Canberra Seniors Cup--The end results

Ray Krueger

Ray Krueger
G'day All;
I am realy interested as to what other bowlers thoughts are on the running of the Cup ???????
As far as I am concerned:
It was the worse run tournament that I have competted in my entire life.
Ray

Seniors Cup

As a spectator I thought the event looked like quite a good one. Obviously the lanes were challenging but that is not allot to do with the tournament organisers more following the National Ranking guidelines and the scores generally went up on the second day when the players settled in.

Only thing I could see that detracted a little bit was some very small squads on Friday night and early Saturday morning.
Perhaps some different recruiting for the tournament will take place next year. As an outsider it looked to me like the competitors on the whole had a good time and the tournament was run smoothly and on time.

Ray maybe from a bowlers perspective you can offer some constructive comments on why you believe the tournament was a dud and how it can be improved. The organisers and proprietors always like to know how they can improve but only when advice is offered in the right way.

Take it easy.

Drew

Seniors Cup

As far as I am concerned there was no problem. Maybe a little late getting started with the last qualifying squad, but that was no real issue. There was some issue with the ladies start time on Sunday, but I believe that has been taken aboard for next year.

The lanes were "Challenging"........ but at least consistent. I found the lanes played very similar on both days. Finding a line was no problem and I played the same line on each pair, without changing equipment. Certainly, if I missed my spot I got punished severely, as did everyone. But that was my doing, not the organisers.

The organisers did a pretty good job I think. I enjoyed the weekend and most to whom I spoke did the same. All going well, I will be back next year.

Harry

ACT Seniors Cup

Thanks to seniors of ACT who put this tournament together this year. I thought it all went quite well and everybody seemed happy enough on the day. The only "item of discussion" was the matter of the extra prize money generated from the additional entries, and whether the pay out should have been taken down further, instead of increasing the cash amounts to the advertised placings. Not everbody had the same opinion about this, however the committee made a ruling before the final playoffs and stuck to the decision which I think is admirable. There were only 2 real problems for me - the heat which is out of the hands of the committee, and the announcements on the microphone which were a bit unclear, however the cool dude in the suit turned up the volume once this had been pointed out. :roll:

One question I have though - are all the seniors tournaments going to be the same format? (8 games to qualify then matchplay?) can we have another format, ie 16 games, no matchplay with a step ladder final? :roll:

I am getting frustrated at the trash that centres are putting
down for tournaments and when asked why it is so trashy,
they just reply " well that`s what TBA want ", and Canberra
was no different - it was inconsistant trash, and you only had to look at the complete turnaround of the field from
qualifying to matchplay to tell that once again the condition
had been changed in the middle of a tournament.
For the tournament committe to allow this ( and I did overhear
the tournament director on Saturday afternoon say to a group
of bowlers that the condition wasn`t done correctly and
would be fixed for matchplay ) and the centre to do it is
quite reprehensible.
In answer to all the centres that wish to serve trash to
tournament bowlers - THIS IS NOT WHAT TBA WANT.
TBA have set guidelines for lane conditioning, and these
guidelines leave quite a bit of leeway for putting down - trash,
fair, good, or over the top conditions, and I think it is up to
the bowling centre proprieters and techs to become more
knowledgable with todays technology in lane oil and
conditioning - if some of the proprieters are prepared to do it -
why can`t it be right across the whole industry, after all
they expect us as bowlers to purchase the latest and
greatest in ball techno;ogy from their Pro-shops, and for what,
to bowl on a condition that has been put down day after day
for the last 20 years. Is that called progress - I think not.
This post is my personal feelings, and has no bearings whatsoever on any of my associates or affiliates.
ANIMAL -Lawrie Hill

I dont know who IT'S ME is, but I will now try objectively to elaborate in a point by point way.
Some people seam to think that running a tournament is only done by counter staff and tournament officials. In my opinion this includes lane preparation in regard to ensuring that everthing is ready CLEAN,CORRECT, TEMPERATURE & FAIR OILING PATTERN.
None of which as I saw it was done.
If the centre wishes honest feed back I have tried to give my opinion, or the manager should talk to the more experianced bowler of the tournament. I did and the feedback that I got was not printable. [ 1 bowler made the card in the eliminations, out of 78. do those this not say something. Another point of interest was the top qualifiers ended on the bottom and the fast strong bowlers ended up winning ].
IT MAYBE THAT I AM GETTING OLD [ that is why i am whinging so much lately ] BUT I FEEL THAT I HAVE SOMETHING TO CONTRIBUTE AND I WOULD LIKE EVERY BODY TO GET A FAIR SHAKE.
My wish is not to offend but to have thing right for next year.
Ray

Not only does TBA not want the centres dishing up trash, the bowlers don't want it either :x !!!!

Broni 8)

Ray
I Agree with you.

It is high time that the centres stop giving us "trash", but to say this is wrong. We as bowlers allowed it to happen.

In future when a tournament is run, the conditions for that tournament must be spelled out to the centre. if they do not wish agree to the terms, then the tournament is taken to a centre that will.
thing you'll find that if this is done and the bowlers stop being given what the centre dishes up, you'll have centres bending over backwards trying to give you the best conditions they can.
The centre that gives the best conditions will be used time and time again, the others, well they had their chance.

regards

RK

Its seems that you are really bitching about the lane conditons. I didn't bowl but having a look at the TBA website on the live scores would seem to indicate that the condition was OK as far as TBA was concerned.

