What couldn't go Wrong at Mt Gravatt Youth Cup

KnuckleHead

Vic Represent
Hey all everyone that was there on sunday would of known what happened.

1 bowler was called 4 times before he checked in but it was already past the closure of check in i think he was 5 mins after but yet he was still able to bowl in stage 2 yet the reserve was already waiting there ready to bowl (aka Matt Kanafa) so this bowler was able to bowl in stage 2 qualifying as i heard from around the bowl that the Tournament Director said this is my tournament and i'll run it they way i want. Now i don't know if that bit is true. But in TBA rules but don't know what rule it is but once check in is closed shouldn't the first reserve then be called into bowl..

During the briefing we were not told that the prize fund was going to be revised now what is the ruling on that. I thought you are meant to be told at the briefing that the tournament will be having a revised payout. As First place in the Guys was a 1000 for first yet only got 855 i think and the girls was 800 and only got 655. is there any ruling on these to rules..

If this post is alright with the Jase and Kellie..

I thought it would be alright to get peoples opions on this Forum that i have posted..

1 bowler was called 4 times before he checked in but it was already past the closure of check in i think he was 5 mins after but yet he was still able to bowl in stage 2 yet the reserve was already waiting there ready to bowl (aka Matt Kanafa) so this bowler was able to bowl in stage 2 qualifying as i heard from around the bowl that the Tournament Director said this is my tournament and i'll run it they way i want. Now i don't know if that bit is true. But in TBA rules but don't know what rule it is but once check in is closed shouldn't the first reserve then be called into bowl.

Now by my understandings that is a big load of s**t, while i might not be in the bowling scene anymore i do personally know what it is like to rock up to a tournament check-in late and not bowl, this person that was late should have NOT been able to bowl and this was a TBA ranked tournament am i not correct? So therefore TBA rules should apply, if not then what is the point of having the rules?

Alex

Rules are rules and they are there for a reason...

I thought the payout was pretty pathetic even if the numbers were down a bit. Knowing AMF Brisbane the game rate must have been pretty high coming from a regional manager who knows nothing about league or tourniment bowling, then makes a manager from another center the tourniment director for whatever reason who can't run the tourniment according to TBA rules. Despite what happened it was a great tourniment and i hope this doesent effect bowlers decisions to return again next year.

Well it could have been run a lot better...

Total bowling didn’t even get asked to do live scores for this event...we don’t do the scores for us, we try and provide loved ones and friends from afar scores so they can see how everyone is going, then when we tried to set something up, we got help from Janelle (THE CENTRE MANAGER), but not the other lady which I think you will find she was the tournament director. Cutting a prize fund isn’t a good way to attract bowlers to come back and compete in years to come. I think there was one person there that wanted to run the show her way or no way at all, and the sad thing is, she will now see that next time it is ok to ask for help and not try and bite off more than you can chew.

As for check in, you will find each tournament director runs that part of it as they see fit…I don’t agree with it but I think this is where our sport comes unstuck…I believe there should be a complete Tournament committee set up to run ALL National Events…Both Adult and Youth…

It's also about time Prize funds are advertised before the event starts...They know when numbers are reduced then they have a fair idea on the payout also being reduced...It's not fair on interstate travelers to find out after Flights, transport and accommodation are used and paid for, that after making the cut you don’t even get an entry fee back…

This whole event right from word go, was run very poorly…

Thread is fine Chris...

I was thinking whether to go to this one next year but after reading this, I might have to seriously reconsider.

Very Poor Form :(

I heard from many of the bowlers who attended (especially those who cashed), that they are not going to come back to this particular tournament.
The payout was very poor in comparison to what was advertised, and what made it more disgusting was the fact nobody knew it was being altered until we received our cheques. I do not think it would have been frowned upon quite as much if we had been told during the briefing on Saturday.

As one of the most recent people to miss check in, I was quite annoyed that check in had closed and the bowler was still able to bowl. I am aware that each TD will run their events as they please, but I do think that there should be a ruling somewhere that applies to ALL national events in this regard. Its not the first time that bowlers have been late, delaying everything and still been allowed to bowl (re: Hobart Cup).

My overall opinion on this event was that it was very poor, especially for a national event.

Jen

I believe there should be a complete Tournament committee set up to run ALL National Events…Both Adult and Youth…
I agree with this Jase. That way, all the events will be run in a similar fashion and people will know what they are in for, when deciding whether to attend the event or not. Especially for the interstate travellers.....

ok where to start...

RULE 9 On the Entry Form..
I Quote
"Bowlers not checked in by the advertised time will be disqualified and will have NO Claim ANY prize money"

Well he ended up coming 10TH.. Just 20 pins out of the 8 Cut..

PLEASE EXPLAIN

The Entry Form
It was Posted with Just over a week to go until the first ball was bowled.
It should be out 2-3 maybe even 4 months before the tournament.

Info on the first form was wrong.

PLEASE EXPLAIN

Defending Champion
They didnt Get Free entry to defend there title...

PISS POOR

I Will not Be returning unless there is A MAJOR turn around in this Tournament

Ashley Warren

Well isn't this a very poor example of Customer Service, even close to being discriminating to tournament/league bowlers. I bet you they don't treat the social bowlers like that.

Also the people who cashed should ask for the rest of it. Really if they didn't bother to make an announcement that the prize fund would be altered due to lack of entries that is AMF's fault and they should cop the brunt of the loss, not the bowlers. Why should the bowlers pay for POOR Management?

