Video - Heart of a champion

John_Velo

G’Day All,

I don’t know if anybody has seen this video. Well worth a watch. It goes for just shy of 19 minutes. Features Michael Haugen JR and talks about his knee injury. It also has a great look at the mental toughness of some of the elite bowlers in the sport.

http://painchannel.tv/?vid=YwdHUwMjqbuul1ggVGbkiUX-i_w0HFJe#ooid=YwdHUwMjqbuul1ggVGbkiUX-i_w0HFJe

As a kid, I simply never quite got why Dad would get so annoyed with me and why he always told me to play another sport. As I have gotten older I am starting to understand that. I love to play sports and always give it 110%. But I don’t care if I win or lose as long as I gave 110%.

Elites of any sport are amazing people and I love hearing how they think and learning about what makes them tick.

Now, back to work.

Hi Carlin,

I could not agree more. Regardless of the conditions or equipment, the top guys are amazing for what they put their bodies through week after week.

Back in the seventies there was a bit of research done, what came out, was an estimation that a 200 average bowler with a 16lb ball would lift 1 tonne of weight in a 16 game qualifying session. Yep, back then it was two blocks of 16 games to qualify.

Obviously today’s conditions are different the lanes simply don’t take that many games and the high friction balls need to be thrown harder.

Hi John That story was very interesting and the short video just shows that as long as your balanced at the foul line it doesn't matter how you get there the shot will remain the same. I can understand what its like as I am suffering from Right Sciatica pain and it affects my approach and speed but with practice this shows anything is possible if you don't let go of your dreams.

Lyndon

Hi Lyndon,

I could not agree more. The best advice I could give any young bowler is never give up on your dreams.

I did for over 25 years as I allowed others to get the better of me. Bowling is like any sport hard physically and mentally. I believe that anybody can bowl, that's the beauty of the sport.

Possibly the biggest thing after being able to physically throw the ball, is the mental side of believing you can do it.

When I stood up to bowl league for the first time a few months back, my first thought was I don't belong with these guys. I looked around and there were some of the top guys in the Illawarra and I was sharing that space with them. People that I grew up wanting to bowl against where there, then there were some of the young guns that about to set off to play for Australia. Six months in and it feel the same every time I step up to bowl.

This truely is a great sport.

Back
Top Bottom