What couldn't go Wrong at Mt Gravatt Youth Cup

WOW!!! 1 person was 5mins late and your all having a cry? and complaining about the rules?? Well lets see, if you have an interview or an important meeting and your 5mins late they don't go well hes not here on the designated time lets go home now do they? NO!!! they wait 5 to 10mins, JUST LIKE THE TOURNAMENT DIRECTOR DID, the tournament director is well within his/hers right to wait an extra couple minutes for the bowler.
As one of the most recent people to miss check in, I was quite annoyed that check in had closed and the bowler was still able to bowl. I am aware that each TD will run their events as they please, but I do think that there should be a ruling somewhere that applies to ALL national events in this regard. Its not the first time that bowlers have been late, delaying everything and still been allowed to bowl (re: Hobart Cup).

Pathetic, as my fellow recent "check in misser" has stated very well, the problem is that tournament directors do not follow across the board rules on this issue. Jen and I were both unfortunate enough to miss check in only a matter of weeks ago at a National tournament and were not allowed to bowl, both then missing out on probable cash and ranking points. This is not sour grapes, as I totally understood the tournament committee's decision in upholding the rules in our case, but how is it fair that you were allowed to bowl in the same situation and that the rules have been bent in other cases as well? Rules need to be followed across the board, no matter what the circumstances are and no matter who is involved.

Contrary to what you've said, no, tournament directors are not within their rights to "wait a few minutes" for a bowler... the rules are stated on the entry form so every bowler should know what they're in for when bowling a tournament, they're not there just for the fun of it. And your comparison to league couldn't possibly be less relevant.

Just a few comments.
1. When the tournament was first announced, an entry form and prize fund would have been handy. The people who were taking names and entries did not bother with this, and it wasnt until Sue came along that an entry form was posted (from what i believe). Lets not let ametures set up and pretend to run tournaments, leave it to people who know what they are doing.
2. I was quite disappointed that games were taken off the qualifying and second stage, this should have been told to all the bowlers during check in.
3. I was shocked on sunday night while looking back over my scores for the weekend to find my last game was recorded incorrectly (and this wasnt my fault, no bowlers wrote down scores on the second day). Not only does this affect me, but also other bowlers, seeing as my new pinfall meant i was to finish a place higher.

I hope next year, if the event is held again, that from the time the event is advertised, that things can be done properly.

Thanks, Hamish

no my attitude is comming from seeing everyone have a whinge about the rules and yet they go and do that exact something else where in life or in bowling. When it comes to tournaments i'm sure you have seen it too porto people doing something they should b carded or even thrown out of the tournament for i know i have seen it and it don't happen they just give them a warning. this post started out excuse the language but one guy bitching about 1 person being late. every1 is late for a list of excuses for anything in life it even happens in tournaments all the time and just like jhk67 said "Now im going to say something which might annoy a lot of people but if it was an even more high profile bowler who was late and a local as a reserve waiting there. I bet you anything the TD would wait longer for the high profile bowler." im not trying to have a go at every1 in bowling im just having a go at the persistant ignorant bowlers. this wasnt ment to be a hate post specific to any1 and just went over the top when they had a cry over 1 person in 1 tournament being late, people are late in leagues constantly even circuits and they still bowl

If you think i'm having cry you are totaly wrong i'm just putting up a post which i have every right to do and also get everybody's opinion on this subject and if it was a high profile i wouldn't certainly hope they wouldn't wait cause rules are to be in place for reason not for rules to be broken which this TD has done in this case.. As a Few other people have stated i think there should be a tournament team at Every National ranked event.

no my attitude is comming from seeing everyone have a whinge about the rules and yet they go and do that exact something else where in life or in bowling. When it comes to tournaments i'm sure you have seen it too porto people doing something they should b carded or even thrown out of the tournament for i know i have seen it and it don't happen they just give them a warning. this post started out excuse the language but one guy bitching about 1 person being late. every1 is late for a list of excuses for anything in life it even happens in tournaments all the time and just like jhk67 said "Now im going to say something which might annoy a lot of people but if it was an even more high profile bowler who was late and a local as a reserve waiting there. I bet you anything the TD would wait longer for the high profile bowler." im not trying to have a go at every1 in bowling im just having a go at the persistant ignorant bowlers. this wasnt ment to be a hate post specific to any1 and just went over the top when they had a cry over 1 person in 1 tournament being late, people are late in leagues constantly even circuits and they still bowl

