Columbia 300 Columbia Scout 'Reactive' ball

D

Damage_Inc

Hi,
Shortly I will be getting a Columbia Scout 'Reactive' ball...(depends on how long it takes from the centre ;) I would like to start learning on how to hook the ball and have been told by a few people that this is a good 'beginners' ball...Would any of you guys/girls have any feedback on it...
Thanks and cheers,
Sam
P.S!!!
WWW.HASSELHOFFTOUR.COM
BRING THE HOFF DOWN UNDER!!! :D :D :D

Damage_Inc said:
Hi,
Shortly I will be getting a Columbia Scout 'Reactive' ball...(depends on how long it takes from the centre ;) I would like to start learning on how to hook the ball and have been told by a few people that this is a good 'beginners' ball...Would any of you guys/girls have any feedback on it...
Thanks and cheers,
Sam
P.S!!!
WWW.HASSELHOFFTOUR.COM
BRING THE HOFF DOWN UNDER!!! :D :D :D

Its a Good Ball for beginners, i have one, and its a great ball in between a spare ball and a high performance ball, its hook is 120 out of 300 which is ok, considering grooves are only 70-105 depending on the urethane, proactive or reactive ball

My mother has had one for a month or so, just gone fingertip. It seems quite useful on the conditions we've bowled on so far (ranging from toast to mediumish), though she does throw her 11lb at about 15km/h :)

eboignite said:
considering grooves are only 70-105 depending on the urethane, proactive or reactive ball

lol my power groove reactive is my spare ball now except the 10 pin lol, i have seen a couple of scouts being rolled, there r awesome balls, needs to b low speed tho

I've found my scout to be very poor for hooking

The only time I can get it to hook is on a medium oil going coast to coast with my thumb out

on a wet lane forget it it just slips straight off the lane no grip at all

however if i bowl striaght and slow using hand shake it seems to stay on target as long as i'm consistant with my swing.

This ball has consistancy problems because of the ever changing lane conditions.

This ball was a bad choice for me

and i've had conflicting advice from pro shops
the seller telling me it was a good beginners ball for hooking and another saying that

if i want coast to coast the scout was the wrong choice and that I would need to spend much more on a ball for that style.

they are both right the ball really isn't meant for coast to coast unless you are high rev low speed and have the right lane conditions for it as it is a dry lane ball check the columbia's website. for a beginner it is a very good ball as it is consistant and jump off the lanes if they make a mistake

Seeing how so few houses actually put oil outside 10 these days, move right with everything and see what happens.

Not sure if this is the right place to ask but since the scout is a dry lane ball. What can i do to make it better for wet conditions?
I've heard they can be scratched up with abit of scotch brite but i'm not sure how to go about doing that!! I dont want to wreck the ball!!!

I purchased another Scout for when the lanes are dry, and as Jason said alot of houses dont lay much oil outside 10 board so this ball is perfect for those situations...

This ball is a good purchase for someone wanting to learn to hook the ball as it is very controllable and will allow you to "learn" to bowl as opposed to watching something hook without working on your game and improving your skill level...

My advice would be to use another ball which is designed for wetter lanes... And ask bowlers in your centre for their advice on equipment may be right for you.

G'Day,

I am only back in bowling for a few weeks. I bought a Blue and White Scout as a ball to see how I go. These reactive balls are great value for money.

Where I bowl, I would consider the lanes to be about medium oil. Shinny, I can make the ball go straight for spares or hook around 15 board in the back end. Even more if I come around the ball with a little less speed down the lane.

What I have noticed is that the ball starts to skid a long way down the lane by the end of the second game. Knocking the shine off the ball makes it last a little longer.

The ball needs to be cleaned after each weeks league, the amount of oil it picks up is amazing. I guess that is an entry level ball.

But a great starting point..

John Velo

I own this ball aswell. Columbia balls are usually 'beginners' for the league and tournaments in terms of hooking.

I have changed from shiny/dull to very dull now by using hand scraper. It is very good change as you noticed the hooking is doing it more than shiny balls.

I was originally looking at this ball, but was pointed towards the Columbia Freeze instead.

Have a look a the freeze it is a great ball from my experience

G'day,

The Freeze is a step up from the Scout.

I don't use the Scout now until my others break right down.

It is worth looking at a few obsolete models. I have a Columbia Momentum Swing. Had it three weeks drill for a strong arc. Hits hard and consistent. I was sold on the ball after watching Stephen Cowland bowl 750 odd in league with one a few week in a row.

I also have a Columbia Complete Bedlam drilled for skid/flip layout. Hits hard but a little harder to control on the regular shot for me.

Between the three, one of them will pick up the shot ok.

I guess if you are accurate enough, which I am not, even a house ball would work thrown straight and hard enough.

Back
Top Bottom