Ebonite Excel Cracked

Jase

Admin
Staff member
I know the pictures aren’t real clear but has anyone seen a ball cracked this bad…

Would this be a warranty claim…This ball has had about 30-50 Games and on its first drilling with a pitch plug once!!

Never seen a ball in the flesh cracked from the ring finger right the way round to the thumb slug…

1176777618.jpg

1176777720.jpg

1176777745.jpg

1176777679.jpg

I think it's throw away

Technically voided warranty, due to plugging and grips.

It is obviously a blem from factory though, and should be replaced. If it isn't I would be contacting the Ebo distributors at national then international level until it was.

I've seen that on only 2 other balls in my lifetime. An original rule, and a triton heat.

On edit, there is also a ball down at mentone cracked like that while sitting on the shelf, but I can't remember what it was...

I have an old Killer Instinct Sanded (my high game (298 ) and series (787) ball), which cracked from the pin, right around the ball to almost the the pin again, and also a crack from the thumb to the pin (I think).

It was sitting on a ball rack in a room inside my house when it cracked.. the cracks have got bigger the longer it's sat there.

Never had a problem like that with any other ball though..

I have Sharp Blad sitting in my room 300 ball and it cracked from finger around the ball to the other finger whole but lucky i don't use it anymore. and i've seen a ball at Center that has had 1 whole drilled and has cracked right around the ball.

Yes I have a Ebonite Timax III at home and it cracked exzactly the same. I guess it comes from poor resin and urethane company's use in there balls. Sometimes there bound to crack. Track balls I used to get, almost always cracked around the fingers.

Got nothing to do with the quality of resins... Has more to do with the molecular bonding during the chemical setting (lasts around 30 seconds after being poured)

The relationship the core/filler/resin has with each other can also affect balls durability, and as such, was the reason for the Epoxy failure, and the original paradigm cracking issues.

Jasons issue is IMO a combination of the first issue and could also be due to heat-cooling over a dormant period.

My speed zone cracked from the fingers right around to the thumb and also had a crush/r do the same thing, wasnt to happy at the time cause they were both awesome balls - shame ya cant get them anymore..

I have had two Ebonite balls cracked.

One, a V2 Sweet was due to using quick plug as i was short on time, it just got some minor hairline cracks around the finger holes that you almost couldnt see (just had it fixed).
The other was an Ebonite Magnum 10 urethane ball which developed 5 larger cracks....but it was about 12 years old. I donated it to the centre for practice drilling.

I remember seeing Joel Lovegroves EPX T1 last year. It was cracked all they way round, and the section had actually come away.

I think the ball is floating around EFL.....

maybe Joe might be able to put a picture up, if they still have it

I have a ball sitting in the proshop down here showing why I won't use Loc-Tite superglue to put thumb slugs in.

If I remember my camera, I'll "blow you out".... litterally.

My Ebonite Excel cracked between the finger holes after sitting on the floor of the pro shop for quite some considerable amount of time.
It wasn't a ball that I really wanted in any case, but I was kind of surprised with how this gap just opened up in it.

i remember seeing a person buyin a brand new columbia ego and got it drilled after he had it a week he through it down the lane during a pre-bowl first ball and cracked all round and then he got a replacement a few weeks later

Enjoy the pics...

It's a "blow out" that will "crack" you up, and make your eyes "pop" out ;)

Attachments

• Heat1.jpg
    Heat1.jpg
    116.6 KB · Views: 37
  • Heat2.jpg
    Heat2.jpg
    90.3 KB · Views: 38
  • Heat3.jpg
    Heat3.jpg
    114.4 KB · Views: 35
  • Heat4.jpg
    Heat4.jpg
    121.5 KB · Views: 34
Ive been using loc tite super glue for thumb slugs / inserts for years without any drama's, although i did get caught out once when the glue set to quickly resulting in the slug being stuck half way down oopps lol. androooo - I did notice that the thumb hole looked as though it had not been bevelled slighty before the slug had been inserted in the Heat, taking the edge off will reduce the chance of cracking regardless of which super glue you use. Thats what i was taught anyway....

Back
Top Bottom