Does that say something about the policy???

Canberra Seniors Cup

It was told last night that I accused the manager of Belconnen Bowl of speaking to me in a manner that was not printable.
My mail is for everyone to read I quote;
I DID AND THE FEED BACK I GOT WAS NOT PRINTABLE end quote.
I was also asked to say a few other things which I cannot as I did not say them in the first place.
I can say this;
The Manager of the Bowl tried hard to ensure everthing was right including at the mens warm up and at the ladies warm up moping sticky matter from the floor.
The lane conditions are nearly back to normal. Congratulations!!!!
Ray

ATBSO Canberra Cup 2004

Hi Ray,
I think the organisers made a mistake in not paying further down, rather than increasing the prize money to those in the cut.
This is the same type of mistake, that the ATBA made in the past ( which I feel may have been a contributuing factor in it's demise).
By paying further down the list, you encourage the bowlers who missed, to come back and try again, whereas, if you're going to load the top end all the time, and not give the others some incentive, then eventually, they won't come back, why should they, if they're not getting some return?
Here in Victoria, if there's extra entries, they're paying further down the list, which I think is admirable (and I'm not on the committee).

The other point I would like to make, was HOW MANY LEFTY'S MADE THE FINALS?
I know the lanes were tough, but with quite a few good quality Lefty's in the field, I feel that because of past results, there may have been a bit of tweeking of the oiling machine.

The last time I bowled there in 2001, the shot was completely different. Maybe the fact that I won the Senior's South Pacific there at Belconnen,has coloured my vision, but I feel the Lefty's weren't given an even break.

I knew that something was amiss when I looked at the qualifying score for the previous squads.

Unless the organising committee can guarantee more equitabe conditions, I feel that the list of entries ( especially interstate Lefty's) will be very thin.

Also, the fact that the cut was reduced to top 12, down from the previuos years 16, didn't help. With the increased entries, they could have increased the cut to top 14 ( 'cause I finished 14th didn't help). I just finished bowling in the Australian Open, and because the entries exceeded the organisers expectations, the cut was increased from top 16 to top 20. If they can do it, why can't the ACT organisers do it?

Finally, all that I ask for is give us Lefty's equal conditions, and let the talent shine through, be it on the Right or the Left.

Regards to all my friends in Canberra

Brien S

Canberra Seniors Cup

G'day Brien;
Good to see you did well in the Australien A.M.F. Cup.
In regards to your comments I agree 100% in everything you brought up. As I am not and have not been part of the Committee for 12 months I have no say as to what happens.
As you stated it is most important that the Tournament Director demands and gets the conditions that are appropriate.
I did see the oiling pattern and the left was totally diferent from the right.
No lefties made the cut, which was not surprising. [ we had the 2 current left handed australien rep's, but still non of the lefties could cope with the conditions ]
I hope to see you in Melbourne soon.

when qualifying is restricted to only 8 games, bowling a 137 game is not conducive to making the cut, regardless of what side of the lane you bowl on :-({|= .

Jagga (missed by 3 pins) Morgan 8)

Regarding qualifying.

I agree with a number of bowlers who say that 8 games is hardly enough.

If you've travelled thousands of k's like the WA & Qld bowlers, 8 games doesn't even allow you to work up a sweat.

O.K., so we're not 20 anymore, but give us at least 10, maybe even 12 games for our time and money invested.

If the organisers are worried about some of the older bowlers, who may not be able to play 10-12 games, then why not have a combined male/female qualifying, restricted to the 8 games, and they can compete in a separate section, not against the open bowlers.

Lefty from Brisbane suggested 16 games qualifying and then a stepladder instead of matchplay. That may be pushing it a little too much for some, so I feel that most everyone would be contented with 10 or 12(prefferable) games for qualifying.

There are a lot of bowlers, who are now retired, and would love to travel all over to each of the major Senior tournaments, and have a holiday , and catch up with friends. So why not make the tournaments more attractive by offering the prizemoney further down the list as well as a better shot at qualifying, maybe by allowing multiple entries as they do overseas.

Not only would this increase the prizefund, but I'm sure more bowlers would attend, thus increasing total attendance.

Would all state committees plase take note.

Brien S

Brien

I agree with most of what you say, but not really on the matter of qualifying, match play or step ladder. Lefty has it right with 16 games, but my suggestion is first past the post after 16 games without buggerising around with matchplay or that stupid step ladder thing.

8 games a day won't do most people much damage. Just bowl 16 games and the winner is.....

You are right about getting some bowling in for the cost of getting there. If it was for 2 games you would only have the locals. 4 games and maybe a few other centres might come along. 8 games and you are really "wasting" money (very expensive games for the distant traveller - see Broni's comment on a 137 game that we can all achieve now and then). 16 games and I would venture to say that there would be a greater number of distant travellers coming along. And with the extra entry fees, pay further down. That's how the Twin Tour and ATBSO circiuts operate up here and have a look at the numbers bowling.

Thanks for your good thoughts, I agree with most of them.

Cheers :lol:

Feral

Back
Top Bottom