2006 Senior's Melbourne Cup List

raph

Raph
Hi All
Please find attached the squad listing.
With 3 weeks to go the committee is very disappointed with the numbers, so if you intend on bowling please let me know either by posting on this web site or email me at [email protected]

Regards

Sue Raphael

Attachments

• 2006 Senior's Melb.Cup.xls
    22.5 KB · Views: 110
Hi all,
Let me say that I am very disappointed with the entries in the 2006 Seniors Melbourne Cup particularly from some interstate bowlers who have chosen to bowl in a non senior event instead, our committee try extremely hard to put on the best possible event. The end result of these numbers is that Victoria may well loose its sponsor for the event (which is not AMF) and we may well NOT have a 2007 Seniors Melbourne Cup.

I have also heard that there may be another state holding a challenge team trial on the same day, I certainly hope this is not the case as the dates for this event were listed last December.

Some say because there is no team selection this year the event does not count. What ever the reason we will need to consider whether the event will be held next year or whether we change the date to say February so we don’t clash with everyone.

I think that this should be discussed at the Seniors AGM in Tassie and agreement reached on dates for all Senior Events and Challenge Team trials

Hopefully there are still some more entries to come, we would love to see you.

Stephen Bell

You have come out and said publicly that you are disappointed with interstate bowlers for choosing to stay at home and compete in a ranked event rather than travel interstate for another - just for the record, there are only 8 bowlers listed in squads for the KNK eligible to participate in the Melbourne Seniors Cup, and 5 of them are Qlders.

It Is unfortunate this year that these events have clashed: the last two years have seen the MSC coincide with the Arafura Games/Classic in Darwin, though this has not had any significant impact on the Seniors event. This year Darwin changed their dates, so definately no clash. However, KNK is a Double ranking points event - are you saying that bowlers in any state would even consider flying interstate to a seniors event if there was a double ranked event that they could compete in at home for a fifth of the outlay?? Don't think so .

Increased costs for fuel, airfares, accommodation all add to the picture, and then you have people looking at the value they get for their entry money.....
Qld Seniors Cup Jan 06 - $160 18 games
Canberra Seniors Cup Mar 06 - $180 16 games
KnK Classic May 06 - $125 12 games (locals in Thurs squad)
$175 12 games standard entry
Melbourne Seniors Cup May 06- $180 10 games + ATBSOV entry sun
Adelaide Seniors Classic Jul 06 - $185 18 games

There has also been a reduction in bowler numbers at seniors events because of the 50 year age limit....not much you can do about that unfortunately. Yes there is a lot of hard work that goes into organising events, of that there is no dispute, and it is disappointing when the numbers don't tally to expectations. There were quite a few interstate bowlers missing from the Qld event in January, and then again in Canberra, but I can't recall any of the tournament organisers jumping up and down and venting their disappointment on a public forum such as this. YOU CAN'T MAKE PEOPLE BOWL IN SOMETHING THAT THEY CHOOSE NOT TO, for whatever the reason.

It has been bought to the attention of TBA before about the clashing of ranked events - affecting the options of both youth and seniors bowlers - hopefully it is something that can be rectified for 2007.

Steve, I sincerely hope that your event still goes ahead for next year, maybe moving it to Febuary could be a viable option; maybe you won't have to move it at all, who knows? We all know seniors events are not thick on the ground, and it would be a shame to lose one.

Good luck with this years event

Broni Morgan
Still not old enuff!!!;)

Steve,
Just a quick question, what pecentage of bowlers were between the age of 45-49 that bowled last year and that can't bowl this year due to the changes in the TBA rules. I know that they had to standardise the age rule but i think it has hert a lot of ranked tournies with numbers which is sad to see.

Gunther

Broni

I can't get over how you say that the Melbourne Cup is 10 games it is 18 games. The consolation event on Sunday is really an extension of day one but it gives everyone who missed the cut a chance to bowl well and make more money than some of the finalists. I believe this is a much better format than just bowling 16 games and having no chance after the 8 games on day one.

if they hadn't changed it to 50 and over even I might have bowled.

You cant tell me steve that it hasn't affected the entries not it is for the real oldies?

cheers

Tony

It really is a shame that they reverted back to the 50 year age cut off, as I know I would have bowled, also I know from the few tournaments that I started to bowl in last year, that a number of other bowlers would be bowling, as they at last found tournaments that they could compete in that were value for money and that they felt comfortable bowling in on a competitive level, as they felt they were not competitive enough to bowl in the normal adult tournaments. I only wish to be able to bowl in these tournaments and enjoy, I personally don't care about the ranking points.

Re: Change to Seniors Age Qualification

There is of course another side to the argument....as seniors get closer to 60 some of them feel they cannot compete against the 45 year olds, and therefore dropped out of the tournaments. Now they are bowling again as the "bar has been lowered" for them.
I am sure Chilly will correct me if I am wrong, the numbers for Queensland Seniors tournament were about the same this year, even though some of the Victorians did not travel, some of the older Queenslanders filled the spots.
I really dont think the change of minimum age has lowered the number of participants. More like the cost of travelling. Bowlers are looking for tournaments closer to home.
Josie Adams

Personally I wouldn't be going anyway as I would prefer to bowl at home. But since the ranking points are doubled it would be silly for anyone from Queensland to go as they could get more points up here.
I feel for the organisers as it's tough running events, but a date change would be good to have it over Easter and then I would think about it because I could bowl both events.
The change of age limit has lost some entries though.
Just my thoughts ...

The very popular VIC 150 is held over Easter in Melbourne, a TBA Ranked event for scratch and handicap bowlers.
What would this tournament be moved ?? Check out the numbers playing in this event.

My apologies I forgot about the Vic 150 and your correct, it is very successful. Well maybe move it to coincide with another event in Melbourne that we could bowl both of.

I for one would love to bowl in it as I did last year but the goal posts have been moved and now I am to young.So all the senior tournaments I have bowled in around the country have lost my money until Im 50 "such is life"

Back
Top Bottom