Tournaments

Easy Tiger

After seeing what happened with the Aspley Open over the weekend, I have a simple question:

Why should a bowling centre proprietor host a major tournament and what incentive is there in this country for a centre to host tournaments? During the same time they could be running social play at highly inflated game rates, so why host tournaments for the bracket of bowler who is a minority?

With the new baggage policy Virgin has adopted this wont be the last tournament this happens to. With everybody crying how much it costs to fly interstate (Airfares, Entry, Accomodation etc) nobodys going to fork out an extra $200+ exccess baggage on top of there fare to go to a tournament.
The need to cut back on the amout on ranked tournaments is even more urgent now if tournament bowling is going to survive at all.

wasnt it call the super 6 before at some stage?

instead of having 14 adult events(like it is this year), just have them for each state?

super 8 series?, Start in March and finish in Oct and have one everysingle month..

wouldnt be soo much then...

then i'm sure there would be more room for more littler tournaments in each state, like the sport series tournaments of something like that...

I'm not so much asking about why aren't people supporting, but rather if you were a bowling centre manager or proprietor, why would you want to host a tournament?

There are at least two major reasons why a proprietor and centre mamager would want to host a scratch bowling tournament.

1) To add additional lineage income onto what would otherwise be one of the slower periods in a centre. If you've looked at the formats of the ratings tournaments you'll find that rarely do they schedule bowling after 6:00 pm on the weekends, which is a centre's prime social bowling time.

2) Some proprietors / managers care about the sport and it's future. The TBA is always talking about and creating 'pathways'. Without any tournaments in which to compete, these 'pathways' lead to what, nothing! So next time you attend a tournament, do something for the sport of bowling. Go up and thank that bowling centre owner and/or proprietor for doing their part for all of bowling.

2) Some proprietors / managers care about the sport and it's future. The TBA is always talking about and creating 'pathways'. Without any tournaments in which to compete, these 'pathways' lead to what, nothing! So next time you attend a tournament, do something for the sport of bowling. Go up and thank that bowling centre owner and/or proprietor for doing their part for all of bowling.
Wayne,
That's probably the best thing I've seen you post on this site, well said.

Stuart

Well said Wayne, you will probably be panned for what you have written by those on this site with agenda's but there would be no such thing as a Tournament, if the Centre's were full. The Tournaments over the years were always designed to Increase Linage during the event, not as some kind of Benefit to the Bowlers, although I've seen many a Grand Prix event run like it was a Benefit to Bowlers, especially the Women, these were run by Managers who had the wrong outlook on Business.

Reading some of the posts already written, again we have those wanting to decrease the number of Tournaments, I can still see my Prediction of only having 1 Major Tournament, that happens 4 yearly, in line with the Olympics, with a combined Junior, Senior, Male and Female divisions to make up the numbers.

willey

Spot on Wayne.

Im sure 20 lanes operating at tournament game rate is better than 0 lanes on social play at 9am on a Saturday.

there would be no such thing as a Tournament, if the Centre's were full. The Tournaments over the years were always designed to Increase Linage during the event, not as some kind of Benefit to the Bowlers, although I've seen many a Grand Prix event run like it was a Benefit to Bowlers, especially the Women, these were run by Managers who had the wrong outlook on Business.

Nonsense, Willey,

If everyone, including the Centres operated on a purely selfish level, nobody would get anywhere in the longer term.

There were lots of tournaments run in the early 1960s, when sometimes it was hard to close a Centre each and every day, because of the number of ppl wanting to bowl. I've seen a 2 or 3 hour waiting time to get a lane at 9.30 at night. Centres still ran tournaments. So now, everything is different. This is what I posted on the " Aspley " thread.

The reason that all tournaments are not full, and that they are not sponsored for huge prize funds,and for low cost or free entry ( or paid entries ) is that fortunately or not, Bowling is essentially a participant sport - not a lounge potato one. Nobody, in recent years has had any success in finding a way to make it into a spectator sport with lots of non-playing followers. Therefore, no TV, no publicity, no large National and International sponsors.
So, the bowlers and the proprietors are in this together.
Each had better support the other wherever,whenever and however possible.

There was a time when statistically Kedron Bowl was the busiest center in Australia. They ran 4 leagues every day or the working week, yet they managed to run tournaments regularly. They also hosted the Coca Cola Classic one year. It's incorrect to assume that if a center is busy they can't run tourneys. That comes down to poor management.

There was a time when statistically Kedron Bowl was the busiest center in Australia. They ran 4 leagues every day or the working week, yet they managed to run tournaments regularly. They also hosted the Coca Cola Classic one year. It's incorrect to assume that if a center is busy they can't run tourneys. That comes down to poor management.

Looks like a lot of that going around lately.

I have worked in Bowling Centre's for 36 years, from 1969, I have also worked in 14 different Centres in Sydney, Campbelltown, Newcastle and Mackay, some doing over 50 linage, if you didn't have a Tournament on at 9am on a Sunday you had nothing.

willey.

Back
Top Bottom