What a difference an OIL PATTERN makes.

Looking at the scores at Caboolture Kegel tournament I rest my case regarding TOUGHNESS. Dockers

OUtside of Brian Looby who had a pretty good weekend, do you HONESTLY believe the seniors would have done any better on this condition than the other 2 we have already seen this year? I, for one, do not purely because the majority of seniors can only play in their comfort zones, whereas todays more knowledgeable and better prepared players are more versatile and work together to open a condition up.

Seniors AO was a classic example where the majority of bowlers simply played their preferred lines and totally trashed the shot. I read with interest that the AO/Vic 150 will be played on the same condition as the Seniors had. I am also betting the scores will be much higher

I think this stuff about tough patterns is nonsense. I scored poorly at the Seniors AO because I had never seen the pattern before and may not again. Which is precisely the problem. How do you get to learn to handle different patterns if you don't get to play on them. If you wan to shoot the house down there are monthly tournaments, league nights and coloured pins. Shouldn't scratch ranked tournaments be serious competition? What is the obsession with scores? What if the tournament winner averages 230 or 202, it's all about competing against the players in the field, and should be about shot making and accuracy.

dockers u r an idiot.

no way in the world the seniors would have scored remotely near what was shot this weekend at the kegel.

if it was a senior tournament on this condition in this house looby would have won by a mile because he is a good bowler, pure and simple!

regardless of patterns, tournamanet patterns should always be tough, short or long, high or low or no ratios!

u are way out of step with the modern game and this proves it with stupid comments like this.

go to the lawn bowls green or nursing home where you belong.

dockers u r an idiot.

no way in the world the seniors would have scored remotely near what was shot this weekend at the kegel.

if it was a senior tournament on this condition in this house looby would have won by a mile because he is a good bowler, pure and simple!

regardless of patterns, tournamanet patterns should always be tough, short or long, high or low or no ratios!

u are way out of step with the modern game and this proves it with stupid comments like this.

go to the lawn bowls green or nursing home where you belong.

There's nothing the matter with having different ideas about the same matter. Even strong, completely diametrically opposed ideas / views.
There is no good, or even acceptable reason to substitute abuse for debate, unless you have ambitions to become a politician.
How about we let the pollies have a clear field, hey?

Gotta agree on the abuse Jim.

No point continuing the argument.... Dockers only starts the threads, never stays to contribute or reply to others opinions.

Sounds like a real grump to me to be honest.

Some Patterns suit certain players. This one did not suit me and I came 90th! Didn't complain though, just knew I need to bowl better. Seniors would've struggled on that pattern just as much as the others they have moaned constantly about. Looby is just a bloody good bowler and whatever condition is thrown down he adapts.... Seniors or not. It would be great to have more like him around both groups (seniors and opens) to educate.

Gotta agree on the abuse Jim.

No point continuing the argument.... Dockers only starts the threads, never stays to contribute or reply to others opinions.

Sounds like a real grump to me to be honest.

Also coming from someone who probably doesn't even bowl!

Looking at the scores at Caboolture Kegel tournament I rest my case regarding TOUGHNESS. Dockers

It is a shame that someone with such history in the game only comes to start a post, with a negative comment and without what it would seem to be knowledge on the modern game, nor contribute further. I would suggest getting another hobby of some kind.

There was some high scoring on the weekend, but not by everyone, now if the shot had opened up and was super easy then just about everyone would have scored, can't remember but 48 out of 108 over the card??. I was obviously pretty happy with how I bowled, but I can tell you, I probably haven't bowled that well in execution physically for quite a long time, I would even suggest years, not to mention I matched up perfectly it would seem with the right equipment (also another major factor in todays game), all big factors.

There were plenty of other guys who shot numbers and if you were to break each of those down individually, I could give you a reason why they did and it would be for different reasons. There were also plenty of other bowlers with high skill levels who didn't score so well. Another factor is the reasonably clean lane surface at Caboolture plays a massive part and the change in condition from an updated pattern allowed better control in the midlane over the previous year, which for me is great and usually a lot of other players for various reasons.

Lastly, there shouldn't be a seniors vs open vs juniors vs anything, we all should be here to promote and support the game. I don't give a toss how old you are or what you bowl in. Believe it or not, there are many plausible and valid reasons why one type of bowler will bowl well on certain patterns, and why also certain patterns will play great or a dog breakfast depending what centre you go to.

I have no dramas with what pattern is laid down. I didn't bowl to well myself on the weekend and at no time have I complained about the condition. I learnt alot and still am able to pull a lot of positives from it.
Tournament patterns shouldn't be easy no matter the event. I actually quite enjoy bowling on the wtba patterns as it helps myself lern more and more.
As mick said these days it all about matching the equipment up with the condition, I thought I had the right stuff and it was my execution that let me down all day.

Just want to say a massive thanks to Batesy, Mary and all the team who have once again staged a great event with a full field.

Does Dockers even realise that both seniors & this tournament used a WTBA pattern.

Granted all 3 patterns were different, but had that 3:1 or less ratio.

Although...

Looking at her profile, Dockers viewed this thread only 40min prior to me writing this without posting a reply, so perhaps Dockers real hidden agenda is to get the bowlers that know there is nothing wrong with this type pattern to voice up, so those that are sceptical can learn there is nothing wrong with the pattern.

Job well done then Dockers, you are getting people to vouch the truth just as you secretly want.

For those of you who dont know,Doreen Dockery is a member of our Hall of Fame and has earned the right to be able to express an opinion in this forum.
I think it is great that she is still so passionate about the game to even voice her opinion. We all know the game has changed, but as Jim said, we all have the right to express an opinion and generate debate, without be abused by others. Isnt that why we have this total bowling website ?
BTW congrats to Barb for doing so well at Keon Park on the Sunday to win !! Great comeback !

For those of you who dont know,Doreen Dockery is a member of our Hall of Fame and has earned the right to be able to express an opinion in this forum.
I think it is great that she is still so passionate about the game to even voice her opinion. We all know the game has changed, but as Jim said, we all have the right to express an opinion and generate debate, without be abused by others. Isnt that why we have this total bowling website ?
BTW congrats to Barb for doing so well at Keon Park on the Sunday to win !! Great comeback !

Sorry, doesn't matter who a person is, and I respect those that have bowled before me as much as anyone, I do however have no time for people that just want to sit back and stir controversy with comments and offer nothing constructive. Yes everyone is entitled to opinions, but it would certainly be helpful to the sport to not have people continually put things in negative areas under the guise of 'voicing an opinion'.

Took the words right out of my mouth.

I too have great respect for those who have bowled, achieved and reached great heights but i draw the line at people who just want to create angst and negativity on this forum. Pure and simple. The sorts of comments like at the start of this topic just brood for arguing and further degrade the sport.

Maybe i might have been a little harsh with my opening sentence but what do you expect when someone puts up these sorts of comments then sits back and watches the fireworks. How can that be contributing to anything at all?

BTW, well done on the weekend again mate.

Jase

Took the words right out of my mouth.

I too have great respect for those who have bowled, achieved and reached great heights but i draw the line at people who just want to create angst and negativity on this forum. Pure and simple. The sorts of comments like at the start of this topic just brood for arguing and further degrade the sport.

Maybe i might have been a little harsh with my opening sentence but what do you expect when someone puts up these sorts of comments then sits back and watches the fireworks. How can that be contributing to anything at all?

BTW, well done on the weekend again mate.

Jase

Easily fixed. Ban!

Back
Top Bottom