NQ Rachuig ? Can it really be true ?

F

Funky Chicken

At 8.30pm tonight(12/7/02) I was informed by the President of the Magnetic North Tenpin Bowling Association (North Queensland), that NQ are to have their own Rachuig team.

Has anybody else heard this ??

I hope it is true as it will give us Northerners a chance to showcase some of the excellent talent we have up here.

Please let me know, as I know we have tried before and failed. It really would be the shot in the arm that bowling in NQ needs.

Cheers

Steve Hunt
icon_smile.gif
icon_smile.gif
icon_smile.gif

Yes it was announced last night that the TBA Board decided yesterday that as of 2003 North Queensland will have their own team in the Rachuig competition.

The venue for the 2003 Nationals was also announced .. Townsville being decided the venue.

Graham,

Thanks for the confirmation. Great news for all NQ bowlers.

I must admit I was surprised when I heard Townsville were getting the Nationals again, coz let me tell ya Kirwan ain't any better than it was back in 1990.

Cheers

Steve Hunt
icon_smile.gif
icon_smile.gif
icon_smile.gif

Andrew - At this stage they have not decided on the extra team.

Unofficially it has been suggested that it is possible an invitational team might be invited to attend.

My suggestion : how about including New Zealand ??

Hi Graham,

I agree with your suggestion of inviting our neighbours across the tasman to join in Rachuig, I am sure that they would jump at the chance to bowl against our best bowlers.

Another suggestion is fielding a second team from NSW. Qld is being split probably because of sheer size of the state and depth of bowlers. To my mind NSW falls into the same category.
icon_eek.gif

Nada L

PLEASE, PLEASE, PLEASE, don't make us bowl at KIRWAN. When we bowl shield there in 92 they didn't oil the lanes on the 2nd day!!. Matt Burtt was throwing a BLUE DOT Gutter to Gutter. PLEASE, PLEASE, PLEASE, let us bowl at CURRAJONG. They know what oil is.

Hmmmmm...Yes Kirwan 1992....Took 13lb and 14lb balls to Shield that year because of a back injury - the result of my best mate and I running the Kingswood over a speed-hump at 130kmh being chased by the cops two weeks before Shield.
I was very surprised to bowl my first shot in the Championships at nearly 30mph and take the 4-7 off the rack - The weather was good though. :twisted:

I don't think you have to worry about Kirwan too much. Gone are the days of washing the old wood lanes with diesel. Ian Waters runs a good show up there and with 24 synthetic lanes and a pheonix up his sleeve, I"m come 2003 he would have figured out some decent patterns to put down.

Funky chicken, it is great news for NQ. Ever since we were juniors we had always hoped it would come true, now it has. I'm sure your team will be alot stronger than people give credit for. Look forward to seeing in November and having a beer over this discussion.

G

PS I think the OTT meister will make a return! other teams will then learn to clear the playing area if he is coming through.......
icon_biggrin.gif

What about a 10th team from Northern NSW.

Possible Starters for men and women :
Jason and Cameron Walsh (nth coast)
Mick Little (Newcastle)
Robert Thompson (Newcastle)

Amanda Bradley (Newcastle)
Ann Maree Putney (Newcastle)
Sharon Rigney (Newcastle)
Emma Rutten (Nth coast)

Or a NSW Country Side.
Just add these players to the ones I have already mentioned :
Jason Belmonte (orange)
Andrew Frawley (sth coast)
Jarod Lean (central coast)
Craig Bourke (Riverina)
Sue Cassel (sth Coast)
Katie Stuart (central coast)
Leanne Prentzel (sth Coast)

Excellent suggestion Graham!!
icon_smile.gif

I can ensure you that I personally would jump at the chance if New Zealand was invited and I would hope that I could convince the rest of our top bowlers to do the same.

Not a bad idea Rob about a NSW Country Team.

Hopefully they would consider Illawarra and Central Coast as country NSW.

That way "The Gang" could still be the back bone of the womens team. Like you suggested add Emma and Sharon (if she was bowling competitively) to the team and then sit back and see if anybody gets within 15 - 20 points.

icon_biggrin.gif
icon_biggrin.gif
icon_biggrin.gif
icon_smile.gif
icon_biggrin.gif

Just remember Rob - it hasn't been Katie Stuart for a while now mate. It is now Katie KOTTEAKOS. Get it right.
icon_confused.gif
icon_confused.gif

Plenty of other guys in that area that can hold there own when given the opportunity. Plus some already have Rachuig experience in some pretty solid NSW teams over the years. Main one that comes to mind is the "Forgotten One" Christian Purdue. Then don't forget Ash up in Grafton.

Thanks Greg. I always seem to get forgotten.

I would suggest a NSW Country Rachuig Team with the zones being Illawarra, Central Coast and Western NSW (Wagga, Orange, Bathurst)

That would then cancel out the bye.

hey Pete...
even without a set of lanes at Elliot, you should be a shoe in to make your home state side...the numbers are not the same as in Qld
icon_biggrin.gif
icon_rolleyes.gif
icon_biggrin.gif

Jagga
icon_cool.gif

While the idea of a NSW country side has a lot of merit, how about inviting the Presidents Shield allstar (or whatever it's called) teams as the extra team?

In the 1980's Presidents shield invited a U.S. team along to Tassy...

Although they didnt compete against all the other states, each game one of the reserve members from each state joined to form a different team to play against them.

Perhaps including an international level team could be good developement (and fun) for all involved.

To make it fair, the bye should automatically award all points to the team (wouldn't be fair for a state/ territory to lose a position if they were beaten by a team from another country - especially if it were 1st position!).

That way, when teams are bowilng against the invitational team they can relax, or experiment with equipment/ line-up changes etc...

As for a country NSW... well, if QLD can have two teams, so should NSW - but bare in mind that NSW country would kick arse !!!!

Hey... will us bowlers who aren't good enough to make our home state teams be able to apply for drafting to North QLD????

What-ever happens, lets hope they dont simple make a team sit out each round... That would be unfair and de-motivating.

You should also consider, if there was a nsw country team, those that will be classed as adults as of next year. A few names that come to mind are Pat Egan, Josie Avison,James Titchmarsh and Sally Kerr.Not a bad group of bowlers.
icon_eek.gif
icon_eek.gif
icon_eek.gif

My first thought when hearing of the addition of NQ into the Rachuig tourney was why dont they simply follow the make up of the Shield teams.

That way u would get ur extra team?

I think also the only other good idea is that of Rob Buckley and entering the Junior Allstar team from Shield - only catch there is what if they had already qualified to represent their home state for Rachuig??

icon_rolleyes.gif
icon_rolleyes.gif
icon_rolleyes.gif
icon_rolleyes.gif
icon_rolleyes.gif
icon_rolleyes.gif

Back
Top Bottom