Qld Cup - Prize Fund

Jez

I am sure everyone who has got the entry form for this QLD Cup is wondering the same question

Why is the prize lower then other Super Six events with the entry fee still being $280 ????

I think it is like $900 for 5th ? Is it just me or is this a bit strange..

not to mention that there was 16 games qualifying at AO, again, same price, compared to 12 at Mt Gravatt?

Broni

There is less sponsorship from AMF, I am waiting on the prizefund breakdown which I will post here as soon as I get it.

I agree mate.

Whats going on?

Here's a small camparsion from AO to QLD CUP.

AO more games?
AO and QLD based on same entries?
QLD cup less money in prizefund?
Same entry fees?

All i want to know is why the difference in prize fund.

Jason Belmonte

Ps- why the drop in sponorship G?

I would figure that, given AMF took a BIG loss at Cannington having only about 59 entries, that would be the reason. Their national tournament budget only spreads so far and the prizefund in Perth wasnt slashed too much at all compared to what it COULD have been. They made up a bit at the AO but nowhere near enough to make up the shortfall.

Being over budget for entries at the AO was nowhere near enough to make up the shortfall. Might be wrong, but I reckon that might be why.

INCOME
90 entries/$280 25200
sponsorship 4000
TOTAL 29200

EXPENDITURE
LINEAGE 5940 (consists of qualifying 4860 & mplay 1080)
P FUND 20790
GST 2520
TOTAL 29250

graham said:
INCOME
90 entries/$280 25200
sponsorship 4000
TOTAL 29200

EXPENDITURE
P FUND 20790
GST 2520
TOTAL 29250

GST on the prize fund?????
You've got to be kidding me mate...That's the most absurd example of creative accounting that I have ever seen. You mean the government charges us GST simply because AMF holds our money for a few hours before disbursing it all back to the bowlers?

Oh yeah..and $5,940 in bowling revenue for a day and a half ain't too bad either. I wonder if the bowls have done that well during any other weekend this year.

i dont necessarily agree with it, but its what happens.

Personally Id like to see a ruling from the ATO as I think it is a bit rough that GST is taken also.

I think Carl Bottomly is the most qualified person to comment on this subject, I'd like to hear his views

INCOME
90 entries/$280 25200
EXPENDITURE
GST 2520
GST is 10%. 2520, is believe it or not, 10% of 25200. We pay tax ON EVERYTHING! Everything you pay for at the supermarket is taxed, every time a mechanic fixes your car your taxed. Any Good or Service (hence the Goods and Services Tax) is taxed. I would list allowing people to use your bowling alley is a Service, hence the reason why we paid 10% tax only on the entries.
So Wayne, your statement of
'You mean the government charges us GST simply because AMF holds our money for a few hours before disbursing it all back to the bowlers?'
is wrong. The government doesn't tax us for that. They tax us for the Service we are using. The Bowling Alley.
Thats my understanding of it all.

Later Da Cowman!

Just thinking out loud!, But would there be some way that Amf Could set up some kind of Tournament commitee (separate entity), So that GST would not have to be payed...hopefully you guys knows what i mean here :) as this would put an extra 15k into the Super 6 series, maybe a lower entry fee or increased prize pay out, which would benefit all bowlers and would make these events even more attractive than they already are.

Just a thought

Bruv

graham said:
INCOME
90 entries/$280 25200
sponsorship 4000
TOTAL 29200

EXPENDITURE
P FUND 20790
GST 2520
TOTAL 29250

Two points about this taxation:

1) AMF need only to publish in their entry forms that the lineage cost to the bowlers is nil. (covered by the "added sponsorship" money)..thereby avoiding the need to pay GST on the cost of the games.

2) In the event that AMF won't take the above stand. GST only needs to be paid on the lineage income of $5,940 NOT on the prize fund portion of the entry fees. Therefore the GST will amount to $540..which is considerably less than Graham's figure of $2,520.

I'm pretty sure any tax lawyer will agree with my interpretation of the GST laws.

Also..just to make a correction on the GST amount provided by AMF..$2,520 is NOT a correct amount. The correct amount is actually $2,291

That's your free math lesson for the day..

I think the only way GST can be avoided is if your turnover is under $50,000 and you have not registered with the Feds to pay GST.
A tournament committee which is a separate entity from AMF might be an answer if it doesn't handle amounts of over 50k in a year, but the tax man could argue that it was under the AMF Umbrella and therefore the turnover would exceed the ceiling.
TBAL has a tournament Committee to handle the Nationals and TBAL tells us that that Committee is a separate entity. I don't know if that is for GST purposes or not.

All the bullshit about GST still does not solve the problem with the prize pool. Yhe other super 6's had to pay GST. Maybe TBA expect less Victorian donations.( I mean entry's ).

GST

Graham's figures are pretty close in respect to GST. GST is 1/11 of the total entry fee. Total Entry around $30k total GST to the Gov a tad under $3k. There are a couple of ways it can be altered but they are very combersome. Involved is setting up a committee quite seperate from AMF to handle only prize money and with the $50K ruling you would need seperate committees in each state for each tournament.

You could take responsibility away from AMF and basically just rent their centres but then you risk losing all their sponsorship altogether.

I know AMF have looked into this quite deeply and there really isn't a way to stay within the law and reduce the GST component.

Sorry dont make the rules only enforce them.

When the ATBA was around i'm pretty sure we didn't pay GST on entry fees in the majors they controlled at the time (Aus Open and Melbourne Cup) Can someone explain how that worked?

Is there anyway of forming a committee that can fall into a non-profit organisation therefore GST does not apply and the ruling of the 50k doesnt apply either.

Does anybody know more about this type of organisation

Organisations

IT is possible but even if the $50K level doesn't get you Non Profit entities still register at $100K. The time involved in setting up an approriate organisation and the $s involved would outway any benefits.

Just a question for anyone knowledgable on the subject.

Seeing that GST is payable on the prizefund part of the entry fee and this is then paid back to the bowlers, does AMF then write this off as a loss on their tax, as a deduction from the gst payable???

If this is the case, is the sponorship from AMF really just us getting back the gst part of the prizefund they have claimed as a deduction??

AMF's sponsorship is valued in these events, I'd loke to ask the question of all events that have to pay gst and can claim the loss of prizefund (seems a strange way to refer to it), is this money put back into the prizefund or taken as extra profit for the centre??

Hoping not to open too bigger can of worms here

Chris Thomas

There are a couple of point that really need to be clarified.

1. the money collected is divided into two parts
a) linage - tax I belive is incorporated within that
b) prize fund - no tax (no gst)

2. sponsorship - money is given by AMF no gst on that

so does that mean any association that runs a tounament could get hit with a bill from the TAX office?

[/quote]

Back
Top Bottom