Winner of the Mt Gravatt Youth Cup = AMF

hamo

tony hamilton

ok where to start...
RULE 9 On the Entry Form..
I Quote
"Bowlers not checked in by the advertised time will be disqualified and will have NO Claim ANY prize money"

If this is stated on entry form, than the Td should have followed the rules, as advertised. Next reserved should be entitled to some money. Verry poor indeed

If this is stated on entry form, than the Td should have followed the rules, as advertised. Next reserved should be entitled to some money. Verry poor indeed

Well The TD should come on here And EXPLAIN HERSELF :???:

From the Famous words of Pauline Hanson

'PLEASE EXPLAIN'

hahaha you just have to read the entry form with the format. trouble right from the word go. looks like double checking with wording was not one of their strong points at school.

Matt

I think we should all be looking for something positive to come out of the event, which is now in the past, rather than continue to criticise what is in the past.

Reflecting on what Jase has said, a tournament committee could be set up with official tournament directors in every state. Another alternative would be for the TBA to simply inform the tournament director of the guidelines they are to follow when running a tournament.

Thinking of things to put in place to prevent what happened last weekend is the way to go

Unfortunetly this was run poorly from the release of the first entry form.
It is great for bowlers to cash (as this is the reason people bowl - to win money) but it is quite distressing for bowlers to collect their prize, open their envelope and not get the payout they expected. This should have been addressed on Saturday.

A tournament committee SHOULD be set up with official Tournament Directors in every state.

Brad and Rachel

I think prize money should be based upon, guaranteed and advertised as if there were minimum bowlers and not an imaginary but hopeful figure.

ie, next year's tournament be based upon this year's number of bowlers. Work the payouts out on this year's model plus/minus adjustments for sponsorship etc.

Then, as nominations increase, so does the plan for payouts after deducting the additional costs such as lineage. Whether the field is then paid deeper or the prizemoney at the top increases, that can be determined as more PAID entrants nominate, and announce the changes as they happen. The final payouts should be announced at the briefing.

That way the only direction the prize pool can go is UP. It's like a roller coaster, the more bowlers who see prizes actually increasing, the more who will get on the bandwagon. It works the other way too, as soon as some people start withdrawing (they can because they haven't paid their entry fee as yet), more people start perceiving the prize money to fall and therefore starts the snowball effect. In the end, tournament directors, sponsors and bowlers all feel the pain of it.

Max

WOW!!! 1 person was 5mins late and your all having a cry? and complaining about the rules?? Well lets see, if you have an interview or an important meeting and your 5mins late they don't go well hes not here on the designated time lets go home now do they? NO!!! they wait 5 to 10mins, JUST LIKE THE TOURNAMENT DIRECTOR DID, the tournament director is well within his/hers right to wait an extra couple minutes for the bowler. IF you want to talk about rules ill talk about rules. What about all the people who skitch and swear etc and get a way with it? what about that huh? if this was a "TBA" Tournament then there should of been a substantial amount of tournament staff on the lanes to help and to make sure there is none of the bad things. Another thing NOISE POLLUTION, i know this is true as its in the TBA Rules and regulations stated 3times and i have been pulled up on it before, a bowler yelling or screaming even chanting is classed as putting a bowler off his concentration which is violating the bowlers etiquette.

now your all gonna read this and have another cry and go yea yea woteva blah blah blah I DONT GIVE A RATS ASS you all whinge about rules etc and yet no1 enforces them cuz if we enforced every rule but the book bowling would be boring and there would b no point in turning up to have fun because you can't. for those who know me ive been ripped a new a'hole many times because when i bowl i like to have fun and my fun consists of loudness which surpasses many ppl and it just ruins my fun, which has turned me away from tournaments especially TBA because your all mainly a bunch of uptight "professionals" ITS 10 PIN BOWLING THE AIM OF THE GAME IS TO HAVE FUN

not make enemys not be a tought nut not be an uptight idiot just make friends bowl together have fun and stop crying

enough has been said and done over the years of bowling

just grow up guys honestly

peace out

Adz

Pathetic... Your attitude is what's stopping the game from getting the recognition it deserves. Don't get me wrong, everyone deserves to have fun but BY FOLLOWING THE RULES.
This thread isn't about you, it's about events that unfolded on the weekend and how we can prevent things like that happening again. It was a national tournament and things went wrong.
Save your negativity for somewhere else.

I have just read the entire thread and I can see why some people are upset about a bowler being 5 minutes late.

Now im going to say something which might annoy a lot of people but if it was an even more high profile bowler who was late and a local as a reserve waiting there. I bet you anything the TD would wait longer for the high profile bowler.

"All bowlers are created equal. But some are created a little more equal than others."

no my attitude is comming from seeing everyone have a whinge about the rules and yet they go and do that exact something else where in life or in bowling. When it comes to tournaments i'm sure you have seen it too porto people doing something they should b carded or even thrown out of the tournament for i know i have seen it and it don't happen they just give them a warning. this post started out excuse the language but one guy bitching about 1 person being late. every1 is late for a list of excuses for anything in life it even happens in tournaments all the time and just like jhk67 said "Now im going to say something which might annoy a lot of people but if it was an even more high profile bowler who was late and a local as a reserve waiting there. I bet you anything the TD would wait longer for the high profile bowler." im not trying to have a go at every1 in bowling im just having a go at the persistant ignorant bowlers. this wasnt ment to be a hate post specific to any1 and just went over the top when they had a cry over 1 person in 1 tournament being late, people are late in leagues constantly even circuits and they still bowl

Back
Top Bottom