To Block or Not To Block!!!

D

Ducati 851

I thought this may get some interesting responses from bowlers Australia wide, in the leagues and centres that I bowl at, and from many tournament bowlers there has been a lot of word that some lane conditions are just too hard to bowl on , as compared to the ABC in America, where a certain bowler named Jeff Carter finished a season on a 267 average and in his career has thrown something around 78 300 games.....however, he has only won 10 grand in 3 years in the pba,

Bit to the point, who here in Australia would like Blocked lanes , aka, Ultra High Scoring Lanes, cough cough aka Caboolture

Just out of curiosity, because recently I have had instances where bowlers have quit a league because it is too tough, and its more than a few

So for Blocked shout a Shit Yeah

and For Unblocked, shout Bloody YANKS

Here is a very good example of why not to smoke when you are pregnant! :lol:

Here we go again :evil: . Bowling now is way to easy then years gone by :lol: 300's now mean nothing in high scoring allys. No skill needed now for 200+ ave in leagues. Stand here, throw there, strike. WOW. Just ball speed to control not much skill in that :wink:

Ducati..I think you should do a little fact finding research before you post another one of your of paragraphs full misinformation.

Jeff Carter has OVER 100 perfect games.

In the past PBA season alone, Jeff Carter made $27,870 in 18 PBA National Tour events and in 2004 he cashed in for $18,625 in 23 regional events. His lifetime PBA earnings are in excess of $100,000

In the 2000-2001 season Jeff recorded an unbelievable 261 average setting the record the for a single season high average.

My apologies, wchester, his stats werent the point, its really high scoring lanes or ultimate challenges on certain conditions, and those stats that i obtained must have been inaccurate

good bowlers bowl on any oil crappy bowlers complain.
bolock and more block. no more arch of oil top hat all the way :wink: :lol:

Not only should you not smoke when you are pregnant, but now we have an example why you should not sniff petrol either! :lol:

Easy scoring lane conditions suck.
Fair lane conditions for all are better.
The sport conditions are good for your game, but not popular with bowlers in general.
How many leagues in Australia use a sport condition/s?

When bowling was popular and booming, it was hard and a challenge. You had to be 'accurate' to be good, not just hit those 6 boards.

It seems that a challenge to alot of bowlers these days (especially the younger ones) is to get to the next level on their favorite Xbox game rather than work on their bowling game.

Some interesting links on this subject:
http://www.usatoday.com/sports/bowling/clark/2001-10-16-clark.htm
http://www.bowlingfans.com/approach/114.shtml

Easy lane conditions make for lazy bowlers.
This usually is seen when they go to a tournament where "the lanes" don't suit them and don't we all hear about it.

Our junior and youth bowlers should be training on tougher conditions so that they may be able to compete and be competitive on the world stage.

Strikes are impressive but spares are just as, if not more important. If you can't get a strike because "the lanes" don't suit you and your not a very good spare shooter because the centre you bowl at has blocked lanes, that you can get your six bagger on, to get you out of trouble after 3 open frames then where are you at?

Lost!!

Could go on for hours. :evil:

Rob

This is great, Im loving these responses, personally, I think sports conditions are fantastic ideas, seeing the mental approach of bowlers to their game when they are struggling, I prefer tough lanes, but having some easy conditions to have the apporach of that well over 200 average is great aswell, I think you need a good blend, and i think robs comment couldnt be more spot on

How about people learn how to bowl on tougher conditions and not get tough confussed with crap.

Better yet, why don't people learn about lane conditions.

Why do you want blocked lane conditions?? Blocked lanes are the reason why 3 game a week bowlers are averaging 220 and then complaining when they enter tournements and bowl crap, because they don't know how to bowl.

Rob is right. But if people actually practiced, you know, leaving the house and bowling a couple of times a week OUT OF LEAGUE, then you would probably find they would shoot more consistantly. But something else too. Bowl in other centres. Experience what it is like in other centers. If you dont want to leave your center, then try practicing at different times. Before the center oils, after it oils, with lots of lineage and not much lineage.

Learn to bowl and understand lane conditions, then you may have right to bitch about what you want. I feel sorry for the managers and techs that have to liten to all this crap. Sure it is them that set oiling patterns, but you should see how much work is involved with setting up a pattern that works. My hat is off to them.

Roy Boy

i don't know why the T.B.A just doesn't extend its tournament oiling rules into league play.

and lets face it, 90 % of a centres clientelle wouldn't give a toss what they are bowling on.

and if the inflatable ego's wish to bowl on their blocked league conditions, they simply will be bowling in a non sanctioned league. then they can bowl whatever they like and everything will be in perspective. i think whats annoying us more, is the fact that these players are getting recognition, that they probably don't deserve.

i come across a good example of this on the gold coast a few years back, the centre i was running was a very high scoring house, i went about shaving roughly 10 pins off the league average.

over 60 bowlers it was 195 - 200, from experience 185 - 190 seems to be fair to a high quality league.

so what did the bowlers do? they went up the road to the bowl the would give them the scores they deserve. Lead by a rachuig bowler who couldn't accept that he wasn't a 235 average bowler.

the funny thing was, that centre ran like crap and i ended up there anyway, so i had to go thru the same process again. the irony of this story is the 2 highest scoring centres are now closed, and now most of them bowlers are stuck with bowling in the toughest house on the coast.

as a tech, i spend more than the required hours a week, trying to keep my bowlers happy, but as we all know thats impossible.

Back
Top Bottom