Which Bowler did you look up to when you started bowling?

Chris Batson. He was the guy with the big hook ball that really KER-ACKED the rack! Watching Chris bowl at the World Cup qualifier at the then new Parramatta Superbowl with the then new Star Track Force 10 and AMF Angle (they only came in black, then) changed everything in bowling for me. Forever.

Then I saw Mark Roth, Pete Weber and Marshall Holman and a long line of power players on those grainy old PBA tapes.

What they all had in common? They were different; Unconventional. They did something nobody did in my centre and it worked. They ripped the rack, a lot, when it was a hard thing to do. It looked cool too. Much more exciting than the guys rolling it up 10 board. (Sorry 10 board guys!)

Age 2-8 years - Orange Idol - Peter Brown (cant believe i actually loved watching a lefty bowl haha) I remember i use to part my hair just like him. Plus he helped me win my first tournament when i was 4, doubles event.
Peter was, in my opinion the true definition of "A gentleman of the game". Willing to help anyone who asked - Peter was and still is the classiest person I know!
Whilst i was young then, our friendship is still strong today. I have never forgotten what he taught me and I pride myself on being 'the nicest guy to beat you' :)

Age 8-Current years - Australian Idol - Andrew Frawley.
Frawls taught me the ropes of traveling from Australia. Little tricks here and there to make things more affordable and more comfortable.
Frawls also taught me what I know about lane conditions. His eye for a lane pattern was amazing.
After a game or two, he could tell you who would make the TV show and of the 4 guys he would mention he would be close to getting them all right.
He could see an invisible playing field, then he would teach me to see it too.
He also taught me to play Craps in Vegas when i was 19 (legal age there is 21) - Not sure if I should thank him for that haha But he was the older brother I never had!

Age 15- Current - American Idol - The first American I saw bowl was Timmy Mack. I was used to being the guy with the most rev's and the most hook when i walked into a building. Then i saw Timmy bowl. Difference is he knew where it was going :)
Timmy showed me how to win, how to dominate an event when giving the chance. His mental game and self belief is second to none. Even now, after multiple shoulder operations, he still has belief he can dominate and whilst its not as often as it once was, he still does.
I believe I can win every event, because Timmy taught me - If you dont think you can win, then you have already lost!

Now that im a grown up - to some extent :) - I dont have idols, just those who i watch in awe! Lately the guy i like to watch most.....
Walter Ray - The guy may not be the smoothest or have the 'coolest' style but what he has done on the lanes (and what he still does on the lanes - PBA Player of the year at 50 years old) is amazing.
High scoring, low scoring, lofting the left gutter, lofting the right gutter. The guy can do it all and doesnt get the credit of been versatile. We bowled a tournament, where we were both lofting the left gutter. Walter out scored me by 200 pins. Made me sick - I told him "like its not hard enough to beat you when you can play your A game, now you can beat me up when im playing my A game too haha"
As for his ability to make spares. Its more amazing to see him miss a single pin then when seeing the 7-10 been made.

I think its important to have those foot steps that have walked before you to follow.
I also think its more important to create your own footsteps for someone else to admire.
You never know who is watching you and you never know who is trying to follow in your steps!
SO BE GOOD :)

Jb

I would have to say Steve Mackie. Helped me heaps early in my career at St Leonards. Never a problem if I wanted practice games. He would always come and give advice. Chris Batson as well. Drilled all my equipment, found the best weights that suited my game. It was only 3 weeks ago when it wasn't a problem coming to Lidcombe to help me with my bowling as I was practicing for Orange.Two great names that I have always looked up to.
Cheers Lovey

Anyone of about 20+ guys once i got hold of 'Pin Action' back in '86, Still bowling against a few of them too up this way

chris batson - so so smooth and could hook bigger than anyone

silvano prez - always loved watching people play down the gutter

tony rodrick - early on, ripped a ball harder than anyone i have ever seen

matt francis - the left handed batson

steve lovell - always had something funny to say or do

billy gardiner & jason doust - i always felt sorry for the pins

these days i find it hard to go past one person

belmo

For me Earl Athony was the greatest and will always be in my eyes. By far the smoothest, the most accurate and would often win when no other lefties we anywhere to be seen, everything I've ever aspired to.

