Dexter Tournament of Champions Results

jedi_bowler

Is the Force with you?
Barnes Bounces Back
UNCASVILLE, Conn. - April 9, 2006

An up-and-down season for Chris Barnes couldn’t have ended on a higher note.

Barnes won his second career Denny’s PBA Tour Major title, defeating defending champion Steve Jaros, 234-227, in the title match of the 2006 Dexter Tournament of Champions Sunday at Mohegan Sun Arena.

Barnes, who withdrew from five events early in the season with a back injury and was in danger of not winning a title for the first time since 1998, won $100,000 for his seventh career title.

“My belief in everything turning out holds true,” said Barnes, who came in having lost 12 of his last 13 matches on TV. “There was an opportunity for it to go the other way. I bowled a good game but sometimes it seems like the way my luck goes, the other guys just bowl a little better. He had a chance and I thought I was going to have to strike out, but I was fortunate he gave me an extra miss.”

After starting the match with a strike, Barnes left a 6-7 split and opened in the 2nd frame, but he responded with six consecutive strikes to take the lead. After Barnes’ run ended with a spare, Jaros – working on three straight strikes – could have pulled even with a strike, but he spared in the 9th, then struck and spared in his 10th frame. Barnes then picked up a spare and knocked down eight pins in the 10th to win.

Barnes advanced to the title match with a 255-191 win over Amleto Monacelli. Barnes was perfect through the first seven frames, but his bid for a 300 game ended when he left a 10-pin in the 8th frame. Monacelli, who was trying to become the oldest bowler to win a Tournament of Champions, never got on track.

Jaros defeated Tommy Jones, 247-233, in the first semifinal. Jones led early after Jaros had back-to-back spares in the 3rd and 4th frames, but Jones opened in his 4th frame after a 4-7-10 split. Jaros took advantage with five consecutive strikes and his spare in the 10th frame shut Jones out.

Jaros took home $30,000 for 2nd, while Jones and Monacelli earned $10,000 apiece for the 3rd and 4th place finishes, respectively.

The Tournament of Champions offers a two-season exemption on the Denny’s PBA Tour, but Barnes was already exempt through 2007-08 due to his U.S. Open win last season.

The 2006 Dexter Tournament of Champions concludes the 2005-06 Denny’s PBA Tour season. Next week, six bowlers will compete in a special event, the “Motel 6 Roll to Riches” which features a winner-take-all $200,000 prize. The event is comprised of the four Major winners from the 2005-06 season (Barnes, Mike Scroggins, Jones and Walter Ray Williams Jr.) as well as two PBA stars chosen by the fans via an on-line vote (Pete Weber and Norm Duke).

Denny’s PBA Tour
2006 Dexter Tournament of Champions
Mohegan Sun Arena
Uncasville, Conn.
Sunday, April 9

CHAMPIONSHIP ROUND

Pos. Name, Hometown Total/Games Money
1. Chris Barnes, Flower Mound, Texas 489 (2 games) $100,000
2. Steve Jaros, Yorkville, Ill. 474 (2 games) $30,000
3. Tommy Jones, Simpsonville, S.C. 233 (1 game) $10,000
4. Amleto Monacelli, Barquisimeto, Venezuela 191 (1 game) $10,000

SCORES – In the semifinals, Jaros def. Jones, 247-233, and Barnes def. Monacelli, 255-191; and in the final, Barnes def. Jaros, 234-227.

This is Chris Barnes’ seventh career Denny’s PBA Tour title and his second career Major.

Info from www.pba.com

Frosty:rolleyes:

Back
Top Bottom