The New Minus handicaps

}-Adam-{

iLuZoN
Minus handicaps

Is a TBA sanctioned league allowed to have minus handicap?
If someone doesn't become a tba member does the league automatically lose its sanctioning?

Re: Minus handicaps

Is a TBA sanctioned league allowed to have minus handicap?

Of course it is. Why would you think otherwise?
Most leagues either (1) raise the basis average for the handicap calculation to be higher than the best average in the league, or (2) simply cap it at zero handicap (which is unfair to the lower average bowlers, of course). Negative handicaps give exactly the same result as (1), although convincing your average league bowler of that is often difficult.

If someone doesn't become a tba member does the league automatically lose its sanctioning?

No. Theoretically, their scores don't count. I guess if anyone ever made an issue of it, AND TBA directed the league to disregard those scores, AND the league refused, then they might lose their sanctioning. Of course, if a suitably pragmatic person were the secretary of such a league, having been given said direction by TBA, one might simply send TBA an adjusted standing sheet with said scores deleted, and if said standing sheet failed to match that used at the awards night, who would know?
Alternatively, a cynic might suggest that unless an award score was shot during the league season, nobody would give a toss whether it was sanctioned or not. And possibly not even then.

If your league constitution states that you must be a TBA member by.... say week 4 and you dont then you really are disqualified from competing in that league at all. I have seen bowlers being told at the end of week 4 "sorry but unless your TBA membership is paid before you start next week you will be unable to bowl as it is against our rules". No different to most other sports - no pay = no play.

All league officials must be TBA registered or they cannot hold office. One of the reasons for this is to ensure they have their league responsibilities clearly stated as in the TBA rules and if they fail to comply then the TBA have the grounds on which to follow up. Otherwise the league itself is left with the problems of sorting things out or (worst case scenario) taking legal action itself.

I have seen tournaments run with negative handicaps and it is a bit of a mind shock/stumbling block for someone with a -10 to start with. But it is another aspect of our mental game that we must learn to deal with.

There used to be a scratch leauge at Illawarra Strikezone (not sure if it's still running) where they used negative handicaps for those over 200+ ave. I think, at one point, Neil Donelly was shooting from a -29 hcp!!!

I love my Twin Tour minus handicap :p (-32!!) Ask Chris Wingett what his is!!!!:D Lucky theres money to be won with scratch pinfall

There used to be a scratch leauge at Illawarra Strikezone (not sure if it's still running) where they used negative handicaps for those over 200+ ave. I think, at one point, Neil Donelly was shooting from a -29 hcp!!!

You may be talking about Brunswick Trios. That league (somebody please correct me If I am wrong) at one point went off of either an 80% of 220 or an 80% of 230 handicap basis. I can't remember the exact figure. It may have been both at different times. The Don (Neil) had a 220 or 230+ average and I think that was the biggest in the league from memory.

I have seen a few people in our Friday singles league bowling with a minus handicap close to -29 though, haha.

Hooroo

Rowey :p

You may be talking about Brunswick Trios. That league (somebody please correct me If I am wrong) at one point went off of either an 80% of 220 or an 80% of 230 handicap basis. I can't remember the exact figure. It may have been both at different times. The Don (Neil) had a 220 or 230+ average and I think that was the biggest in the league from memory.

It's probably Friday Singles Rowey,

To get -29 from a 220 cut of at 80& would require an average between 255-260 (If my quic math holds up). Friday is set off 200, and therefore would require something closer to 235-240. Which The Don is capable of at XZone.

It's probably Friday Singles Rowey,

To get -29 from a 220 cut of at 80& would require an average between 255-260 (If my quic math holds up). Friday is set off 200, and therefore would require something closer to 235-240. Which The Don is capable of at XZone.

Yeah, that's right. I believe you yourself had a handicap close to it years back too for a bit. I think in general the minus handicap system, though, works out to be fair.

Back
Top Bottom