In Australia, I looked up to Cara, Lovey and Tony Roderick mainly. Cara because she could repeat a shot like no other and proved its not about revs, it was about creating strong angles and repeating shots. Tony the most versatile lefty I've ever seen, if only I could have his release I'd win more than I do now, the guy was a freak, could do anything with a ball. Lovey, a good friend now and yet a fierce competitor, so much passion and commitment. Finishing 2nd wasn't an option, the toughest opponent I still face to date.

Chris Batson...drilled all my gear as a junior and his knowledge and ability is second to none....remember watching him bowl at hornsby averaged 228 playing the gutter...why??
cause he could and my god is was amazing to watch.
Fred Allsopp on the left smooth and deadly...always competitve....if he was having a bad day it never showed through his cool exterior.
Marshall Holman,Bob Handley& Steve Cook.

I remember Bowling in a doubles league on a Saturday afternoon, at Fairfield, with Chris Batson and Gary Little (whatever happened to Gary, the 3 stepper), from memory in 1970 or 1971.

Now that I have dated myself, my Idol was Jan Kozaki, I even bowled 5 step just like him, I even got to work with him in one of the many times I worked at Rushcutter.

willey

For me it is Chris Batson
I still believe he is the best this country has ever had

I followed him around when i was 12 unitl 15 years old as a junior
to watch him and learnt that accuarcy was everything, then
you could do anything and he did

I saw him many times average 220+ with plastic + rubber bowling balls
on lane conditions that were preparred with a nappie and buffer after
spray oil on the lane with an old fly sprayer, Those were the days

Mackie was a true legend as was Joe Velo

Today is different with seeing the US bowlers anytime you want
We had to wait a long time to see a video recording playing ina bowling
centre of some heros like Johnny Petruglia and Marshal Holman

For me it was no one extremely Famous.
But to me, they are awesome!

I started bowling 3 years ago, and the two people i looked up to where,
Dale Stewart and Darryl Alford.

Alan "shifty" Atkins - Alan was a lefty. One fierce competitor but would help anyone, anytime. Bought my best bowling out of me when I bowled a dawn breaker @ Cannon Hill many years ago.
Tony Kelly known as Pablo around bowling centres. The most beautiful swing I have ever seen and extremely competitive on the lanes. Great bowler!
Harold Fryer - Been around a little while...first to win $1000 in a Koolfoam for bowling a 300. An all round great guy and still has a great game. His knowledge of the game would be second to none.
Finally and my favourite would be Carl Bottomley. I dont think I need to say anymore here. Greatest our game has seen in this country over time and will be for some time to come.

Australian

Carl Bottomley - This guy was a freak in juniors (anyone who saw him tear up the lanes in 1985 at Junior Nationals - Fairlanes WA knows what I am talking about) he dominated as a junior and then went into adults and did exactly the same. He has pretty much done it all (multiple times).

Overseas

Walter Ray Williams Jnr - I think Belmo hit the nail on the head "Mr Vesatile". Throughout his PBA career he has been able to do what is required to win, if that means throwing a frozen rope off the edge or lofting the left capping then he will (and pretty damn well I might add). He might not show it outwardly but to be that good for that long he has got an intense desire to win, and huge fire in the belly. Not the coolest guy on tour, but an absolute legend.

Lets see....
Australia....Tom Kury probably one of the fiercest competitors ever, Chris Batson....I think it has all been said Chris drilled my first Urethane ball...watching him bowl was a privelege, Barb Richmond..another fierce competitor and was never to busy to give anyone a helping hand...Tony Kelly...Pablo...probably the nicest guy around...with the sweetest swing...if this guy ever got serious....he would have been unbeatable...

