UPCOMGIN TOURNAMENT - 2001 Greenslopes Cup

Graham

Staff member
When : Saturday 13th and Sunday 14th October

Where : Greenslopes Lanes, Brisbane ph 07 33976191

Entry : $140

Format : 2 Squads, Bowl 12 games
Squad A Saturday @ 1pm (check in 12.30pm)
Squad B Saturday @ 5.30pm (check in 5pm)

Cut to top 12 (Pinfall foes not carry over)

Sunday @ 9am 11 games Matchplay, followed by positional round.

Prizemoney (on 40 entries):
1st $600
2nd $475
3rd $375
4th $300
5th $250
6th $225
7th $220
8th $180
9th $170
10th $160
11th $150
12th $140

Well bowling campers, as at today, 4th October, Greenslopes have the grand total of 8 bowlers down for this tournament.

Guess this is heading down the way of a few others. It seems a shame that qld, the home of bowling tournaments, so it appears, cannot get numbers to these events to make them even run.

Moving up here from nsw last christmas, I remember tournaments having 3 squads qualifying on nsw grand prix events last year.

What is happening - surely it cannot be only about lane conditions! From what I have seen to date, there are enough talented and fringe qld bowlers to make a terrific qld circuit!

Out of general enquiry what will it take to make a successful tournament scene in qld - I invite all comments - if you want email to me direct at [email protected]

I would love to run a tournament at hyperbowl but with tournament numbers being so low, I could not even approach our directors with this thought until we can be clear on why our tournament scene is struggling so much.

All comments are welcome!

Hopefully see everyone at Greenslopes and Gympie (I believe that Gympie have similar numbers as Greenslopes) :-(

May the bowling gods be with us all.

Cheers

Jon King

hi jon , as you know i have bowled the last 2 tournaments (kedron,ballina) and now have to buy some new equipment to keep up in doing this i will not be able to afford to bowl the next couple of events.this is a sad fact of life that with the conditions set today and the lastest equipment has made bowling a rich man sport.i don't have a sponsor or rich parents to buy me new equipment each month so i put time into practise and bowl tournament when i can afford them.

as for getting people back to tournaments i am not sure that this can be done, the biggest problem we have is conditions allways have and allways will.look at the ditches being set for tournaments now you have to ave 220+ to make a cut and that just scares fringe bowlers away,but if you set a tough condition than it is **** and no-one will be back next year see the problem!!

maybe we need to look at a series of tournaments around brisbane say 8-10 were u can pay off your entry fee's through out the year .make entry fees $100 and pay first $500 so if there is 10 tournaments it will cost you $1000 dollars to bowl all 10,now you could pay your local centre $50 per week untill it is paid off(this would have to be a legal agreement that the bowlers and centre both agree to),all prize money is held untill the finall event and any outstanding fees must be paid before the last event.
now the centres would have to do a little work to make this happen and to compensate there work they can bank the money into a acccount and the interest should help cover there cost.

i am not sure if it would work but i do know it would make life easier for me to find $50 a week and then be able to bowl 10 touraments in a year.

BFCC
Well I don't agree with the centres being paid off to bowl tournaments.Surley if ppl can afford to put $50 away every week then why not put it into a bank account.
Even $20 or $30 will work if ppl are keen enough to bowl.
Now I didn't bowl Ballina but I was at kedron, and the only (shall i say big name bowler) who was there was George.I am sure he was there cos he just likes to bowl as many events as possible,and good on him for his dedication.
It just seems that the super 6 events have taken more bowlers away than any big ditch or great equipment.Look at Robbie Buckley, I only ever see him bowl with the 1 ball all the time, and yet he almost always makes the cut.Now maybe he does have more equipment put something new in his hand and he could be a real force to reckon with.
I am sure everybody has their own opinion on why tournaments are down in numbers,but it would be great to get back to pulling 50-60 ppl for almost every tournament again.
Maybe it comes down to the ppl who run them and how they are run.Look at the twin tour!!!Mary gets about 100 bowlers.She has worked hard and dome a FANTASTIC job for all kinds of bowlers in qld.
Well I guess I have rambled on enough.CHOW

THIS IS JUST MY OPINION!!!
icon_biggrin.gif
icon_biggrin.gif
icon_razz.gif

My 2c worth...
The equipment factor is a problem, mostly because people think new equipment is a must to be competitive. That is true to some extent in a carry contest, but on a fair shot it's less of a factor and on a tough shot it really doesn't matter. You can still make money with older or secondhand equipment - I have 4 resin balls (yes, 4, Dwambo!), all at least 3 years old and all got secondhand for a TOTAL of less than $250. They match up to my game well, and I have cut basically on all types of shot this year without spending a cent on new gear. Add a mixture of urethane & really old stuff, and I think I have a shot on just about any pattern, and if not I usually spare my way in anyway. I'll maybe add a new (or old) ball or 2 next year, but realistically I can't justify spending more than that unless I bowl more of the Super Six events.
I think one of the problems is the huge glut of tournaments at the moment - there is one every week for about the next two months. The money at Greenslopes ****s, and Gympie is a bit of a drive, so most casual tmt bowlers will bowl Mary's tournament because it's cheap, close and one day. If either Gympie or G/s were isolated, they would get more bowlers. Its like the Melbourne weather - if you don't like what's on now, just wait a bit. I'm bowling Greenslopes for the points, possibly Gympie, and definitely Townsville. After that are Capalaba and Redcliffe. That's an expensive run for anyone not cashing regularly.
Promotion of tournaments is a big issue, too. Mary lines most of her bowlers up at the previous stop. Dates are set well ahead, she has fridge magnets with all the dates & phone numbers on - it all helps. Townsville is filling fast, and Cairns has 46 entrys already for a tournament in January, off a much smaller bowler base - some people have been laybying their entry for months.
Richlands runs tournament leagues. 24 weeks, 4 games, $20 per week gets entry into the Western Open (first season) and Redcliffe (second season). That's a painless way of covering two tournaments. Get a group together and see what sort of deal you can get for a late night league in dead time. We did, and it works.
I don't have an easy answer for the numbers. It's easy to blame the shot, or the equipment, or sponsorship, but the fact is that a lot of people simply don't look forward to bowling in the tournaments any more. Ten years ago, you'd get fifty people who weren't there to win, but to bowl with and against people like Carl and Drewie. Where the hell are they now? They are still there, but instead of 50 at one tournament we are getting 15 at 3 different ones.

Rob.
PS - thanks Dwambo, it's nice to know SOMEONE think I can bowl!
icon_wink.gif

John, My thoughts on getting numbers to bowling tournaments is that we simply need to cut down on the amount that are run each year. Its simply, not everyone can afford to bowl every weekend and its just about every weekend there is a tournament on some where.

Just my thoughts anyway. (Could be wrong)
icon_rolleyes.gif

Back
Top Bottom