Question: Victorian State Championships

jockey

On Sunday I bowled in the Victorian State Championships at Moorabbin and it was sad to see that what should be a prestigious event is a poor shadow of its former self.

If it was not for a group of very entusiastic Knox Junior bowlers the Squads run on the day would have been practically empty. Well done to all these Knox juniors on their bowling on the weekend. I hope all of you enjoy your participation in the sport.

My question is as this event is a prerequisite for all the official State Teams why has there been no mention of it on this forum. Although it was only the first weekend, with the Gold Coast event clashing with the final weekend and Victorian Masters, I was surprised to not see more of the elite Victorian bowlers their on Sunday. Yes their is next weekend and the final Saturday but it still was surprising.

Is this event now not improtant enough anymore for bowlers to bowl in?

Is it the fact it is being held so early in the year?

I would be interested to hear the thoughts of the other bowlers on this forum with regards to this as this event at least I believe deserves more.

Why bowl the state championships if you can't bowl the masters?

What, other than a sure spot in the Australian Masters final does the state championships offer "Joe bowler"? The state teams are forced to bowl it if they wish to represent their state, but what about those that have other goals in the sport? What incentive do they have?

On a personal note, Purely the fact the masters clashes with the gold coast sports final is the reason I am not bowling this event. Not to mention the first I heard it was on was someone asking me last week if I was going to Moorabbin for it. Previous to that conversation with the bowler, I didn't even know it was on.

i know the vic team r bowling on the 23rd and 24th..
i say they run it over too many weekends

but hey thats just my opinion..

Terry,

Perhaps not a question for you, however, why hasn't this been advertisied on total bowling?

I bowl league at Moorabbin and the first I heard of it was last week! It makes you wonder why there is so much secrecy with this event? Anyway, with such short notice, personally, I too have had other plans.

Michael

personally i cant say i ever saw the state championships as prestigous?it has basically always been an event that we have been forced to bowl in if we wanted to bowl for our state team,and the only reason i am bowling!
i am not bowling masters for exactly the same reason as tonx it clashes with an event on the gold coast.
it would not suprise me seeing the championships are a pre requisite for trying out for rachiug that we struggle as with last year to even get 16 people try out,we had much more attendance when the state champs were held later in the year and from memory was moved so that the juniors could bowl state champs before president shield?
personally i see it as an extra cost to make the state team that could be money better spent on family and mortgage!
cheers

For me it's too early in the year.

By the time we got entry forms down here in Sale, the leagues had already finished for the year and as a lot of the leagues have only just started back end of Jan beginning of Feb, it doesn't leave much time for bowlers to plan.

Liz

Agree guys very early in the year and I'm sure they could put some other criteria in place to accommodate the juniors if they have to bowl in the champs to be able to bowl President Shield.

I too did not bowl for the masters as I am also going to the Gold Coast event but it does beg to question why should this event be held so early in the year.

Let's hope the VTBA have a big rethink on the timing of this event for next year as although it may not be thought too prestigious by some the event does deserve to be much better patronised if it wants to be able to maintain the right to call itself a State Championship.

Well Terry It will all depend on when the Junior Nationals are next year as before our juniors can bowl President Shield they have to bowl State Champs and considering they moved Junior Nationals to April Victenpins had to move the State Champs to Febuary cause it. State are in May but again cause of Junior Nationals it's to late for Juniors to bowl and have Masters Champion at Junior Nationals. So on this note i think you find it next state champs will be in Febuary next year. This the first time in 4 years i've been able to bowl Masters as i've been a National Ranked Tournament.

You will most of the bowlers will either bowl this weekend or the weekend before masters.

I don't think posting on TB would up the participation rate all that much.
TB has only 3825 members across Australia, of that number I would be curious to know how many are from Vic.

I am sure VTBA could find a way to ensure that they were advertised on here and not just on the Vicpin & TBA sites.

Participation rates are falling in most events these days it seems. The Sport Series events are going along nicely all around the country ~ value for money, variety and new challenges seem to be the most common resons for their popularity. (Will get to bowl in 1 one day)

Maybe firm dates need to set be in place, then spice the event up a little, give it some variety. Championships have been exactly the same for a long time now. Time to look at them from outside the box? WHo knows?

JMO

Rob

I don't see why the criteria can't be set that juniors must have bowled in the previous years state champs rather than the current years. The masters champs could also come from these for the junior nationals.

For the year where the transition occurs there could be exemptions granted for bowlers who have bowled in enough events (determined by the state commitee) for those that had not bowled in the state champs.

Surely some commonsense decision could be made.

The reason the States are bowled before President Shield is so the Masters winner can represent Victoria at the Nationals.

The winner from the previous year may be ageing out.

President Shield was held in July and was moved to April as this was a better time for bowlers who are doing year 12.

The problem is that these State event should be published and promoted 3-4 months prior to the event being held.
Years ago we could attract all type of averages for these championships because we had committee's who would get off their arses and promote these events.
We had volunteers who would organise groups of bowlers from their own centres.These days no one is interested because it is like too much work. Centres wont promote them because the Championships are held in another centre and we can not have one centre promoting an event in another centre. It is about time ALL centres and ALL associations thru out Victoria promoted all Vic events being held(display entry forms etc) and maybe just maybe some of our dedicated League bowlers might venture to another centre and help put bowling back as a major attraction.

We need to promote our great game of Tenpin Bowling from within our own Centres and Assciations. Until then bowling will remain a MINOR sporting attraction.:eek:

Joe makes alot of valid points. I personally know that entry forms were given to all independent and AMF centres throughout the state.

After these entry forms are placed in the centre, who knows what happens to them?

I certainly agree with many of the posts, the formats, dates and structure of this event needs to be looked at.

With some great feedback here about the championships, I will make sure all of these issues are raised at the VicTenpins be-brief on the event.

Grant Eadie
Vic- TBA State Manager

Joe, Good Point right. I know i placed state champ forms for the State Championships at Forest Hill but don't know if there still there or somewhere there. Yes it's all about promoting anyway. Grant you also make a valid point well there has to ways we can change it. Good to see that you will do something about it.

Some interesting feedback regarding State Championships. Grant is correct, the best part of 1,000 entries were distributed to Victorian centres during November and were followed up in January.

The various comments and opinions expressed here and elsewhere will be taken into consideration in preparing for the 2009 event.

Jamie Taafe
VicTenpins

ask yourself 1 question

what is or are the benefit(s) in bowling in this event

thats what every prospective bowler asks them self when looking for an event to bowl in

some may not like the format

some may not like the venue

some may think they are above it

some may be critical of the organisation

some may have had a bad experience in the past

the event might clash

the event may be a stepping stone to another event, which a player can't compete in

some may not fill the criteria

Back
Top Bottom