Ball Problem

knght2794

Has anyone seen a ball that appears to be in good condition, but the pin has gone soft and appears to be slightly raised above the surface of the ball. It is soft enough that pressing on it with a finger nail leaves a mark and pieces of it can be knocked around by the equipment.

The ball is a couple of years old and hasn't been left in a car for any longer than it takes to get to a bowling centre.

Never leave your bowling equipment in your car, as car can one day be hotter than out side and colder than outside, which can affect the ball condition a lot

Never leave your bowling equipment in your car, as car can one day be hotter than out side and colder than outside, which can affect the ball condition a lot

The ball is only ever in the car when travelling and is not left there once at the bowling centre

The ball is a couple of years old and hasn't been left in a car for any longer than it takes to get to a bowling centre.

I wouldn't honestly dwell on the issue all that much. Given the fact you said the ball is a couple of years old, warranty replacement is no longer an option.

Just drill the pin out with the appropriate drill bit and colour plug replace it. A pin is only an indicator of core position, so drilling it out and replacing it won't effect performance.

Good luck.

Tonx is right. It's probably no big deal. It's just a matter of different materials exapanding and contracting at different rates over time.

You could drill and plug the pin or just have the pin cut flush in your next resurface. Should end up looking like new either way.

Ebonite ball? My predator went like that, and I have seen a couple of other ebonite balls of the same vintage that have done it.
Just cut it off flat with a stanley knife. As Tonx said, you can drill it out and plug it, but why would you bother?

Seen quite a few Ebonite and Hammer (Ebonite) balls do that.

Looks like it just gets soft and bubbles.

Cut it flat, or plug it... It won't hurt.

Thanks for the advice everyone.

It is an Ebonite ball....will probably cut it flat and see how it goes from there.

I'd never seen this happen before, but thought some of the great people on here would have an idea about it and I was right.

Back
Top Bottom