Bowling bags on planes?

*Tarsha*

Just wondering if any one has any tips for flying with bowling bags with wheels, other than takeing the wheels off? Just because i have heard alot about people flying and when they get their bags off they find out that the wheels have been melted or destroyed, just wondering if any one has any tips??

I know quite a few people who fly with roller bags fairly regularly, apparently without any problems. However I would be interested to know if anyone has had bag damage as described above, and what can be done to prevent it.....

I havnt had any problems, but when a president shield team flys to nationals and the baggage handlers pick up all them bowling bags dont think there to happy by the end of getting to the last bowling bag they do tend to throw and be a litte annoyed

One of our member this year took tote bags for that reason he packed his bowling balls in boxers this is also better and cheeper way not paying any excess baggage and then when we got there he jus put his bowling balls into the tote bags

Cheers Scotty from (North queensland)

Cant say l have had any problems with my triple bags wheels, but l ahve changed over to tote bags, as the baggage handlers are little more gentle.

Had the handle broken on 2 triples, but no damage to the tote bags at all.

If you fly Virgin Blue, they allow each bag of spoting equipment to be classed as 5kg, regardless of the weight. You must advise them it is sporting equipment when checking in (have found a phone call a day prior is best as it is the listed on your booking, and they expect the heavy bags).

This allowance of 5kg per bag is great as it means you can get 3 to 4 bags on the plane and be under the 20kg limit provided.

I haven't had any problems at all flying with bags,
but i know a couple of people that have.

They had handles broken and the wheels were broken. think the best way
to prevent it is to use a tote bag, one of them have been using it for over two years now and not one problem.

tote bags are the way to go...

Phill

Flew to most Ranked events in the first half of the year and experienced no problems with my bowling bag at all. Currently have a two ball roller bag but previously flew many times with a four ball roller.

Here are a few things I recommend.

If you have a bag where the extendable handle can be hidden away as I do ensure it is hidden and only allow the normal straps to be visible for baggage handler use.

Always seperate four ball bowling bags and ensure the extendable handle is locked into its lowest point. Ensure all pockets are closed even if they are empty.

Never leave your bowling shoes in your bowling bag to go into the hold as there is a high chance of them becoming damaged. Take them in your carry on luggage.

Ensure you have a label with your contact details on each bowling bag you are taking. Had one experience of one piece of my luggage going to Geraldton instead of Melbourne when flying out of Perth. Make it as easy as possible for staff in case the worse happens.

Never leave skin patch or similar stuff in your bowling bag to go in the hold. This is against flight regulations. This stuff could spontaneously ignite in the hold. Buy new stuff when you arrive if you need it.

If you can get two ball totes use them instead as they are treated with more respect by luggage handlers in most cases because of the weight. They also like them because they are simple to pack in the hold.

Speaking of weight do not bother looking at flying Jetstar as what you save in airfares you will pay double that for luggage weight.

Fly Virgin Blue as they class all sporting equipment as weighing 5kg per item no matter what the weight. So as long as you are not taking more than six bowling balls you shouldn't be asked to pay for excess luggage. Ensure you tell the checkin person that they are bowling balls and you should be fine.

Jump on the net go to www.virginblue.com.au between 12 - 1 pm as this is happy hour on Mon - Fri. You may be able to get a discounted flight to your destination for the times you want to travel. Register for V-mail to get notified of sales before they become immediately known to the general public.

Hope this helps
Regards
Terry Silva

Forgot to add. If you are booking online remember to print out or receive your iteinery via email and then print it out to take with you to the Airport.

This is handy for airports where there are self check in terminals. As long as you have your reservation number you can use them to check in (even choosing where you sit on the plane) and you will receive your boarding pass. Then go to the special section to drop off your luggage. Yes you can have luggage and still use self check-in.

This is especially handy if you arrive to long lines at the airport. Remember though if you are arriving and the plane is already boarding go to the person who is finding out who is going where straight away as you may miss your flight. Don't be late next time.

Just another helpful hint. For around less than $50 you can obtain travel insurance through the RACV or maybe your credit card provider. This makes sense if you are going and plan to hire a car as the plans normally cover you for cost of the hire car excess if you happen to be unlucky and have an accident. Keep in mind though insurance does not cover for missing a plane because of tardiness.

I know I would rather pay $50 than $2000 out of my own pocket wouldn't you. It will also cover you in case you can't make your return flight if told by a doctor that you cannot fly at that time. Food for thought for those of you on budgets that couldn't immediately come up with emergency funds.

Regards
Terry Silva

a friend of mine flies sydney perth regularly on qantas and he puts his 3ball bag in a carboard box and dosent pay baggage fee, and he has never had damage. :cool:

Back
Top Bottom