Weber Cup

Gnarkill

Has there ever been the interest for a Weber Cup style tournament to be bowled in Australia? Whether it be against another country, or just something interstate. I think it would be a great tournament to play in.

i was watching weber cup today and i was thinking to myself why dont they have one of them sought of tournies in australia that would be a heaps good idea
:twisted: :twisted: :twisted:
tye

The Weber Cup is an annual tournament between US and Europe, its a bowling version of the Ryder Cup in Gold i spose, they play singles and doubles that i am aware of, and points for each match win

Its a great idea... AUS vs NZL or even better... AUS vs ENG

An ashes in bowling, now that would be good

Weber Cup as has been said is between USA and Europe there are Teams games undertaken in the Baker Format (1st bowler bowls 1st and 6th Frame, 2nd bowler 2nd and 7th frame and so on like Royal Rumble!!) Doubles undertaken in the Scotch Doubles format and singles games!! Each game earns a point for the team and the first to 18 points takes out the title!!! Aust V NZ or Eng sounds good haha!!!

Dion

USA vs EUROPE U bowl singles doubles and a baker system and u get a point for every match and it's the first to 18 points or something like that it would be good to see AUS vs NZL or AUS vs ENG that would be good to see over one lane but u have to find a big enough plce to find run it

Yeh, and in a doubles match, each player takes alternate turns. ie, if bowler 1 bowls a 7, then bowler 2 goes for the spare. In order for bowler 2 to bowl for a strike, bowler 1 must bowl a strike first. In the Baker team format, there are teams of 5. Bowler 1 bowls frame 1, 2 bowls frame 2 and so on. This means that each bowler bowls two frames per game.

It's this format that makes gameplay so interesting.

Finding a centre to host this though would probably be hard though. Maybe Wonderbowl Castle Hill. I've bowled there a couple of times for our Defence Tournaments and they're quite a big centre.

umm in America and in England they don't find a bowling center to hold it they find shopping centers and they put one lane in and after the tournament they remove the lane. It's the Same as the masters they have on tv there in england on one lane in a shopping center. thats what i have heard

There was one of sorts back in the late 80's (87/88 I think) which involved Australia's best women bowlers of the time playing against a group of LPBT (PWBA) professionals.

The Australian team had players like Cheryl Munson, Ruth Guerster, and a few others......(I'll find the Pin Action mag later)

The Americans had Dana Miller-Mackie, Wendy McPherson, Anne-Maree Pike, Donna Adamek to name a few.
It was a very successful tournament from memory, and I think was held at Bankstown in Sydney.

It didn't have this, five bowlers bowling the one game stuff, like the World Team Challenge do though.

I think a weber cup style AUS v. NZ comp would be fantastic. I think Oz bowling needs more things like this, and interstate comp would be great too, much like the E.C.C.C. but more in a teams weber cup style format.

i think they should do a round robin tournament for the weber cup. Instead of just USA vs Europe, they should throw in a few other countries and do it that way. At least it wont be the same 2 teams every year.

There is also a Baker format, where each of the five members bowls a frame, then another 5 frames later. So if you lead off you bowl the first, then the 6th. The Captain bowls last, and throws all potential 3 in the 10th.

The Yanks have dominated this over the last few years, but Europe is starting to get the hang of it now.

The alternate shot doubles makes for interesting viewing, if you are the lead off bowler and dont throw a strike, your partner is always just shooting your spares. They only get a chance for a strike, when you get one.

Darryl

oops - sorry just re-read posts, this has already been mebntioned. Sorry :oops:

umm in America and in England they don't find a bowling center to hold it they find shopping centers and they put one lane in and after the tournament they remove the lane. It's the Same as the masters they have on tv there in england on one lane in a shopping center. thats what i have heard

I thought they held both events at the Goresbrook Leisure Centre in Dagengham. I know that the Masters is held there...

Ash said:
I think a weber cup style AUS v. NZ comp would be fantastic. I think Oz bowling needs more things like this, and interstate comp would be great too, much like the E.C.C.C. but more in a teams weber cup style format.

Perhpas a Tri-Nations tournament with Aus, NZ, and RSA wouldn't be a bad idea huh...

Had to check your forum out!

I've always wondered why the Baker format has never really been used here in OZ, I think it's a great format, and would love to see a tournament much the way the world team challenge in the US works, where you bowl 5 man teams in qualifying then baker format in the stepladder final...

I wonder if there is anyone around willing to set something like this up? would there be enough interest to host a National event like this, say once a year or so?

The Baker system is used for the Royal Rumble at the Junior Nationals so it is used in Aust. but to my knowledge the adults dont use it!!!

Back
Top Bottom