Oztenpin Altona

37th Australian Junior National Championship
216-230 Blackshaws Road Altona North Victoria 3025
March 31st to April 15th, 2007
(Victorian 1st Term School Holidays)

46th Australian National Championship
216-230 Blackshaws Road Altona North Victoria 3025
October 3rd to 20th, 2007
(Dates subject to finalisation of event schedule)

Also there is a change to the teams competing aswell. For more information visit TBA

Give me a break, dont any of the other states have bowling centres or are they all in Victoria. This will be the 3rd year in a row that Youth has been in Victoria, making it difficult for us parents that would like to watch our children bowl in tournaments now and then. Its not often that I have a winge but now they have cut the number of teams in Youth, Junior and Adults at their respective championships, no more Northern N.S.W or Central and Queensland is now one team. Surely this will cut the number of entries at the championships because bowlers wont go unless they are representing their zone and now there are less zones.
Ok Ive vented my gripes but sometimes I dont know if some people think before they act.
By the way this is not Sally but her mum.
Sandra:confused:

There is alot of criteria for the centres to hold the Nationals in each category including sponsorship and the amount of lanes needed. An example is that 24 lanes are needed to host the Adult Nationals, any less and you will never host them. There are 58 centres in Australia that have 24 lanes or more that can host Adult Nationals and not all would tender. That is the reason for the Nationals being held in the same states for several years as not many centres tender.

Less than five centres from 32 tendered for the NSW Junior State Masters Tournament for 2006 that was held last month. That event was just state, so you could imagine how many would tender for National.

Tournaments are on the decline, especially in NSW and centres are looking for profits. Tournaments don't make any profit. I know it's sad to say and the bowlers lose out, but that is the future.

They have only cut the teams down in Youth and Adults not in anything else but Youth and Adults. thats what it says on the TBA site and the centers bid every year to hold the nationals and that and the best offer must of come from Werribee and Altona so TBA have said yes to this centers so they will hold the Nationals in 2007 good to see Altona getting it good center very open.
Chris

The number of states participating have been reduced because the talent of bowlers is not there anymore. Why would you want to have a junior or youth bowler in a state team that averages 120, that's what was happening. Then the sport would most likely lose that bowler due to embarrassment of being smashed by the countries best talent. Also number of entries have been declining for years and reducing the number of state teams would not make any difference.

The big picture is on the wall and it hasn't been seen yet. Something needs to be done with the picture or the future of the sport will come crashing down in a big way.

Last time I rolled off Queensland had some pretty good talent in the South at least, and the North wasn't too shabby.. certainly not embarrassing. That goes for both Youth and Rachuig.

And as for the youth challange being held in Victoria.. again... I'm sure Werribee will do another fantastic job of it and good luck to them, but it would be nice to get one in Queensland! And for youth challenge you don't need 24 lanes as far as I can establish, as there is no championships attached to it. You could hold it in a 16 lane centre. Caboolture has 18 which would be enough, and has a Kegel (come on batesy you know you want to tender for 2008 :D ).

The weather's not that bad up here...

My sources tell me that there was only 4 centres who submitted an expression of interest to host these events. 1 from ACT and 3 from Victoria.

The potential income for the centres according to the TBA website (Nationals link) doesn't look too bad either:

Nationals Lineage

2004 Youth $10,219 (5 days)
2004 Junior $56,854 (16 days & 13,536 games)
2004 Adult $59,035 (18 days & 12,833 games)
2004 Total $126,108

2005 Youth $12,081 (5 days)
2005 Junior $79,667 (16 days & 14,485 games)
2005 Adult $69,634 (18 days & 12,674 games)
2004 Total $161,382

2006 Youth $16,310 (5 days)
2006 Total $190,000 (estimated projection based on current trend)

2007 Total $230,000 (estimated projection based on current trend)

Junior participation on the increase, Adult participation on the decline. However lineage income for the centres up 27% (2004 to 2005 comparison).

While "The Host Centre must offer a lineage rate no higher than the Centre’s nightly league rate".

15,000 games returning $80,000 over 16 days sounds pretty attractive. Makes you wonder why more centres do not wish to nominate.

Hey I would love it if Queensland or Canberra held them for a change, it seems that Victoria are getting a monopoly on tournaments. And yes Christian I know that numbers are declining in junior and youth and it is up to all centres to try and get new bowlers to tournaments but that proves difficult when they are all held in one state. We need some held a little closer or there is no incentive.
At Maitland we have our Intercenter bowlers and we are trying to get them interested by taking them to bowl in Championships relatively close to home, but they are few and far between, even the local centre championships are on the decline, very shortly they will be obsolete.

Easy Tiger,

I realize you don't need 24 lanes for the youth and junior Nationals, If you read my post I was using the adult Nationals as an example and in that event a centre must have 24 lanes. I believe it's 16 lanes for youth and 20 lanes for junior nationals.

