George Frilingos - World Cup blog

GeorgeF

Hypercell = Hyperhook!
Just thought I would post some regular updates for the site for all the TB members.

Official practice:

Still recovering from jet lag I went straight to the bowl when I landed and drilled up some new gear (thanks Glen and Mike for organising this). I used them for the first time during practice and had to make some immediate surface adjustments :D The left and right do play noticeably different. The left does not have the bounce of the right however does not change so the consistency aspect evens it out for everyone.

The breakpoint is around 7-10 on the left, on some pairs I am playing up the boards, other pairs I'm pointing it up and staying behind the ball. By coincidence, this is exactley the same sort of shot I played at the SPC to be here.

The 32 lane centre plays different from end to the other, the top end is tight as hell. The righties are bouncing it off a wall around 7 (most girls are playing here also) but the oil moves real fast here and there is not that much volume in the front of the lane so having some speed helps. I think considering the oiling machine they are using they have got the pattern right.

Day 1:

I got off to a good start, strike, spare, open, sheet for a 254. The backends were certainly bigger than in practise, this was good for me as it allowed me to keep my speed up and stay aggressive with the release. As I moved down the lower end of the house I did move a fracion further left but overall it was exactley the same allowing me to post scores of 254, 202, 227 and 221. All things looked great until I hit 27&28. I knew they were going to be tighter but I got a mis-read when I just happen to strike on my first ball. The ball just wouldn't read the lane and I left 2 splits (spared one of them) before I moved to wear I was suppose to be. I finished well but got raped by a few solid 10 and 7 pins to finish with 177. I know tomorrow I will not make this mistake. Last game was similar to the previous pair and I was able to finish strong for a 235. 1315 for day 1 and equal 6th. I didn't miss a spare and left only about 3 frames open (splits). Other lefties are too deep if you ask me, but I'm not about to go tell them where to move :D

I feel good about the upcoming days, as most people know playing the edge and up the boards is my specialty. I'm hoping the backends get bigger over the next few days which will really help me even more. I'm using a Track Uprising drilled with the PIN above my fingers, Mass Bias to the left of my thumb, no balance hole and sanded down to 1000 abralon. This reaction is smooth off the breakpoint which is perfect for playing the edge.

Start bowling in 4 hours for day 2, I"ll keep you posted! Thanks for the well wishes, they are certainly appreciated by Ann Marie and myself.

PS Ann Marie got very unlucky with some breaks yesterday, expect a big turn around today!

Keep bowling well George & AMP, trust your instincts and above all else have a good time

Back
Top Bottom