Your version on the St.Kildav Fremantle game

Freo were robbed. Plain and simple. Everyone stopped playing but the umps found a ball up. Then the most stupidest thing happened. They gave St Kilda the chance to win the game, thats not cool.

I thought the game ended when the bell, whistle, siren, gong (or whatever you lot do over here to end a game) was sounded.

I think in American Gridiron a play in motion is allowed to continue after the whistle until the ball is out of play. Didn't realise it applied to "Rules" as well. Anyway, why call it "Rules" when there don't appear to be any?

An Australian Rules football match officially ends when one of the central umpires hears the siren blown by the timekeeper and blows his whistle and raises his arms aloft to signify "time".

The problem was with the situation, that the siren was located at the opposite end of the ground (corner of the South Stand) to where the play was in those fateful final minutes on a windy afternoon with a roaring crowd.
A couple of my relatives were there at the match sitting in the Gunns Stand (on the same side of the ground as where the siren is) and said they struggled to hear it all day, and didn't hear the final siren at all.

The AFL should've made sure that the siren was adequate - as you can see in my avatar - there were only two stacks - not adequate at all, and the AFL Ground operations people should never have approved it in the first place.

One other problem is that the siren used to be located on centre wing on the broadcast side of York Park on top of the now demolished Cameron-Tyson Stand - they never had any problems when it was on that stand.
But when it was moved down to the South Stand, there were problems of inaudabilty when Hawthorn played there earlier in the season as well according to people who were at the ground.

According to report on the TV last night here, a spectator in the Corporate box in the South Stand watched the timekeeper in the room next door, blow the siren, and mistakenly thinking the umpire had blown "time", had put his head down and started filling out his official time sheets.
He was alerted by the spectator in the corporate box who banged on the window to alert the timekeeper that play had continued on, the timekeeper hurried blasted the siren again, but it was too late.

I still can't believe it happened, and was talking on my mobile to my relatives at the ground whilst this was going on live, and the pandemonium was unbelievable in the background.

Apparently they are going to be adding sirens all around the ground for the next match there next month, I'll be there to watch Richmond, so I'll see how it is then.

It's a real mess.

There have been games in the past that have been decided by kicks after the siren which were clearly heard on the tv but not heard by the umpire until after the kicks and those games have always ended as is. Mind you this was a long time after the siren but the rule has always stated that the game does not end until the umpire hears the siren and blows his whistle. I cannot see how the AFL could change the result going on past matches that this has happened at and their reasons for stating why they will not change a result.

By the way I do not see Fremantle complaining about the missing 8 seconds in the final quarter of the match.

P.S Who would want to be an umpire!!!!!!

Hammer said:
I think its a good lesson for the Fremantle side to PLAY to the wistle has blown.

They heard the siren, so did some of the Saints players, only the ones nearest the ball didnt hear it. Hence the reason they stopped thinking the game was over. Usually when the Siren goes, the Ump is blowing his whistle and you can barely hear the whilstle any way.

Freo won, and thats all there is to it

Sinski said:
There have been games in the past that have been decided by kicks after the siren which were clearly heard on the tv but not heard by the umpire until after the kicks and those games have always ended as is. Mind you this was a long time after the siren but the rule has always stated that the game does not end until the umpire hears the siren and blows his whistle. I cannot see how the AFL could change the result going on past matches that this has happened at and their reasons for stating why they will not change a result.
By the way I do not see Fremantle complaining about the missing 8 seconds in the final quarter of the match.
P.S Who would want to be an umpire!!!!!!

This is the first time this type of situation has happened in regards to a draw in a game

I would say that would be correct, but whats the difference to a team that should have won and ended in a draw or a loss.

None me thinks.

Sinski said:
I would say that would be correct, but whats the difference to a team that should have won and ended in a draw or a loss.
None me thinks.
To these two, not a lot. It does, however, set a precident for future decisions and these may be in "bigger" matches. Although this one ended in a dodgy draw, a future match could easily be a quarter final where the decision means that one team goes through to the semi final whilst the other is on the bus home with nothing.

