Qld Cup v Queensland Ladies Classic

GeorgeF

Hypercell = Hyperhook!
This weekend Brisbane will host the QLD Cup and the Queensland Ladies Classic. Both events attracting National ratings points and interstaters. It never ceases to amaze me how one person can make such a difference to a tournament. As at 21/06/04 the QLD Cup had around 42 entries and the QLD Ladies Classic had 53.

Why is this so? Why is a single womens event can generate more entries than a Nationally rated open event?

Let me tell you my personal thoughts....................

MARY FLOWER - Mary is unbelievable, the organisation, the effort which goes into ensuring every event is a memorable occasion is nothing short of amazing. From organising lifts to and from the airport, billeting, accomodation, the list goes on................. A one man show that personally delivers an enjoyable time for everyone who participates. Why wouldnt you bowl? Hell, if she'd let me throw on a skirt I'd even bowl! :D

I really dont know whats wrong with Super 6 events in QLD, why doesnt anyone support them? They offer great money and contrary to what people think, we have a huge base of bowlers in QLD who can really play!

I dont know the answer to solving our tournament dilemas. Why is it in Melbourne 130 people show up to bowl and when we run the once prestigeous QLD Cup no one bothers to enter. It cant be the money because its not too much different from the other events we bowl.

I don't know what the answer is but once again I'll be bowling my ass off trying to win my first QLD Cup title. Congrats to Mary to her tournament entries, a huge accomplishment in itself. Maybe AMF could pay Mary for her services, I'm not sure on the answer but I think the issue needs to be addressed on various levels......................

The answer is very obvious George..Bowlers don't support the Queensland Super Six tournaments because no one enjoys throwing the ball 20+ mph ..and I DO mean throwing. Maybe if the QLD centres who hosted the ranked tournaments would actually put some oil in the heads once in awhile, bowlers would begin to show up again.

Also....a working air conditioner wouldn't hurt..it's not a just luxury anymore.

It will be interesting to see how the TBA oiling regulations are circumvented this weekend... :wink:

Unless they're flooded, I'm picking Brando to win by a mile !

Hey George

Do they have as many tourns in Vic as we do in Qld. I know how hard it is to find a weekend just to run a tournament.

Hi Wayne - No need for air conditioning at the moment its pretty cool up here.

Jeff.

Hi George

Maybe the cost of accomodation and other expenses involved with getting to QLD could be an issue for most people.

Not only that those people that had entered the melbourne cup may not have time available to take off work or are still recovering from the cost of the tournament. For example: I just bolwed the melbourne cup and the expenses I had to pay out were $230 for accomodation, $295 for the cost of the event, $220 for the cost of a hire car and then there was the cost of airfairs there and back which cost me around $270 and then there was food. All up for that weekend I paid in excess of $1000 just to bowl in one tournament.

I would love to bowl in the QLD Cup but when I pay those sort of expenses per tournament I would have to be a millionare just to do it. My next big event will be the nationals in October and then depending on how I save my money I may do the Brunswick Cup in December. If I was just good enough to cash and get my money back It would be great. Then at the same time not everyone that competes in the Melbourne Cup will be good enough to get their money back at the end of the day. I dare say that if 130 competitors from the Melbourne Cup got $1000 after the event then you would probably find that 75 to 90% of those bowlers will bowl in the QLD Cup.

Also another point to look at is out of the 53 bowlers that are bowling in the QLD ladies Classic, how many of these people 1 bowled in the Melbourne Cup and 2 have recently bowled interstate to that of their home state??

Just my thoughts on the issue.

Its just a waiste of money really why travelle when there are so many tournies in ya own state too much money for acco i say

Firstly good to see the ladies having the entries up congrates to Mary Flower.

George, you know it aint like me to argue with u..but the money is not that great for QLD..it isless then previous super six events...i mean i am still going but this may be a reason.

It also took me a while to find a decent airfare..i mean i was looking at $400 a flight at one stage so this maybe another reason.. i was lucky to grab a Jetstar flight for $190 and have friends take me to Gold Coast to Brisbane.

And Wayne has a point about the conditions..ppl are getting feed up with going up to sunny QLD and then booking into the Physio for the next week. Dont remember the last time i bowled in QLD with a decent amount of oil down.

But i do hope the entries increase.. i mean as you said it is a major tournment and one that everyone would like to win. So anyone who hasnt put there name down to play give it ago...especially the local folk up there.

i think the cost 2 bowl $280 for the amount of prizefund has taken its toll here. And with less entrys its going to be cut considerably.

Mary Flower = Legend... its not the fact that its one of the only LADIES tournament but the support mary gives the people that bowl.. shes a champ to bowl with and shes an awesome person, gets along with everyone even the younger dudes hehe, the money is a big factor but look at this particular tournament its a LADIES tournament there arnt very many of them around, and so the female gender supports it!

Krystal

i think its a cost factor.........its bout $100 cheaper to bowl QLD ladies.....keep bringing the entries in im sure numbers will come up a bit by the wkend

i cant bowl due to moving house..........but good luck to everyone bowling

Having 3 majors in the one month can't have helped either, after Perth and Melbourne some peoples wallets would be down to the moths.

first kriddle is right mary is a legend.. she could draw crowds to watch the grass grow.

But i know with the qld cup i would have loved to have a go with the talent that is bowling, but $280 is not damn cheep for a person who the chance of getting money is extreamly remote. I mean it would be better off for me to put that towards a ball or financing my trip to the nationals and deVeer.

When you think i have to make $1000 for deveer/nationals, + flights + accomodation then also have to pay to go to rocky for nationals 650 kms away and stay there.. So $280 is a big thing. for what the prize fund can give back aint great incentivce to bowl..

Back
Top Bottom