I See The Nats Are On.

jimcross

Looking through the categories, I find that I have no problem working out who can enter, say, "Senior Male Five Man Teams"' but I'm having a bit of a problem working out the eligibility for " Senior Female Five Man Teams". Anybody ?

I see in the news yesterday Jim that Teachers cant call children "Boys and Girls" anymore as it is too gender specific, but a suggested alternative is to call them "Hey Campers" or "Purple Penguins"... SO what you need to look for is the "Senior Purple Five Penguin Teams" division to ensure you are gender inclusive.

Hope this helps...

http://www.foxnews.com/opinion/2014...ct-says-drop-boys-and-girls-call-kids-purple/
Roy - funny isn't it? What a wierd artical...........There was a time ( probably Neolithic ) when people easily recognised insanity in those around them. Today they attract a following. Reminds me of " All the world is mad, bar thee and me. And there are times when I have doubts of thee."
Jim

From dictionary.com: "man"
a member of the species Homo sapiens or all the members of this species collectively, without regard to sex:
prehistoric man.
the human individual as representing the species, without reference to sex; the human race; humankind:
Man hopes for peace, but prepares for war.
a human being; person:
to give a man a chance; When the audience smelled the smoke, it was every man for himself.
Usage note:
The use of man 1to mean “human being,” both alone and in compounds such as mankind, has met with objection in recent years, and the use is declining. The objection is based on the idea that man is most commonly used as an exclusive, sex-marked noun meaning “male human being.” Critics of the use of man as a generic maintain that it is sometimes ambiguous when the wider sense is intended ( Man has built magnificent civilizations in the desert), but more often flatly discriminatory in that it slights or ignores the membership of women in the human race: The man in the street wants peace, not war.
Although some editors and writers reject or disregard these objections to man as a generic, many now choose instead to use such terms as human being (s), human race, humankind, people, or, when called for by style or context, women and men or men and women. See also -man, -person, -woman.

British dictionary notes that this usage is "archaic". In the Macquarie (3rd edition), the generic meaning is the first definition.
Under the word origin notes at dictionary,com
n.
Old English man, mann "human being, person (male or female); brave man, hero; servant, vassal," from Proto-Germanic *manwaz (cf. Old Saxon, Swedish, Dutch, Old High German man, German Mann, Old Norse maðr, Danish mand, Gothic manna "man"), from PIE root *man- (1) "man" (cf. Sanskrit manuh, Avestan manu-, Old Church Slavonic mozi, Russian muzh "man, male").

Sense of "adult male" is late (c.1000); Old English used wer and wif to distinguish the sexes, but wer began to disappear late 13c. and was replaced by man. Universal sense of the word remains in mankind and manslaughter. Similarly, Latin had homo "human being" and vir "adult male human being," but they merged in Vulgar Latin, with homo extended to both senses. A like evolution took place in Slavic languages, and in some of them the word has narrowed to mean "husband." PIE had two stems: *uiHro "freeman" (cf. Sanskrit vira-, Lithuanian vyras, Latin vir, Old Irish fer, Gothic wair) and *hner "man," a title more of honor than *uiHro (cf. Sanskrit nar-, Armenian ayr, Welsh ner, Greek aner).

Man also was in Old English as an indefinite pronoun, "one, people, they." The chess pieces so called from c.1400. As an interjection of surprise or emphasis, first recorded c.1400, but especially popular from early 20c. Man-about-town is from 1734; the Man "the boss" is from 1918. To be man or mouse "be brave or be timid" is from 1540s. Men's Liberation first attested 1970.
Another case of being too sensitive in the modern age!
(*) quotes are extracts - see website for full details

"child"? "children"? "rugrats"? "pet humans"? "jack and jill" who are free to choose their own gender when they come of age? In the modern world of non-stereotyping, non-specific, non-labelling "free speech" the possibilities are endless as long as it does not breach 18C of the RDA! ;)

On the subject of Nats, congrats to the winners in the Restricted squads, Cup and Challenge. The venue is good and I particularly recommend the lasagne!

Back
Top Bottom