Drilling Instructions/Layouts for discontinued balls

Zoidberg

I just started bowling again after a 6 year break. I was given a 4 used balls by a generous coach the other day who wanted me to save money and use balls with better technology (I was used to bowling with an Ebonite Gyro Pro and a AMF Strikeline). It's difficult trying to find layouts for these balls:

1) Track Hex Darkside

2) Columbia 300 Beast Pearl

3) Lane #1 Tsunami H2O

4) Storm Erase-iT PBT

Anybody got any ideas?

Find a pro-shop operator who understands how to layout pins to your positive axis point (PAP). The laws of physics do not change from ball to ball, but most of those layout sheets talk about where the pin is in relation to the finger holes. That would work if everyone had the same track diameter and positive axis point. Unfortunately, those diagrams aren't blueprints and axis points are more like fingerprints. That is, the diagrams are approximate and your axis point is exact and almost unique. I know very few people with the same PAP coordinates.

You can Google a bunch of layout mud maps and they'll give you some ideas, but find someone who will do the job properly. They are worth a bit extra as you'll be investing in and using that gear for a long time if it's good, but getting rid of it and losing money if it's not.

Consider getting the balls resurfaced. Particle balls should be finished with Abralon as silicon carbide paper will smooth out the particles and negate their effect. This makes a big difference to old gear, especially if it's oil soaked, in which case it could do with an oil removal procedure. A restriction in laying the ball out is where the plugging will lie as you don't want to track over it.

Hope this helps,
Jason

Back
Top Bottom