So long Queanbeyan Bowl

JWhitty

Code and Scoring Guru
Well I've just come home from bowling a farewell game at Queanbeyan, which closed its doors today forever after 20 years.

Personally I started my league bowling in that centre, almost exactly 10 years ago - back in Dec '97 I remember getting my first ball, bag and shoes from Terry so I was ready for league in the new year :)

Anyway, I didn't intend to start a "Memories of Queanbeyan" thread, I wanted to say "See you 'round" to Scott and his staff, and thank you for your contributions to the game and my development personally.

And not that he'll see it, thanks also to Scott's ol' man Terry Gooch who played a big part in getting me started in bowling 10 years ago.

Good luck for the future mate, must be time to reign in the handicap a few strokes - and maybe extend the family? :p

It's sad to see another bowl go under. Plenty of reasons for bowling's downturn, not the least of which is the skyrocketing lineage prices charged by the 'quick buck artists' who have infiltrated our local centres.

It's time to return the game to those who would benefit most...the children!

To all you parents out there, get down to your local centre and plead for a much lower lineage rate for the kids sake. And to the proprietors of Australian Bowling Centres...no more short term thinking..plan for your future by making bowling affordable once again.

Actually feasibility wasn't the real issue - the bowl's on a pretty big block within a quick walk of the town centre, it's a brilliant and pleasant location for housing.

I expect we'll see another apartment block shoot up there very quickly.

Apparently the offer was too good for the site owner to refuse!

Let's hope Scott finds somewhere worth re-opening on here in the area

The block can be seen on your right as you make it to the first major roundabout into Queanbeyan's town centre (if you come via the Federal Highway from Sydney). Looks big! Can't see the bowl from all the trees though.

It's a shame that it's closing down. I do hope Scott does find something close, because Queanbeyan needs its bowling centre for its bowling community. I'd safely say that a good majority of ACT bowlers are actually from Queanbeyan.

Although I have only bowled there for this years ACT State Championships and the recent Queanbeyan City Championships, my memories from the centre will be cherished. Although we only bowled 6 days there, Renee and I made so many new friends there! But not all's lost. We will keep in touch!

Queanbeyan Tenpin Bowl, we'll miss you!

Thanks for the memories!

I would like to say that the closure of Queanbeyan Bowl has left quite a hole to fill in my own life. Not only am I now unemployed for a couple of weeks, I now may actually have to get a real social life! No more QBN bowl to escape to & spend hours on end, no more going to work early just to spend more time there, no more getting bored at home at going down for a bowl.

While I personally may only have worked at QBN for the last year & a bit & bowled only for the last couple of years, the bowl quickly became the focal point of my life. I will miss it greatly. There were ups & downs but on the whole I will always treasure my time there.

I have made many friends & met some great people through QBN bowl and I will always credit QBN for being the catalyst of that.

I would like to thank all those who honoured QBN bowl with their patronage & wish you all well with your future bowling efforts minus the experience of bowling at QBN. While there have been ups & downs, I'm sure that QBN bowl will be missed by the majority.

To the rest of the staff: JJ, Grantley, Scott, Brendan & Mathew- thanks guys; it was an experience & all the best. To Scott especially- I wish you all the best for the future & I did enjoy working for you. You have taught me a lot. Thankyou.

The ACT bowling community has experienced quite a loss this week & hopefully QBN bowl will be remembered fondly by all.

Rebecca Tapper
(Former) Assistant Manager of Queanbeyan Tenpin Bowl

To Scott & the present & past staff,
Thanks for all the great times we have had at Qbn. Will miss it terribly. Have made some good friends, and will look back in future years to the best bowl in the area with atmosphere and a presence of local community.
PS Isn't it time you cancelled your ads on 2CA. They are still playing them - only heard them this morning.
Sue & Rick Rose :(

It was a pleasure working and bowling at Qbn at various times over the last 15 Years. Working with Jan and Allen , and Terry and Scott taught me a lot , not just about bowling but people as well. Thanks for the experience

My sentiments exactly Wayne, I worked in Bowling Centres from the age of 17 till I was 52, it was obvious to me what caused the "sudden" Downhill Spiral. It all came about because AMF America wanted to sell, so they instructed all thier Regional Managers that thier was to be no Discount Bowling, I seen Mayfield Bowl go from having 3 games for $9.90 on Sunday night after 9pm to no discount at all, they used to average 200 games on a Sunday night, with Snack Bar trade and Pinball trade to absolutely NO trade at all.

I could'nt convince the new owner to re-introduce the discount, I'm afraid the $ signs cloud thier judgement, they still never had any buisness on Sunday night up untill I left and bought my own Business.

willey

It breaks my heart to read Frank's comments above, mostly because they're true.

I recently worked with a woman who told me about how in Great Britain, bowling prices fluctuate depending on the time of day. They used to play after 10:00 p.m. when games were 30% cheaper in London (18 months ago) than "Tight-As" Thursdays. (Guess which place has the greater cost of living.) Beer revenue made up for it substantially and people needed to book lanes to get on. It just makes sense, unless you are nailed to an outdated and myopic doctrine of profit-per-line.

Back on topic though, I dearly wanted to play in the last QBN championships, but was so exhausted after Brunswick Cup, it took me over a week to recover while learning a new job and having the flu. I already regret missing that. I really liked the little house across town.

I had a good chat with Scott before they closed the doors though and wished him well in future endeavours. Folks like him are good for bowling as a sport as well as a recreation. I bet you a dollar he'll pop up again.

Cheers,
Jason

Back
Top Bottom