No one is having a cry its just a matter of opinion and the people that post here think its only FAIR that if they follow the rules then others should do the same, its like letting one bowling do any self-enhancing drug they like and not let the others do anything, its just plain and simple stupidity, bowlers in TBA ranked tournaments follow the TBA Rules that are on the ENTRY form, their own fun comes on how well they PERFORM not whether they can act like a complete dipstick on the lanes or not.
The rules are there for a reason, if you travelled 70km/h in a 60 zone (in a car) and no one else was within 50 kilometers of you, is it right? Hell no i dont care if your batman there is no reason why anyone should be treated any more equal than someone else its completely bullsh*t...
If your 5 minutes late for check in your 5 minutes late for check in and you SHOULD suffer the consiquences, if your doing 70 in a 60 zone and get caught, then you should suffer the consiquences.

Alex

All i have to say to pathetic is that 18 bowlers (1st reserve included) were checked in by the advertised time but only 17 were allowed to bowl - how is that fair? 17 out of the top 18 qualifiers did the right thing by getting to the bowl before the advertised time and 1 did not. You quoted something about being late to interviews or meetings but the difference is they dont get told if they are late a reserve interviewee will take their place do they? Or does this happen and I'm just living in a fantasy world?

That's all from me.

Bobba aka Robert Elliott

Well Dont Get Up N E One But The Ppl That Let Me Bowl Well i Didnt Hav N E Worries Bout Not BOwling But They Let Me BOwl And That's That Its In The Past Now Soo Y DOnt You's Just Let It Go Jesus Crist Its Ova And Done With. But No Matter Wat Ppl just hav to keep goin and goin and goin it gets a bit childish u cant say it doesnt and yes every one has their opinion to the particular tourney and how it should been run and **** but i cant help wat went on.

I see the short bus has finally arrived , and i see we have another person in the industry whose hat size doubles when they become a TD too, whoopee!!:rolleyes:

I think we should all be looking for something positive to come out of the event, which is now in the past, rather than continue to criticise what is in the past.
I think this is the most common-sense thing that has been said, and should also be remembered when people have their opinion in this thread. (Well said Porto)

i also agree with looking for something positive.
for instance....

might have to get back to you on that one.
lol.

Toni the article is well said and is true we are attracted by the prize money that is offered in events. But well done to all others and look forward to the next event. Cheers

i'm going to start with a positive here, well done to the winners of the tournment, Jayde and Adam you both deserved your wins.

after reading this topic since sunday it has clearly becoming a slaying match.
i think alot of ppl would agree that the whole weekend did not go as to plan, from a bowlers point of view.
with the qualifying being changed from 12 games to 10. and the elimanation final being changed from 5 games to 3. the computer screens were constantly wrong, which ment we had to continually stop bowling and the presentation, well thats left to speak for itself.

in regards to the bowler who was unfortunatly late, sometimes these things happen, i dont think anyone is trying to make you feel bad they are just making a point that being a nationally ranked event it would be great if there was consistancy across the board, with bowlers not being permited to bowl after being late at recent nationaly ranked events. whether it is a well known bowler or a local bowler each rule should be applied to everyone. and pathetic with your comment about well known bowlers getting away with being late, i think you will find a couple of years ago an extremly well known bowler who is now internationally known was 1 min late to check in and was unable to bowl.

in regards to the prize fund, i was under the impression that all changes to prize fund are to be revised after final check in is called? if i am wrong i apoligise but bowlers travel from far distances to bowl tournments and if the prize fund is continually being changed during tournments many bowlers will not travel and tournaments will not be run.

pathetic you have made some valid points in your posts, but in regards to TBA bowlers not having fun i think you should rethink that. whether a bowler is a TQI or TBA there is a certain level of fun that everyone has but at the end of the day if ppl bowl better by sitting down and not talking to everyone or by listening to music, each to there own, these ppl have all paid there $190 to bowl and obviously want to do the best they can to win, which is why most ppl do bowl...? so i dont think ppl should be singled out if they like to concentrate as ppl who like to talk or joke and muck around shouldn't.

i dont want any one to feel as tho they are being singled out by what i have said and if they do i am sorry in advance. the idea of a national tournment committee is one of the most positive things to come out of this weekend but as we all know these things take time but hopefully its something that can be looked at for the future

Bianca

There was a presentation? :confused: HaHaHa...

I totally agree with what Bianca had to say.
I suppose the past w/e has been a learning curve for all TD's, showing them what not to do

Back
Top Bottom