Two patterns for one event?

GeorgeF

Hypercell = Hyperhook!
I'm not talking extremes like the short and long at Worlds but it certainly would make it interesting to run 2 different patterns over a weekend tournament. I think the best bowler (adaptable) would win.

The only problem would be taking gear to the tournament but if the patterns were similar in length I think it would be ok. What do you think? Would you like to bowl on 2 different patterns, one for qualifying and one for the finals?

I wouldn't say 1 condition for qualifying and 1 for the finals would be ideal, But 2 different conditions in qualifying might be more of a challenge, then you may get better indication of bowler adaptability for a tourny. Cream will always rise to the top tho, but may allow other bowlers to hit a purple patch and progress further in a tournament than they thought possible.

Just a thought tho.
Jason

Agree with Draco.. not 1 for Qual and 1 for finals..

2 different qualifying sessions and the combined average for the cut.. then one of the patterns to be laid for finals.

This has already been done at the Gold Coast tournie last year, whilst the event wasnt run the best, the 4 different patterns used including the totally unused one for the finals really IMO a nice change in tournament formats and conditioning, plus I dont think they proved too much of a challenge and most people were able to cope with the different patterns without too many ball changes. Granted each pattern was only played on for 6 games.

Would be nice to see something similar happen again, always good to have a different format to the 500 game marathons we continue to play here where the lane and not the bowlers usually dictates who wins.

Gee, I remember Bowling in the Brisbane Cup at Clayfield in 1982, for the Finals they Double Oiled the Lanes, is this the same thing, this was a common occurrence in the 80's. Of course being a rather Quick Bowler the extra Oil didn't help me as I lost my first 9 Matches but when the lanes dried out a bit I won my next 9 Matches, it didn't help I still finished 20th out of 20, the Tournament was Won by Lovel and there was 7 Lefty's in the final.

willey

I think two patterns is a good idea. Preferably with neither being symmetrical. It tests people's abilities to play different parts of the lane. (And I might actually get to stand on the RHS of the approach on a good short pattern!)

My only concern is that repeated Kegel washing not only increases backend over/under reaction but also to makes the cross lane ratio steeper than intended, as the thinner outside distribution just breaks down on contact with residual lane wash chemical and is rapidly removed by superballs. Therefore I'd propose that the patterns get longer as the tournament progresses to help to counter this problem which causes excessive over/under reaction.

as long as you boys realise, theres no quick flick of a switch to get a new pattern

not if you want it done properly anyway

Back
Top Bottom