what about this

Sure…but this is mostly all that the other states have for tournament play to compete in…South Qld has an event nearly every weekend…Something has to give if this is the case…Most of the time it will be the “HARDER SCORING EVENT” that suffers…History is proof of this…

That’s why they get bigger numbers, not to mention promoters who get off their backsides and do something about it…

Tonx, Cow, Matt and the likes work hard at their circuits…Hats off to their hard work and ethics…That is another reason there numbers are up…Being only new has nothing to do with their numbers being up…

The 3 factors that do are…
  1. Promotion
  2. Variation
  3. Prestige

People have said that sponsorship is required…Not really that necessary for low costing events run in one day…If you want the events’ to be huge then sure that’s when you need it…

I know when Jeff first set this up it was all about a few blokes getting together who wanted to test their skills on the not so open house shot that was available to them at the time…It grew from there…

The reason is simple - bowlers or the lack of , while it's all good for a couple of guys to get on a forum and say we need the sport series, try this try that but none of this will work because there is a lack of scratch bowlers in south east qld.

The sport series ran for a number of years with a group of hardcore bowlers that bowled every event (and if they didn't i wanted a dam good reason) it was around 20 bowlers, but you need 30-35 bowlers to make it worthwhile.

I called this guys hardcore because they were just that, it didn't matter if they bowled well or struggled all day they kept on coming knowing that in the long run they would be better bowlers.

As for going to different centres - it's a great idea but how many centres will give you a $3 a game rate which Batesy was doing ???

Different formats - i think we tried a heap of different formats with the last format was the best - 8 games moving after every game top15 to 3 man matchplay.

I meant alot of bowlers that bowled 1 or 2 events never to be seen again but i heard them telling people that the sports series was crap and the conditions were ****, here lies the problem with bowling - put down a REAL CONDITION and the best bowler will win (carl bottomley proved he is the best we have!!!) , most of the bowlers that think they can bowl will find out very quickly that without the ditched up lanes they bowl on they can't average 180 let alone 200.

I think what needs to happen is that all the scratch bowlers/tournament bowlers need to ask themselves a question -

WHAT HAVE U GIVEN BACK TO BOWLING ?

Most won't like the answer in front of them but until the majority of tournament bowlers get of the arse and start helping out or be faced with fewer tournaments to bowl in.

most of the bowlers that think they can bowl will find out very quickly that without the ditched up lanes they bowl on they can't average 180 let alone 200.

Try 150 let alone 180 Jeff!

Though I will admit that I still enjoyed it every time I bowled. You are right also about the people bowling, with the likes of Carl, Terry, Pilko and Hammo, just to name a few, it was well worth it. Cashing was a bonus! ;-)

I will put my name down for next year in the hopes that we will get back on track up here in maroon territory. The hardcore guys made the tourny what it was and I hope they will put their names down for next year also, so that it WILL kick off again.

Here's hoping.

Cheers, Rhyss.

Agree with bfcc 100%.

Used to bowl in early ones. Two of us used to drive up from Ballina.

Since 1/2 successful shoulder surgery can only bowl 3 or 4 games at a time, so can't do tournaments.

Want a sport series, there's one way only to get it. Support it with early entry, with decent numbers, regardless of how you cope with the conditions.

Believe it or not - neither wingeing or doing surveys of " what everyone wants" has any effect.

Back
Top Bottom