Challenges of Tenpin Bowling

This was posted on my Facebook which I thought was pretty cool.....

Attachments

• Tenpin Bowling challenges.pdf
    190.3 KB · Views: 100
Hi Annette,

Im not sure some of the content of that file is relevant anymore, for example this is no longer true...

"A bowler must deliver every ball within four-tenths of an inch of a selected mark in order to reach a target which is 60 feet away and
only one and six-tenths inches wide."

Maybe the real phrase should be something like "A bowler must buy a new ball and deliver every ball onto the lane without going in the gutter to reach the target 60 feet away" ;)

Ok, I am going to pipe in here.

Rob Shockley has a Youtube video on the accuracy of a modern bowler based on average.

The Typical House Shot bowlers have the side of a barn to shoot at, tournament bowlers don't. From memory he talks about Walter Ray, how in the Kegal training center that have measured WRW found that he misses less than a 1/2 board either side of his target over an entire training session. 1/2 a board!!!!

So, for tournament play accuracy is still king from striking to sparing.

I am a very inaccurate bowler and it shows in my tournament average. Fix the accuracy and all of sudden making the cut is possible with out much else changing. Why, because I will be holding the pocket regardless of my strike rate and sparing everything in site not giving up 200 pins a block.

So for me Annette, it still holds true regardless of the ball used.

Funny thing. Well probably not really funny in the simple sense of the word............BUT.......It's almost impossible to raise any subject to do with the actual act of bowling, without the discussion turning to equipment. Imagine if any discussion about tennis always centered around the racquet or ball. Or cricket - or the ball in AFL and soccer, or even the little missiles in darts.!!??

I'm still very low on my climb back up the bowling ladder (105 avg / 103 hcp) and my biggest issue still is accuracy and consistency. Once I get a handle on that, hopefully I'll keep climbing :)

Two years bowling now and I am only just getting to be reasonably consistent with an average of 148, been an interesting journey of highs (well not so many) and lows. I must say that I am happier with consistency as it tells me I must be doing something right..!!!

Jim, your not listening, they do talk about the Larger Racquet Head in Tennis and the extra power and bigger sweet spot they have compared to yesteryear, the Cricket Bats do not have to be hit in anymore they are thicker and the Ball can be hit a lot further these day's, as for those Darts, I used to play a lot in the 70's, but the Darts of today you could actually put 6 Darts in the treble 20 they are so thin, not possible in the 70's, they are so accurate as well, Rugby League Balls are synthetic now, when they were Leather they were like a Cake of Soap when they got wet, and even the kicking Tee's are an improvement.

Everything in every Sport has improved, the only People knocking Tenpin Bowling are Tenpin Bowlers, the rest of the World does not know or care.

willey

When I posted this document it was because that in a sport I have come to love, it astounded me that there are so many variables and technicalities to take into consideration, which I enjoy the challenge of. By reading these posts I can also add the challenges of the different equipment we use. My intention was not to intice any type of debate or disrespect to what other bowlers think.

Bowling is a sport that I can participate in regardless of my ability or lack thereof, lol, and one that constitantly challenges me to get better at.

When I posted this document it was because that in a sport I have come to love, it astounded me that there are so many variables and technicalities to take into consideration, which I enjoy the challenge of. By reading these posts I can also add the challenges of the different equipment we use. My intention was not to intice any type of debate or disrespect to what other bowlers think.

Bowling is a sport that I can participate in regardless of my ability or lack thereof, lol, and one that constitantly challenges me to get better at.
Yes it is a good post and has had some interesting responses, not least of which was the reference to balance and timing.

Back
Top Bottom