Bugs says only 4 centres submitted tenders for the events. The events won't go anywhere else unless centres tender. I arrest my case.

Thanks for that info bugs.
:D

Darwin put in a bid for the Youth Nationals a couple of years ago and put forward some of the benefits, ie cheaper airfares and accom at that time of year because a large part of Darwin goes south for holidays, a good rate on lineage, etc. Also our 16 lanes would have been enough for the Youth. Perth I believe were also interested, but told the same things.
We were told unofficially by TBA that regional centres would not be looked on favourably for Nationals because they were outside the major cities and entries would be down. Funny enough, I had a look at some of the statistics and this wasn't the case.
It makes it hard for some states to have to come up with expensive airfares year after year because they are not considered the major cities.
Maybe it is time for States that continually get Nationals to pay a levy to be distributed to those that have far to travel.
Debbie

Darwin put in a bid for the Youth Nationals a couple of years ago and put forward some of the benefits, ie cheaper airfares and accom at that time of year because a large part of Darwin goes south for holidays, a good rate on lineage, etc. Also our 16 lanes would have been enough for the Youth.

We were told unofficially by TBA that regional centres would not be looked on favourably for Nationals because they were outside the major cities and entries would be down. Perth I believe were also interested, but told the same things.

Funny, I had a look at some of the statistics and this wasn't the case.

It makes it hard for some states to have to come up with expensive airfares year after year because they are not considered the major cities.
Maybe it is time for States that continually get Nationals to pay a levy to be distributed to those that have far to travel.

Debbie

I know our Centre looked at tendering for the Adult Nationals but it was the extra requirements that put them off ie a lot of separate rooms for the 5 tournament team (with separate fax, phone and internet cabling, tea/coffee facilities, access to photocopier), areas for sports medicine, drug testing, check in, merchandise sales and photographer, lockable ball paddock, sponsorship of $10,000, etc, etc. The requirements also state that the centre will provide a fully stocked and attended pro-shop throughout the event (even though this has not happened over the last few years) Our centre could not see the benefits of outlaying a significant amount of time and money to rearrange the internal structure of our newly renovated building to accommodate these requirements so unfortunately did not bid.

I am sure there are many other centres in the same position. It is not the lineage that is the problem it is the other areas required.

Just something else I remembered being told a while ago.

Sports Commission may only fund State teams that represent individual states ie one team for each state only. I don't know whether this is still the case as maybe this is why there is only one team per state.

sallylicious said:
Hey I would love it if Queensland or Canberra held them for a change, it seems that Victoria are getting a monopoly on tournaments. And yes Christian I know that numbers are declining in junior and youth and it is up to all centres to try and get new bowlers to tournaments but that proves difficult when they are all held in one state. We need some held a little closer or there is no incentive.
Am l not wrong in thinking that the Aust Junior Championships have been held in Canberra for 2005 & 2006.
Altona is a very open centre, with all the latest equipment from Brunswick. It has the new seating arrangment as well, with individual tables per lane. A massive players area behind this, plus a large concourse area.
I am surprised the teams have been reduced in Rachuig. If 1 Aus team has been dropped, does that also mean the NZ team has been dropped, or are we going to be inviting another team from somewhere else to increase the teams back to 10.

Hey guys, not too sure if this is the right place to ask this question, or if it has already been asked and answered.. but...

i am just curious for the reason of dropping north queensland from the rachuig comp. they have only been involved for what, 3 years? if i am incorrect please let me know.

i know shield has had north & south queensland for a very long time and i dont understand why you would cut one team from a national tournament and not the rest.

anyway, just curious.. :)

cheers guys!
martina

ms said:
i know shield has had north & south queensland for a very long time and i dont understand why you would cut one team from a national tournament and not the rest.
anyway, just curious.. :)
cheers guys!
martina

Probably if they cut the rest they wouldn't have a National Tournament.:D :D

Robbie Buckley emailed Peter Coburn and Posted in the QLD forum a reply.

RobbieB said:
Having emailed Peter Coburn, it seems that the excision of NQ as a separate team is at the 'request' of the ASC. Since the ASC gives TBA a significant amount of money, unfortunately TBA simply had to comply. They were told to do the same with Presidents Shield, but managed to convince them that it would not be a good idea. Quote: "Australian Sports Commission also wished to adopt this same structure for President's Shield but we argued against this and received a concession for the junior event only."

According to Peter, NZ will be invited for as long as they wish to attend, and it is his intention to invite NQ as long as the Board approve. TBA don't seem to be at fault here, as they cannot afford to chuck away a quarter of a million a year in funding, so we just have to hope that NQ can backdoor into the tournament. In the meantime, it is probably worth exploring some alternative roll off/selection/training options in case we don't get the nod.

Back
Top Bottom