Overseas, then Marshall Holman...and David Ozio....now.....PDW & Norm Duke....Norm just knows how to win and is so versatile....

Australia - Ian Bradford, Andrew Frawley and Carl Bottomley. Ian bowled at Melton for a few years and averaged about 180 - 190 right handed and averaged about 170 left handed. Being quite young at the time, I really only watched the Coca Cola Classic on TV.

International - Chris Barnes for consistency and smooth style.

Bigsy...

For me there were a few. However as I didn't start bowling until I was 19 I was admiring them as almost peers who were streaks ahead then of even what I am now.

Let's see Ian Bradford - late 80's briefly bowled a league at Essendon which bowled just prior to Classic Singles league that Ian bowled in along with a lot of other talented bowlers including Ron Powell. Lanes were oiled by a rag on the end of a broom. Dry as buggery yet Ian made it look easy. The best bowler I have seen when on his game almost unbeatable.

Steve Lovell - although the name itself I reckon should be enough it was back in the late 80's bowling in my first ATBA tournament at my home centre, Northcote and suddenly who walks onto the pair for the next block but Steve. Couldn't contain my nerves all block but was amazed to get some encouragement from Steve even though he was intensely concentrating on his own game. A great entertainer, fierce competitor yet a sportsman and a gentlemen on the lanes which is something sadly missing out there in general today.

Andrew Frawley - one of the countries best who I was also lucky enough to share lanes with in an AO in the late 80's early nineties. Funny story is that we both had the same double ball bags. I forget what they were called but they were all the rage and a lot of bowlers had them. Well it turns out Frawls was staying at a mates flat and had the keys and had dropped them into my bag by mistake. When I got home and grabbed my scoresheet out of my bag I also pulled out a set of keys (not mine). I rang Sunshine bowl and found out he had gone down to Northcote to bowl in an SPC or Singapore No Tap qualifyer. So I went down to the bowl and returned the keys. Frawls has always had time for a chat with me since, however we all know that would be the case even if the key incident didn't happen. A tremendous ambassador for not only bowling but for Australia.

Belmo - Although I was long past the growing up stage when he come on the scene, got an insite into what the future held for this guy when after a Melbourne Cup squad at Mooroolbark one year, I gave a lift to Belmo, Jarrod and a few other bowlers I can't remember who now (sorry guys), to Ivanhoe Golf Course wasn't going to let them take a taxi seeing I had an empty car. For a guy about to move into his early adulthood he showed a maturity and respect to his fellow man which impressed me, and I knew then, his unique bowling style was not the only thing that would propel him to where he is today. If only all todays Youth showed the same characteristics in their general life.

There were many others that were genuine influences on my game Cara Honeychurch and Carl Bottomley among them. I also had the priveledge of watching Chris Batson bowl at Bankstown back in 91 where he easily produced a 279, a smooth tactician indeed. Had the pleasure of practicing regularly with Brian Bridges in recent years who still can throw a ball down the lanes just as good as in his hey day.

I will also never forget seeing Earl Anthony at Sunshine bowl anyone who was there knows why.

..........I will also never forget seeing Earl Anthony at Sunshine bowl anyone who was there knows why.

Please tell us the story...

Besides being a great guy who always had time for me, Earl was arguably the greatest bowler in history as well as being one of the fiercest competitors I've even known.

I watched Andrew Frawley a bit when I was a kid in the Coca Cola Classic when it was on Channel 10, but then it stopped and I didn't worry too much about it, then I started in juniors and didn't really look up to anyone - then I was at my local centre (Windsor) one night and 2 guys: Aaron Perrin and Anthony Evans were bowling and they were pretty accurate and turned the ball on the lane a fair bit which as kid I thought was great and it reminded me of Frawley and that is how I got interested into bowling with reactive gear.

Now a bit older (and hopefully a bit wiser) I don't really look up to anyone but do have respect for a few.

Jason Belmonte,
Jason Doust,
Steve Lovell (even though he is left handed..haha)
and Ross Brown

Back
Top Bottom