Bahrain 2003 Inernational Open - Feb17-Mar7

GeorgeF

Hypercell = Hyperhook!
Anyone interested in going can private message me. Entry forms and details can be found at www.bowling.com.bh

Quick summary of the event

Dates: Even though the entry form says Feb 17 to March 7, with 10 qualifying squads a day for the few final days arriving on the 2nd of March will give you plenty of time.

Entries: Expected 60-90, a few Internationals mainly locals and few Qatarians

Entry fee: With a couple qualifying attempts and finals your up for about $500 AUS

Prize Money: 1st $20000 US dollars - 8th place $1500 US - 16th place $1000 US. Car for a 300, daily high score awards also

Flights: Are available via Lorraine at travelworld for about $1580 return ex Brisbane flying Qantas and Gulf Air

Departure: Look at leaving Australia on the 1st of March with a 8th of March return

Accomodation: 4star staying at the official hotel for about $60 AUS per night (which could be split).

WAR: If war breaks out the event will be cancelled, until then it is definelty on. Travel insurance is recommended!!!

In summary about a $2500 trip. Last year the scores were extremely high! I would be surprised if that changed. It is a bit of a carry contest but hey, where isn't?

I have made a tentitive booking and I think my results from SA will decide my fate. Anyone interested??

George

MIDDLE EAST EVENTS

Good to see you're serious about going George it is a good event

Chatting to Frawls today and it looks that the Qatar Open has been delayed to the second week of June, therefore clashing with he Melbourne Cup, not that you could honestly compare the 2 events

Speaking to a few locals recently(Bahrani's) the centre has just dropped in Brand new pins and has changed the shot completely. lots more oil and tighten the shot up dramatically - but then again that is coming from them who are all so use to having such a wide open playing field and like you said playing in a carry fest.

Every chance though that could change back again for the event. The associaton make alot of money of this event and the usual rule of thumb is to have bowlers trying lots and most will only do so if there is a comfortable area.

All Arabs attend from Egypt, Kuwait, U.A.E., Saudi, Qataris plus some Europeans. The dramatic changes to this years evetn include the inclusion of a separate event for the Youth bowlers and the injection of more funds all round especially to the Ladies divsion with US$5000.00 first prize

Quite an enticing purse considering there were NO internaionals last year and only local Bahrainis and Filopinos bowled

Good luck to ya George if you go, the centre is quite kind to the left and you should do well there

Best of Luck to Frawls who is departing tomorrow morning to the states for the High Roller and US open

As I found out today you can't get travel insurance if war breaks out (by that I mean you can't cancel your ticket and get a refund). As a result Lorraine said any persons interested can delay there payment for the trip until the 27th of February (departure date 2nd of March).

I'm going, the generous tournament organisers are putting up some free accomodation as well :D. There's still time if your interested.

If not, the week after is the Storm Challenge in Manilla which is also worth $20000 US with a similar format. I'm sticking to Bahrain, anyone else want to travel to the middle east?

G

I believe this tournament has been postponed until further notice.

Your right Wilbert, I got this from www.bowlingdigital.com

The 2nd Kingdom of Bahrain Bowling Championship, scheduled for February 17 though March 6 is postponed till further notice. Jaffer Al-Gassab, Vice President of the Bahrain Bowling Association has informed us "that due to the current situation in the gulf area and the possibility that war breaks out, the Bahrain Bowling Association decided to postpone the tournament." The new date will be published here when it is set.

thanks for the info, no Bahrain for me :(

POSTPONEMENT

From my sources I here the Bahrain Federation is attempting to move the event next to the Qatar Open, which this year clashes with the Melbourne Cup(2nd wk of June).

Hopefully it will be after the Melbourne Cup and Not before, hate for 2 of Australias majors to be disturbed by hosting it prior(not that many would be going)

WOULD BE A GREAT DOUBLE TO GO TO big coin on offer

Just think bowl Perth Cup fly direct from there to Dubai then hop over to Doha then on to Manama :roll:

Update dates for the Bahrain Openif any one didn't catch it already on bowlingdigital.com.....

May 20th to June 6th.....

www.bowling.com.bh still lists the old dates...but I live here in Bahrain (US Navy stationed here)......the bowlingdigital dates are correct May 20th to Jun 6th...and the rules and schedule on www.bowling.com.bh are still correct.

Qatar Open dates are Jun 1st to 13th....travel between Bahrain and Qatar is cheap (about $100 US...so what's that about $200 AUS)

so Scoops...where are you, did you get my e-mail? Are you coming...you know you have a place to stay.

One more thing...it will not be as high scoring as last year....they have been running the test pattern for a while now thanks to the new Bahrain National Team Coach... Paul Piscany (South African).... it will not be the 240 average like last year...more like a 210 - 220 range.

Any questions let me know...

[email protected]

WISHING

Mate would love to be going but unfortunately no chance, going home that week and Melbourne for a week

Neat said that the shot was tightening up, much better, that house u can still score well, and with newer pins too i hear, even better again/ Hope they threw the last lot away wouldnt have been many they could have kept as spares

What u using at the moment, still buying one a month......lol :lol:

Still playing on Mondays and for Al Najma?
Still got 45 revs through the middle, canning racks left right and centre :?:

How's life been for u guys over there, been on curfews no doubt

Bet ur glad its all over

Well thx for the info Scottie and give my best to Sharon and keep the info coming, i know Frawls and Mack truck are going for both, George talking about it alot but i dont think 100% at this stage

All the best

Alan

Scoops

Frawls and I are going, that will be the only Australian contingent at this stage.

No more one a month.....going to be leaving in a few month, don't need all that gear...

currently have (using) - game pearl, freak, icon2, revmaster, top fuel, and the plastic tigger ball (revmaster and top fuel get the most use)

have but not in use - hex, screamR, EZ Money, EMB xf, Arc,

and waiting on Jerry to come back to drill up a Sonic X that was a gift from my parents for my B-day.

No not playing w/ Al Najma...long story, but basically Raed didn't tell me about Friday pricatices until a few weeks in, and then when I did show up the house screwed up and put down the house pattern so he used that as an excuse for not playing me on Sunday saying he couldn't make a decision without seeing me bowl on the thick long oil pattern first.....so now I am with Isa Town.....bowl Sunday for the first time, but I went and practiced with them Friday and averaged 220 on the heavy oil....made Raed's eyes get big with that awwww s*!t I should have let him play with Najma look......hehehe....

take it easy....tell your friends to look me up when they get here....will have to have a BBQ one day out at my place (and some beer from the base too of course).

Sharon is doing well.

Talk to you Later.

Back
Top Bottom