Low Energy globes

Hey

Regarding low-energy, fluoro light globes.

I noticed an article in The Australian Financial Review Magazine (June 2009 edition, page 64) reported that these globes are not as eco-friendly as we have been led to believe because they contain four milligrams of highly toxic mercury.

The United States Environmental Protection Agency advises that if you break the globe then: you should open a window and leave the room, for 15 minutes; you must never vacuum or use bare hands to clean up fragments; if your clothes touch the waste directly, you should dispose of them; fragments should be contained in a sealable bag and not be disposed of as general waste (and instead, at a designated bulb recycling centre).

A bit worrying :(

I hit one with my head the other day and broke it ,got the crap all over me picked up the pieces and threw it in the bin maybe i will be dead next week. If i grow another head i will let you know.

ALL fluorescent globes/tubes contain mercury, not just the compacts. Just more scaremongering by the EPA.

if you are really worried, buy the halogen GLS shaped lamps. same old style shape but a halogen capsule instead of a filament. as far as compact fluorescents, dont believe everything you see or read. i have worked in the lighting game for over 10 years so i speak with a little experience. I have had heaps of broken lamps around me over the years and i am still breathing. if we were to not use lamps that contain harmful ingredients we would be living in the dark.

Back
Top Bottom