Motiv Motiv Thrash Review

CT

Recently I purchased Motiv Bowlings latest release, the Thrash. As per usual, ball was supplied and drilled by Mr Doust at Bowlers Edge.

According to Motiv, this ball is for medium oil and is designed to help blend out the over/under reactions that are seen on fresh lane conditions.

So off to AMF Belconnen for a first test late on a Sunday evening, lanes carried down from social play all day. The Thrash had a tendency to go early and die on the backend when I tried where I thought it would work. A move inside to left of 4th arrow and the Thrash was right at home, covering a huge amount of territory in an extremely strong and continuous motion. Carry with this ball is exceptional, and I’d go as far as to say it is on a par with the Raptor (best carrying ball I’ve ever thrown). Difference is where the Raptor does it best work right of the 3rd arrow, the Thrash is exceptional inside. After this session I had the ball smoothed out with a 4000 abralon surface.

A week later and I was able to get on the fresh house shot, a modified version of easy street with a fair bit added to the middle of the lane. The Thrash was just too much ball on the fresh, as the lane pattern just isn't long enough for a cover this aggressive. 3 games in (bowling on my own on a pair) and I was able to get the Thrash out and really start knocking the pins silly. This ball does its best work when it is rolled with a straighter hand as any sort of side tilt led to over reaction (a characteristic of Belconnen). I was able to consistently send scouts across the lane from inside the 3rd arrow. Its move was very strong and defined but predictable and made the pattern look extremely easy.

I will post an update when I get a chance to bowl it on something a little more challenging.

I would recommend this ball to any players that like to throw the ball straightish, between 2nd and 3rd arrow on their standard house shot. You will be amazed at the hitting power this ball has in the pocket. It is very forgiving when missed right into the friction of a THS. The cover responds well to tweaking, as well as changes in hand position. For those bowlers with higher speed or lower revolutions, this ball is going to be a benchmark ball for league bowling.

For those familiar with other Motiv releases, the Thrash fits in below the SR2 but above the TZ3 and QZ2. So if you are looking for a solid coverstock that can handle a THS, the Thrash would be an attractive option.

Stay tuned for an update.

CT

Back
Top Bottom