Like with most things, it needs to be properly sorted now. Personally I think the St Kilda team ought to be sportsmanlike and refuse the win but that's me I guess.

mongoliantreesloth said:
Personally I think the St Kilda team ought to be sportsmanlike and refuse the win but that's me I guess.

Ironically, it was Stkilda back in 1906 (i think) who took legal action over a similar scenario, however they were on the other side of the fence. They ended up getting the rulling overturned, and 'won' the match.

My opinion? Blame the Tasmanians :D

Hammer said:
I think its a good lesson for the Fremantle side to PLAY to the wistle has blown.

Well from what i saw Freo did play til the end. They thought the game was over but the ump kept the game going and in the end St Kilda got a kick away for a point but if that was bad enough the stupid ump decided to give St Kilda another crack at the win!!!

If you ask me .... Did anyone mention "MATCH FIXING". Its the perfect opportunity for either, Gambling Agencies or another team or really anyone with plenty of cash to have an impact on a game! Pay off the 3 central umpires and let the game run for an extra 20 seconds to change the result of the match. Its happened in Cricket before so why not now in the AFL.

Can you just imagine if this happened in the Grand Final or even worse, if it were Collingwood the were in Fremantles position!!! My god they would have burnt down AFL Headquarters and probably most of Victoria too (not smart ass comments from interstaters LOL!)

Murderdoll said:
They heard the siren, so did some of the Saints players, only the ones nearest the ball didnt hear it. Hence the reason they stopped thinking the game was over. Usually when the Siren goes, the Ump is blowing his whistle and you can barely hear the whilstle any way.
Freo won, and thats all there is to it

The game is over when the umpire blows his whistle, not when the siren sounds!!! the timekeeper should have kept the siren going until he was 110% sure the umpire had heard it and blown his whistle.

Muels1 said:
Well from what i saw Freo did play til the end. They thought the game was over but the ump kept the game going and in the end St Kilda got a kick away for a point but if that was bad enough the stupid ump decided to give St Kilda another crack at the win!!!

The St.Kilda player was dumped after he kicked the ball. The player then has the option to take the score or have another shot. It was the correct call considering the game was still "alive".

John is correct, the quarter is not over until the umpire recognises the siren has sounded. If that doesn't occur the quarter continues until he hears a siren.

The exact opposite occurred a number of years back down at Kardinia Park. A train went past the ground and the umpire mistakingly thought the siren sounded when it was in fact that trains whistle! The remaining minutes left in the quarter were lost.

I can see legal action arising from the decision the commission makes tomorrow especially if they award Fremantle the victory. I personally think that the draw will stand but the commission will impliment a new rule. (Maybe a buzzer attached to the umpire that buzzes when the siren is sounded, or even a two way communications device) We live in a techonological society, these mistakes shouldn't occur.

Craig Ryan said:
(Maybe a buzzer attached to the umpire that buzzes when the siren is sounded, or even a two way communications device) We live in a techonological society, these mistakes shouldn't occur.

a 100,000v buzzer?

When the ump drops dead, the game is over!

Poor Timekeeper... TIME for him to look for another Job... Totally agree with you here John, you play until the umpire blows the whistle not the Siren Sound. Most sports that i know apply this rule. " Smart Saints " were just playing by the RULES ;)
GO SAINTS =D> =D> =D>

one thing we cant forget is that collingwood lost the 1980 grand final in similar circumstances yet eddie is still trying to get that result overutnred to this day. the umpires at waverly park did not hear the final siren and allowed play to continue giving north melbourne the opportunity to get a goal and win the match. surprised u didnt bring this up craig??

but as most have said, the game is not officially over till the umpire blows his whistle and raises his arms to signify the end of play, sorry to freo supporters but the draw should stand.

Back
Top Bottom