Why is Tournament Bowling no longer a big deal?

To the people that mentioned T.V coverage, this years 30th Melbourne Tenpin Cup had SportsVision do a video of the stepladder, the cost to us was $3500.00, and for anyone who has the opportunity to view it, it was sensational. We celebrated the event by making a video we can keep for prosperity, each of the stepladder finalists got a copy to keep, as well as each of the sponsors. The video is available in MPEG Format or VCR and can be purchased from Ed Fleming Lanes or Bowlers World. And just to let you know that the cost to the bowler was absolutely nothing, not bad for a tournament that cost $275.00, paid 1-2, gave incentives for women, juniors, seniors and locals and gave each competitor a medallion and free drinks and a spit roast. That's all thanks to the sponsors and businesses that supported us, we are now working on next years cup.

Regards,
Patrick Birtig

Patrick

Thx for the update on "peter" - I am certainly well out of touch. So Riley has "gone to the dogs" - this is a man with whom I shared a room at one FIQ many years ago in Hong Kong - after one particular agressive evening out on the tiles Riley slept [fully clothed] all night in the bath with the shower running on his head to ensure he woke up in good [reasonable] shape. Frankly this is not a cure I recommend - but it seemed to work for the "Animal". Great man - bowling's loss I'm afraid.

Allow me to endorse the tape you noted relevant to the MTC - as you know I have seen a few minutes of it - and frankly it is a great show...Steve Bell and Mike Rollo do a very good and unique job with it ..well worth getting a copy.

Finally, let's add to our agenda for discussion next month the VCBA and what we can do to help you, Ian and Alan and all your hard work. When I wrote my earlier summary I had not read your separaate email stream on the status of the ATBA/VCBA at this time. Having now done so I think it makes senses to see what we can do to help you with what is already in place - rather than reinvent the wheel.

Steve J

Steve,
I have a photo of Peter in a big bath which is interesting, I am holding it to show him next time I see him, there is a lot of hair on that chest (hence the name animal I suspect)

Regarding the ATBA, we believe we are on the right track with the efforts we have made in supporting minor tournaments, at some time in the not too distance future we will re-group and get organised again.

The demise of the ATBA in both South Australia & Victoria made a huge impact of support of many tournaments in Victoria and elsewhere and because of this many others from around the country also suffered. It is only now that I feel many other States are developing there Youth ranks and creating a good and steady steam of competitive bowlers around the country.

Unfortunetly the era we both knew is ended and we have a completely different group in now, the best we can do is nurture them, get them better and provide them with tournaments that they will enjoy.

But as always, any involvement or help from you Steve has always and will always be appreciated.

Look forward to seeing you soon.

Regards,
Patrick Birtig

Some ideas and comments

Some comments and ideas to kick around...

A common thread here seems to be along the lines of AMF not doing enough to get sponsorship for the tournaments. I have to ask, why should it be AMF, and only AMFs job? They are pumping a fair bit of cash into tournaments as it is, and at the end of the day their responsibility is to their shareholders to produce a profit. Perhaps we need to look at the feasability of establishing a tournament bowlers association with the job of hiring a management company to chase sponsorship for the tournament scene. 200 bowlers @ 50 buck each gives a $10,000 fund to start it off. If some sort of incentives to join in the form of discounts for cardholders could be arranged, so much the better. It should really be OUR job (the bowlers) to chase sponsorship.

Tournament entries as a whole are not down. The average number to each tourny is, because there are more tournys than ever tyring to attract bowlers. Centres run these events to make money, apart from anything else. So... how about introducing an 'amateur' entry for biggish scratch tournaments? Bowling fees plus a nominal amount toward a prize (not prizefund) for the leading amateur, encouragement awards etc. Amateurs would not be eligible to cash from the prizefund, but it would allow the 160-180 bracket to enter, gain experience, and start on the path toward becoming an open player. The centre gets more linage and cafe sales, allowing them to lower the game price and boost the prize fund a little, and everyone is happy. It should encourage more bowlers to make the transition in the long run. In a circuit such as the Qld and NSW GP's, the top am placegetters win a full spot to to the last GP/super 6, whatever.

With all due respect to Brenton, equipment price IS a factor to many bowlers. Maybe part of the prizefund could be paid out in equipment - if an equipment manufacturer could provide their new whizzbang ball at cost for the cut bowlers, for instance. 16th place could be a new ball worth $300 retail, instead of $200. 10th ball plus $x. This would represent a large increase in prizefund (on paper at least) and allow the manufacturers to showcase their ball across a bigger range than just the sponsored bowlers.

Top heavy prizefunds - well, most of the bowlers in a field are not there to win the tournament. Spread the cash around, and make it well worth while making the cut. I'd rather see $1000 for 16th and $1800 for first than $4000 for 1st and $500 for 16th. We don't have a professional circuit in this country, most of us bowl for the competition and to make a few bucks if we have a good day, and the prize structure should reflect that fact. Consolation tournaments for the guys who miss the cut are worth a look too.The more a tournament is perceived to be value for money, the more bowlers it will attract.

Just some thoughts.

the tournament bowlers association is the way to go

but referring back to jonesy when he mentioned the people who help with the ATBA / VCBA, and there was alot, these guys were all good bowlers, but were better administrators (hope i dont get anyones nose out of joint, not trying to), they were guys that loved the sport, and love the association, and it filtered through the association, everyone wanted to be there, if not on the lanes, off the lanes.

The champions of the era, sullivan, powell, thompson, hogg etc, just paid their entry like everyone else and wore the same attire.

