Help Needed Please!!

bm2

I'm still standin'
Was just wondering if any of the local Canberra bowlers could possibly advise if there was an airport shuttle service between the airport (obviously!) and Tuggeranong - I have googled, and gotten plenty of hire car options, but that is not what I am after....wanna get on a bus, get driven to my destination and then get offa da bus!!

Any links or info would be very much appreciated!:D

thanks in advance

There is a bus from the airport to the Civic & Woden.

Check out the ACTION website and follow the links: www.action.act.gov.au. 'Routes/Timetables', 'Routes by Suburb' Select Airport. This will give you a link to the 'Airliner' timetable. At the bottom there is a choice of A1 (to Civic) and A2 (to Woden). The A1 runs all week, and the A2 only Mon - Fri.

On the same website there is also the buses to Tuggeranong.

The Tuggeranong interchange is just near the bowl.

Happy travelling

Sue:)

Hi all,

Just a word of warning about the taxi service in Canberra at peak hour...... THERE ISN'T ONE!

I was in Canberra for meetings last month for a few days and found it extremely difficult (nigh impossible) to get a taxi in the busy time, even when ordered hours before, they just never turned up.

The difficult times are between 8-9am and 5-6pm.

Good luck.

That's because they're all at the airport or the government department centres. *d'uh* :p

Unfortunately (for you) Sue is spot on, you need to take the Airliner to Civic, then hop any 300 series bus heading south for Tuggeranong. The bowl in Tuggeranong is next to the interchange, and the Country Comfort in Tuggeranong is the next block west.

The taxi service in Canberra certainly isn't what it used to be, but the peak hour problems, you will find are largely as a result of the really crappy traffic arrangements as a result of the roads at the moment. Taxi drivers simply cant make a round trip to and from the airport in the same time as they used to be able to do before the infrasructure at the airport came on the scene. The roads are being improved and once they are, the problems will reduce.

You could arrange your flights to arrive outside of peak times (i.e through the middle of the day, or later in the evening) or otherwise, everyone here is right, it is only Deanes buses that run a shuttle service from the airport.

If you don't feel like using the taxi's it has ben reliably reported to me that a hire car is only about $5.00 (on average) more than a taxi. Not only that, you will have a guy wearing a suit with your name on a board waiting for you.

There are a few companies around that you should be able to find on the web for booking in advance.

thanks for your help guys.....may be that the guy in the suit holding our names will be the way to go...don't fancy getting on one bus with luggage and bowling balls to have to then get off it and get on another one :p

appreciated your input

Broni

Hi Broni,

I know how you feel about having to get on and off buses with all that luggage. I have done a bit of very quick research for the price comparisons of taxi's vs hire cars etc.

There will be pros and cons for all options, and I also want to check to make usre the small price difference for a hire car isn't because our workplace gets corporate rates for their hire cars.

To start with, if you were to risk getting a cab, the following fare estimation information was generated from the Canberra Cabs website (http://www.canberracabs.com.au/)

From Canberra to Tuggeranong
Rate 1 (6am-9pm M-F excl. public holidays) - $44.54
Rate 2 (all other times) - $50.62
Airport to Tuggeranong, Approx 25.34 kms

If your flight arrives outside of peak times, the wait for a cab is rarely too bad, but as stated before, it can also be erratic and unpredictable.

I will post further details on hire car costs so that you can make a reasonably educated decision.

Hi Broni

I have just spoken to Deanes Buslines (02 6299 3722) http://www.airliner.com.au/timetableA1.html
Most of the buses from the airport have just one step to get up into the bus. There is luggage space under the bus so you don't have to lug it on & off. From the above link, you can also get the A2 - Airport - Woden timetable.

The ACTION buses are a different animal altogether. Most of the Intertown routes have 'disabled access' or 'kneeling buses' (the same as the Airliner ones). http://www.action.act.gov.au/2006NewRoutes/Route_Intertown.pdf
There is very little storage on these buses.

I would suggest you arrive on Friday pm, and leave Monday am as there is more frequent buses from the airport to either Civic or Woden.

Sue:)

Back
Top Bottom