry) and put a proposal to the PBA to hold an official PBA Tour event in Australia (similar to the annual event they hold in Japan - Japan Cup). Also as part of the package have various PBA pros travel around the country to visit other capitals / country centres to further promote the game and return something to industry contributors from the non hosting centre(s). I know we are talking about a lot of Aussie $ but set the prizemoney in $US and we have a small win already (no more Aussie peso hey Tim Mack:)). We would be talking about $A100-150K just for the prize fund. But allowing anyone to bowl in it like the US Open etc could allow some of the money (albeit a small amount) to be made up by entry fees.

Now if you really wanted to promote the merits of sport bowling to the masses in this country that would be the way to do it. The 'Belmo' factor alone would be a good promotional starting point to the Aussie media.

With the World Series of Bowling about to commence in the US the timing would have to be considered. So my suggestion is if the PBA retain the WSOB setup for their schedule then why not attempt to get the PBA to slot say the South Pacific Cup in between the WSOB and the Aussie Masters. Though a staunch Melbournian I would suggest that the first event be held at the Gold Coast. Surfers Paradise bowl would be ideal but the number of lanes is probably too restrictive so try Robina.

This may end up being a whimsical fantasy in prose but if it we could get such an event into reality then what a promotional spectacular bowling :D would reap in this country. The cream of the WTBA tour and some of the PBA (who decide to combine both the new SPC and the Aussie Masters) and then the absolute cream of the worlds bowling talent extolling there wares here in Oz. You could even get the PBA to include one of the ladies events. A couple of weeks of bowling heaven.

All i reckon that would do is maybe further entice current bowlers, not attract more.

We have that big tennis thing in Australia once a year done we?. Its never made me want to play tennis.

There are some really good, positive thoughts here. What we need here is some live-wire PR person, who knows the right people in the right places, to pull them all together, and turn them into action: doesn't need to know about Tenpin, he / she can be easily given what is needed to be known. Needs to be a 'can do' action person - with a proven record of results. Then given a free hand ( no committees ). Just told what is to be achieved.
I've known people like this in the past - maybe our present preoccupation with qualifications over experience has seen them disappear? Anyone know anyone who fits the bill?

By the way, hasn't there been two 'Roys' as MDs of AMF? Can we please clear up which one has been mentioned on this thread a couple of times in a negative light. I knew one of them, and held him in the highest regard, as did everyone I know, who also knew him.

Jim

All i reckon that would do is maybe further entice current bowlers, not attract more.

We have that big tennis thing in Australia once a year done we?. Its never made me want to play tennis.

Yeah, lets sit around for the next 15 years and watch the sport go down hill like the last 15 years has.
We'll be back to manual scoring & pin boys.

Finally get company put a sh!tload of sponsorship into a tournament that attracts world class field & all some people can focus on is whinning & b!tching about AMF & the fact that the overseas bowlers walked away with the bulk of the cash.

Jim, there was only 1 in charge when the SPC got dismantled, Roy West was long gone at that stage.

willey

Have just read the TBA website report on the 50th Nationals, sadly there is no mention of the 50 years Don Atkinson has bowled in the the Championships something I dont think will ever happen again. Cara failed to visit Rooty Hill in the first week to attend the Seniors Challenge not good PR. Dockers.

To ask a question that is in no way meant to be defensive or confrontational; why would you expect Cara to make an appearance for Seniors? Without wanting to belittle it, there was nothing on except another bowling event and she doesn't generally go to bowling events. And of course I mean that in the sense that there were no meetings or functions on.

I guess that makes my question; what is the criteria by which we expect her presence?

Have just read the TBA website report on the 50th Nationals, sadly there is no mention of the 50 years Don Atkinson has bowled in the the Championships something I dont think will ever happen again. Cara failed to visit Rooty Hill in the first week to attend the Seniors Challenge not good PR. Dockers.

Cara is a very busy lady and cant attend every single event.

I know for a fact that she wasnt there the whole week of the second as she had to attend meetings on the Gold Coast

completely Off Topic...

but..

There should be the ability to 'dislike' posts on here as well...

The TBA site had a photo of Don Atkinson receiving his commemorative 50 year plaque from John Coxon on the Nationals pages as soon as he was presented with it........

When the Nationals are on all the Country is represented, it is the best opportunity for Cara to meet and greet also hear what bowlers of all averages think & a way of just talking to get to know her membership. I know I am going back in time but for the entire time the Nationals were on the then President, Secretary & most Directors were in attendance. Dockers

Cara is a very busy lady and cant attend every single event.

I know for a fact that she wasnt there the whole week of the second as she had to attend meetings on the Gold Coast

Every single event....... that's right, I forgot. It was ONLY the nationals. Meetings are far more important.

My opinion is that i think some of these comments are very unfair to Cara.

None of us know what other commitments she has in her role as head of. Considering she doesnt actively post on here i think it is a low blow to make comments on her attendance at the nationals on what is the most active tenpin bowling forum in Australia.

I know i dont want her just standing around Rooty Hill bowl for the whole time the nationals was on just to 'be seen'. Im sure then people would say 'what exactly is she doing here, shouldnt she be doing something other than standing around chatting'.

Keep up the good work Cara.

important people go to important meetings...

Sorry Casual Observer; but you really are a douchebag... You bring nothing constructive to this forum at all; just bag out other people all the time... For reasons I dont know. You seem like a bitter old man who never made it big; despite wanting too... You need to quit it cause it actually puts a taint on this entire forum for the people like yourself that are constantly negative....

Back
Top Bottom