So when you start talking associations forming, stay away from the elite being in the runnings of it, cause it has proven its a failure.

criag,
as you quoted" but referring back to jonesy when he mentioned the people who help with the ATBA / VCBA, and there was alot, these guys were all good bowlers, but were better administrators (hope i dont get
anyones nose out of joint, not trying to), they were guys that loved the sport........" and also ..."So when you start talking associations forming, stay away from the elite being in the runnings of it, cause it has proven its a failure......"
I'm afraid I would have to disagree with you on that one.

bye now

There was a meeting at the 2001 NSW Open for anyone interested in preserving the future of tournament bowling and very few bowlers bothered to show up to have their say....However, we did come up with some viable new ideas that are still very workable.
Since I retired from competition immediately following the 2002 Goldpin BendiGold Cup. and I no longer am an active bowler, I'd be more than willing to lead a Tournament Bowlers Association.
I'm open to all ideas and imput...

Wayne Chester

TOURNAMENT BOWLERS ASSOCIATION

Some good ideas

But HOW do we attract people to purchase memberships? People saying they would support it and actually forking out the money are two completely different scenarios...

No-one wants to back a dead horse, just like people will be reluctant to pay for a membership without first seeing the system working (bit of a catch 22 unfortunately).

I also dont agree that we should have seperate break-away groups from the TBA. So whatever format this bowlers association takes should be in concert with TBA - not independent from them.

ALSO - how can a nation wide membership work? How will the tournament prize funds work? What would you see done with the $10,000 you mention Robby? Do you put on a tournament in Brisbane (eliminating 80%+ of bowlers nationally) Do you run an inter-center tournament (meaning everyone rushes off to Caboolture to do their entry there?) or what?

We read so many broad "in principle" statements, but it is in the finer details that it all gets so confusing and the message lost somehow.

So - Robby, I'll put in on you - can you give us a detailed outline of how you would like to see the bowlers association configured?

I am sure both TBA and independent sponsors alike will closely monitor your idea !

Cheers

BROWNy from http://www.10pinbowling.com

Surely any tournament bowlers association (or players association) needs to be totally independant.
By all means it could work with TBA or Brunswick or AMF or whoever to solve any problem areas, but if it is to have any form of credibility it must function without undue interference from any of the existing organisations.
I would imagine that the primary function would be to make the views of the membership known to, and accepted by, the tournament organisers of all the above mentioned bodies.
Although this subject has not been discussed by the board of TBAQ, if we can help in any way with the formation of a Queensland Branch, you only need to ask.
Sports House has excellent facilities for meetings, and I am sure that the State Administrator would have no problem volunteering the occasional use of the main office which has phone conferencing, fax and internet facilities.
Andrew Shinnie, Vice Pres. TBAQ.

All right - off the top of my head, this would be my view of a tournament bowlers association.

Firstly, an independent body, not necessarily affiliated with TBA. Similar to PBA/ABC in th US.

Second - the initial monies NOT to go towards prizefunds. That is pretty pointless - might as well raise the cost of the entries. I'd be looking to establish a committee to use that money to approach potential sponsors, hire a professional management agency to chase corporate sponsorship (such as IMG, for instance) and perhaps try to organise TV coverage for the SPC (our biggest tournament). More on tV coverage later.

Most professional athletes have a manager to arrange financial matters for them. The manager gets a cut of proceeds/earnings. The tournament circuit could be the same. Hire a marketing industry professional and they get a retainer plus a percentage of any sponsorship monies.

Memberships: if a commitment from a major chunk of the bowling industry could be obtained to support this idea, then I'd envisage a players card that gives say a 10% discount on practise games and equipment for members. Goldpin and AMF incorporate a majority of Australian centres, so if we could get them onside, a discount card would be well worth 50 bucks a year to most bowlers, let alone scratch bowlers. Buy two balls and you'd be in front.

TV - the key to getting real money into the prizefunds is sponsorship, and the key to sponsorship is TV. To get bowling on TV, the stations want their advertising time for the event filled. That will take some money, and it may be that the advertising will need to be subsidised by the assocciation to some extent, but it's an investment for the future. Plan to coincide with the school holidays, when AMF run their ads anyway, and they would probably come on board. The format needs to be made more exciting so that the non-bowlers don't go to sleep - one match in a half hour show is boring. Edit the show so that we can run through a top 4 stepladder quickly. Get the bowlers to get in each others face and spice up the show a bit, too. And plaster the centre with sponsors signs. You think watching the 18-footers is more exciting than bowling? The 18-footers are on TV because every boat has a 30 foot ad on it.

Ideally we'd have all the super 6 and three or 4 of the other majors televised eventually. But finalise the show in one hit waiting two months for the public to find out who won the Coke was like watching grass grow. I'd love to see a PBA stop or an invitational event here ventually so that the producers here could get some ideas from the PBA camera crews, too.

Tournament prize funds: extra money to come from sponsorship raised by the association. Chop up the pie based on membership numbers in each state. In my view, we need a feeder State circuit in each State or region. For instance, in Qld. i'd like to see a State circuit of 8 tournaments. Add the 8 or 10 majors and that is a pretty full calender for anyone who wants to bowl every third week, but allows 6 weeks between local tourneys. Keep 3 of the AMF GP tmts, add or build up another 2 or 3 metro tmts, and support 2 or 3 in the SE corner region - Gold coast, Caboolture, Kingaroy, etc. If we could get back to the days of having 90 bowlers come to a scratch tourney, we could have the centres bidding to hold the events as the PBA does now. Or simply rotate them around the interested centres.

One thing here - the "amateur entry" concept will be important here to boost the centre linage figures, and make holding the tournaments most appealing to the centres, as well as raising interest with the average league bowler too. Or hold Pro-Ams on the Friday before, again as they do for PBA events. These events are used by the ball comanies to sell balls, too, as the bowlers can pay extra and get a ball included. Worth a try.

Time for coffee.

Rob.

Back
Top Bottom